Skin cancer detection

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Health and Fitness
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 2:47 pm    Post subject: Skin cancer detection Reply with quote

I thought this was pretty cool. I am big on keeping my skin protected. I moisturize at least twice a day. Wash it at least twice a day and always have at least SPF 15 (usually higher) in one form or another on my face. I am also sure to protect my skin on the outside areas. It's the largest organ we have and we tend to forget out it.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw something on the tv the other day about dogs being able to detect quite a few forms of cancer by smell alone. Skin cancer is easiest for them as it's on the skin, but they can even detect lung cancer from smelling a person's breath - brilliant.
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is amazing Face. I haven't seen that. I'll have to look that up. We must be so glad we domesticated them! I know I am!
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogs Smell Cancer in Patients' Breath, Study Shows
Stefan Lovgren
for National Geographic News
January 12, 2006

Dogs can detect if someone has cancer just by sniffing the person's breath, a new study shows. Ordinary household dogs with only a few weeks of basic "puppy training" learned to accurately distinguish between breath samples of lung- and breast-cancer patients and healthy subjects.

"Our study provides compelling evidence that cancers hidden beneath the skin can be detected simply by [dogs] examining the odors of a person's breath," said Michael McCulloch, who led the research.

Early detection of cancers greatly improves a patient's survival chances, and researchers hope that man's best friend, the dog, can become an important tool in early screening. The new study, slated to appear in the March issue of the journal Integrative Cancer Therapies, was conducted by the Pine Street Foundation, a cancer research organization in San Anselmo, California.

Dogs can identify chemical traces in the range of parts per trillion. Previous studies have confirmed the ability of trained dogs to detect skin-cancer melanomas by sniffing skin lesions. Also, some researchers hope to prove dogs can detect prostate cancer by smelling patients' urine.

"Canine scent detection of cancer was something that was anecdotally discussed for decades, but we felt it was appropriate to design a rigorous study that seriously investigated this topic to better evaluate its effectiveness," said Nicholas Broffman, executive director of the Pine Street Foundation.

Lung- and breast-cancer patients are known to exhale patterns of biochemical markers in their breath. "Cancer cells emit different metabolic waste products than normal cells," Broffman said. "The differences between these metabolic products are so great that they can be detected by a dog's keen sense of smell, even in the early stages of disease."

The researchers used a food reward-based method to train five ordinary household dogs.

-------------------

Cool
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is so amazing. Thanks for posting it Face. I've not heard this on the news!
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is so true about the dogs.... I truly believe this since my dog is always bothering my mother-in-law's legs and she's constantly having stuff burned off them (pre-cancerous lesions).

BTW Sky--- great article. I can't imagine how you heard of it wink
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eefanincan wrote:

cuteshy
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skylace wrote:
eefanincan wrote:

cuteshy

Laughing Didn't think I'd pick up on that, did ya? Smile
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eefanincan wrote:
Skylace wrote:
eefanincan wrote:

cuteshy

Laughing Didn't think I'd pick up on that, did ya? Smile

Laughing Not surprised. You're a sharp one. But *he* didn't write that one. Razz
luke

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this surprised me ... although i'm quite pleased Smile

Quote:
Marijuana prevents cancer (Federal Research)

The United States Government has done research on Marijuana in the past and has thrown out many research topics because they prove the benefits of Marijuana. There have been Studies funded by the US Government that have encouraged the citizens to question the current laws.

Growing up in the 80's during the Reagan years hearing Nancy talking about saying no to drugs made me very scared to try Marijuana. I also thought that all Marijuana users were worthless and lazy and would become a burden to society. After going to the Netherlands and trying Marijuana because of chronic pain I realized, "this is not that bad." When I came back to the United States of America I decided it was time I did a little research on my own about Marijuana.

I soon Found out that US Veterans Affairs Scientists did research to find out if excessive use of Marijuana as a teen would damage your life. They did this by surveying twins were one was a heavy user of Marijuana and the other did not use Marijuana more than 5 times.

They Found, "Marijuana use had no significant impact on physical or mental health care utilization, health-related quality of life, or current socio-demographic characteristics." (Eisen SE et al. Does Marijuana Use Have Residual Adverse Effects on Self-Reported Health Measures, Socio-Demographics or Quality of Life? A Monozygotic Co-Twin Control Study in Men. Addiction. Vol. 97 No. 9. p.1083-1086. Sept. 1997)

The Government provided funding to Federal researchers to study the effect of THC on Cancer induced rats. These rats were treated for Leukemia and lung cancer with canaboids and THC found in Marijuana that increased their life span and decreased the size of the tumors. (Journal of the National Cancer Institute. Sept. 1975. p. 597-602) In 1994 federal researchers studied rats again by giving them massive doses of THC to look for cancer and other toxicity in the rats. Reasearch showed that the more THC the rat received the fewer tumors grew. (NTP Technical Report On The Toxicology And Carcinogenesis Studies Of 1-Trans- Delta-9-Tetrahydrocannabinol, CAS No. 1972-08-3, In F344/N Rats And B6C3F(1) Mice, Gavage Studies)

Again in 1997 research funded by the federal government came close to proving Marijuana can prevent cancer. This research followed 65,000 patients for close to 10 years to study the effects of Cigarette smoking, Marijuana Smoking and Non-Smokers on Lung Cancer. This showed that Marijuana smokers did not have an increase in chances to get lung cancer and also showed that they were at a lower percentage to get lung cancer than non-smokers. (Sidney, S. et al. Marijuana Use and Cancer Incidence (California, United States). Cancer Causes and Control. Vol. 8. Sept. 1997, p. 722-728.)

Over a year ago the federal government gave Donald Tashkin funds to research Marijuana use and Lung Cancer. This found again that those Heavy Marijuana users had a decrease risk for Lung Cancer. (Tashkin D. Marijuana Use and Lung Cancer: Results of a Case-Control Study. American Thoracic Society International Conference. May 23, 2006.)

Over the years the federal government has tried to teach that Marijuana was the most dangerous drugs available with lies and deceptions. The federal Government has been giving grants to research the dangers and hazards of Marijuana but have ended up proving that Marijuana is not only a great medication but that it is helpful to prevent cancers.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marijuana smokers are at less risk of lung cancer than non-smokers?! Brilliant - I should live till I'm a hundred then!
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

faceless wrote:
Marijuana smokers are at less risk of lung cancer than non-smokers?! Brilliant - I should live till I'm a hundred then!

Laughing

I keep telling my husband I need medical marijuana for my migraines Smile (he says to stick with my Percocet!)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Health and Fitness All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: