Corrie - Boyzone star to return

View previous topic :: View next topic  
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:09 pm    Post subject: Corrie - Boyzone star to return Reply with quote

CHARMER CIARAN'S BACK AND CHASING CHELLE
DAILY STAR SUNDAY
24th January 2010
By Susan Hill

CIARAN McCarthy is back…and wastes no time turning on the Irish charm in a bid to bed Michelle Connor. The hunky barman, last seen in Weatherfield nearly five years ago, bumps into his old mate Peter Barlow. And as the Navy pals catch up, Peter reveals he’s opening up a new gastro-pub with lover Leanne Battersby before offering Ciaran a job. With nothing to lose, he accepts the offer and decides it’s time to come back to the Street.

And he quickly goes for a pint in his old workplace – to the delight of the locals. But it’s Michelle he has his eye on. She moved to Weatherfield a year after Ciaran left and is delighted to meet him. An insider said: “Peter and Leanne bump into Ciaran while visiting a restaurant out of town. Peter can’t believe it. A lot has changed since Ciaran was last in the Street. But he’s glad to be back. And with someone as hot as Michelle working in The Rovers he’s more than happy with his decision to return. There’s going to be a lot of good stuff coming up involving Ciaran. His former fiancée Sunita Alahan has also returned recently so he’ll no doubt be bumping into her too at some point. Then there’s the matter of another of his ex-lovers, Tracy Barlow, also coming back. You can bet it’s going to be a very interesting time for Ciaran.”

Fans will be able to see the Irishman’s return to the Corrie cobbles a week tomorrow.

--------------------

His character was pretty cool really
pirtybirdy
'Native New Yorker'

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh goody! I loved Ciaran!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Twirley

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It'll be nice to have him back. I was just thinking that there aren't any strong male characters on Corrie.
SpursFan1902
Pitch Queen

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is good to have characters come back from the past. When that happens, characters talk about the past and newbies like me get more of the back story.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Return to Coronation Street healed my pain, says Keith Duffy
Feb 7 2010
Steve Hendry,
Sunday Mail

KEITH DUFFY has dried his tears. It's four months since his Boyzone bandmate Stephen Gately died and while he won't ever forget, he can look forward without his eyes misting over. The singer and actor has returned to the public eye in Coronation Street as Irish charmer Ciaran McCarthy and he credits the soap with helping him deal with losing a best pal.

He said: "Stephen died on October 10, 2009. I've been back in Coronation Street since the end of November and those weeks in between were possibly the worst of my life. Having this gig gave me something else to focus on. It was a saving grace. There are still days when I can't believe he's gone."

Keith, 35, had known Stephen since they joined Boyzone with coming Ronan Keating, Shane Lynch and Mikey Graham and were managed by Louis Walsh. He died from heart failure aged just 33 while on holiday in Majorca with partner Andy Cowles. In March, release new single I Gave It All Away, featuring Stephen's vocals, and Keith believes his late friend had a hand in picking what will be their tribute song.

He said: "This was one of his favourites. We weren't able to release it two and half years ago due to political reasons. It landed on our laps a week after he died which was bizarre but we all took it as a sign from him it should be released. He sings beautifully and the words to it are uncanny in relating to our situation at the moment."

Friendship is something Keith takes seriously and it played a major role in his return to Weatherfield as Peter Barlow's wayward ex-navy mate Ciaran, both behind the scenes and in front of the cameras. It's been five years since he was last on the show when Shelley Unwin's mother Bev made a drunken pass at home but he has stayed in touch with many of his former colleagues.

He said: "Whenever Boyzone have played in Manchester I'd send an invite down to Corrie. A few people would come to the show and we'd have a drink after it. There was a lot of talk about Ciaran coming back and here I am."

Ciaran's return has meant teaming up once again with Chris Gascoyne, who plays Peter, an alcoholic who has fallen off the wagon again. The actor went out of his way to help Ciaran his first time round on the cobbles.

He said: "He's been a true warrior for me and I think it sh ows on screen. We are very comfortable with each other. Nobody's happy to see Ciaran back except Peter. He's known for liking a drink and being a ladies man and everyone thinks he's going to help Peter fall of the wagon again but it's the opposite. He tries to help him - not very successfully, I might add. Ciaran has a good heart, he's just a bit of a nutcase."

While Keith is enjoying his return as the roving ladies' man in Weatherfield, he has hopes of a meatier role in the future. In his absence from the soap, Keith, who is married to Lisa, and has two children Jordan, 13, and Mia, nine, has worked hard at acting - on stage and on TV in Ireland. He's a better actor than w he n h e first started and is keen to show off the results.

He said: "Seven years ago I was coming out of a job I had been in since I was a kid. I was travelling round the world with four other guys and had a great sense of security. Going out on my own and doing a job like Coronation Street which is in so many people's living rooms four nights a week - especially my own family's - was daunting. This time round, there's no comparison. There's a massive difference in experience, ability and understanding of the trade. I thought I could give the job a better crack this time."

Keith's in Coronation Street for at least six months and, apart from being separated from his Dublin-based family, is relishing his return. Whether or not it turns into an extended run is out of his hands, as is the decision on whether he would accept any such offer.

He said: "The decision to come into Coronation Street wasn't a decision I took alone. I sat down with the lads and told them what I wanted to do and they gave me their blessing. We've lost a member of the band and I don't think we could go any further if the four of us weren't all in agreement. I love being in the band but I love being on Corrie. I need this. This is the individual, independent part of my life and we all need that. The downside is that my family are in Dublin. The kids miss their daddy but I get home at the weekend and make sure we spend quality time together. You just have to play with the hand you're dealt. And to be fair, my hand is a pretty good one."
SpursFan1902
Pitch Queen

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So ....acting, music, good looks, all topped with that accent...the only downside I can see is the headband and the thought process that went into wearing it. Is that the fashion now for young, hot actor/singers? I know the footballers wear them but I have only seen them on the pitch, with the exception of Ronaldhino, who as we know is not a fashion icon...
pirtybirdy
'Native New Yorker'

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen quite a few of the Korean drama actors wearing those headband thingys too. Some wear it well, some don't. Laughing Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duffy forced back to Coronation Street due to cash pressures
12 February 2010
belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Coronation Street star Keith Duffy has admitted financial pressures were partly behind his decision to return to the show last month. The 35-year-old, who plays barman Ciaran McCarthy on the iconic British soap, revealed that investments he made at the height of his pop and acting fame had been ruined by the recession.

"I'm not putting a figure on it but I've had losses on property investments. I made a nice few bob but with the recession, investments I had went in the wrong direction. Commercial stuff I had in the UK went the wrong way. I've just had to tighten my belt and go out and graft again," he told the Irish Independent. Despite his money setbacks, Keith insisted he would continue to work even if he was financially secure. "I can't not work. My time is full regardless of what I'm doing. I keep myself as busy as I can," he added.

The singer-turned-actor was in Dublin's Westbury Hotel yesterday to launch his latest charity drive in aid of autism. It is a subject close to the father of two - his nine-year-old daughter Mia is autistic. He has now thrown his support behind a new website - www.autismsupport.ie - which provides information on services for people with autism and their families.

Next Saturday Keith Duffy will join US film star Samuel L Jackson for a Valentine's fundraising ball at the O'Reilly Hall in UCD. Dinner will be cooked by chef Richard Corrigan, followed by a performance by singer Dionne Warwick. The event is a fundraiser for the Samuel L Jackson Foundation and Irish Autism Action.

----------------
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keith Duffy quits Coronation Street to rejoin Boyzone
March 22, 2010,

London (ANI): Irish singer Keith Duffy has decided to end his stint in ‘Coronation Street’ to devote himself to his music career with Boyzone. The star had recently rejoined the soap to play the role of Ciaran McCarthy, which he first played for two years from 2003.

However, he has again decided to step down. "I need to concentrate on being with the boys. We've got a lot coming up so I've decided they'll take priority,” the Daily Star quoted him as telling Sunday People. He added: "I love the show so it's been a hard decision. But I know it's right. I've made lots of friends on the show so it will be bad to leave them, but I have to commit to the band."

The band is planning a tour soon, following the death of band member Stephen Gately in October last year.
pirtybirdy
'Native New Yorker'

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking that's a bad move. I could be wrong, as I don't know how "hot" this band was before, but I don't have a good feeling about it.
Kezza
Gone To The Dogs!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with you, Pirty: The only reason I knew of "Boyzone" (living in the US) was from Irish gossip magazines my mum's friend sent to her. Oh, and weren't they briefly featured in a U2 video for "The Sweetest Thing"?

Never saw them on any video channels, nor heard them on the radio.

But best of luck to 'em - hope Corrie will have Mr Duffy back in the future.
Twirley

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he's messing Corrie and us around. Doesn't put him in my good books, that's for sure!
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keith Duffy isn’t leaving Coronation Street
March 26th, 2010
Lisa McGarry

Keith Duffy has denied reports that he is leaving ITV’s Coronation Street. An article in The People claimed that Keith was leaving the show at the end of this year and quoted him as saying: “I need to concentrate on being with the boys. We’ve got a lot coming up so I’ve decided they’ll take priority. I love the show so it’s been a hard decision. But I know it’s right.”

However, Duffy has now insisted that the article was “pure speculation” and told the official Corrie website: “I am happy and very excited to be working on Coronation Street. I’ve got some great storylines coming up and whilst I do have commitments to Boyzone, I have been able to combine the two things very well.” He added: “I love playing Ciaran!”

--------------------

But is this story the fake?!
pirtybirdy
'Native New Yorker'

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess time will tell, but I'll wring his neck if he does leave! lol!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Soaps All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: