Corrie - Come Dine With Me special

View previous topic :: View next topic  
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:41 pm    Post subject: Corrie - Come Dine With Me special Reply with quote

looks like a larf... I'll upload it tomorrow.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where does Come Dine With Me go after its Coronation Street special?
The Corrie one-off starring the grotesque Ken Morley was more like an avant garde art piece than a dinner party
7th December 2010
The Guardian

It had Julie Goodyear literally whipping her guests into submission; Philip Middlemiss in a bright blonde wig; a very scared Tupele Dorgu, and Ken Morley dribbling and leering his way around dining room tables. Actual Coronation Street may have just ploughed a tram off a viaduct into dear old Rita, but the Come Dine With Me Corrie special was the real trainwreck of last night.

Despite the best intentions of Goodyear – who put up a decent fight, what with her manservant and his uniform of basically three small lengths of leopardskin dental floss – it was Morley who proved to be the centre of attention. It's hard to know which part of the show made him look the most grotesque. It might have been the dishes he served, each coming with a desperately punworthy name (Chicken Corrie, etc) despite all looking like identical dollops of nondescript mush.

Then again, it might have been his burping. Or his farting. Or his dribbling. Or his dress sense. Or the hilarious anecdotes about all the ways he used to trick Coronation Street staff into touching his penis. Or the constant, constant, tiresome attention-seeking. Either way, last night Ken Morley made a fairly convincing case that he's the most witlessly obnoxious man on the face of the planet. Forget dinner parties; most people would probably have a full-scale emotional breakdown if they were even asked to share a lift with him.

In fact, you do wonder if CDWM itself can survive the berserk, disconnected avant garde performance art pieces masquerading as dinner parties in last night's special. In less than six years, the show has transformed from cheap daytime filler into a lumbering, fearsomely ubiquitous cultural presence. This might well stand as its peak – its red giant moment, a sign that it's operating at full stretch and will soon collapse in on itself, exhausted.

To be fair, the writing has been on the CDWM wall for a while. After this year's glorious Big Brother special, where Brian Belo attempted to draw juice from a lemon by gingerly jabbing at it with a potato masher, it was clear that CDWM – or at least its celebrity version – was becoming increasingly interested in caricatures.

The question is: what should the show do next? Scale back, perhaps, and concentrate on the format that originally made it so successful – five relatively normal people cooking for strangers while an off-screen narrator screams sarcastic abuse at them? That's an option, and the one most likely to secure the show's longevity.

But surely it would be much more fun if Come Dine With Me instead decided to go all out and turn itself into the full-on, balls-to-the-wall freakshow it clearly wants to be – although who you'd find to trump Morley is unclear: possibly Gillian McKeith, forced to eat a big pile of raw lard while wearing a dress made of live insects? Or an escaped chimpanzee in a bow tie, perhaps? We could all just sit back and watch them blundering around and bumping into furniture and accidentally setting fire to things and crying all the time. It'd be brilliant. There's no guarantee that it'd be any more profoundly odd than last night's Corrie special, but at least you couldn't blame them for trying.

-----------------------

If you want to watch, it's available from the soaps download section. It was gruesome at points!
superhands

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't find it to watch on the forum... Any idea where it is?
I watched it, but my folks missed it.
Ken was unbelievable.. farting at the table and all kinds...
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you look at the main forum page, you'll see the 'soaps, reality tv and other' forum in the downloads section.
superhands

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found it, thank you Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Soaps All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: