The Secret History of the IRA

View previous topic :: View next topic  
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 7:52 pm    Post subject: The Secret History of the IRA Reply with quote

In the post-war era, a wave of decolonisation swept across the decaying British Empire. British forces became embroiled in a number guerrilla wars. In Palestine, Kenya, Cyprus and Malaya, indigenous forces waged war on their imperial oppressors. However, Britain’s long running struggle with the Irish Republican Army has proved to be the most enduring, and arguably most damaging, conflict of all.

This documentary examines the actions and attitudes of the IRA between 1945 and 1969. Combining a strong narrative and exclusive interviews with eye-witnesses and those who participated at first hand, it offers a fascinating account of subterfuge and counter-intelligence which marked the IRA’s campaign. We also look at gun-running and lightning raids, the bloody events of a six-year border campaign, and the power struggle between the hawks and doves of Republicanism which ultimately led to the formation of the Provisional IRA.

Through a series of exclusive interviews with surviving gunrunners of the Northern Action Committee filmed in New York, we outline the fundraising and gun running operations of Clan na Gael and the Northern Action Committee in the United States of America. Through the words of former IRA activists and archive footage drawn from un-broadcast private collections, the documentary charts the evolution of Irish Republicanism before the Northern ‘Troubles’.

This unique insight into an otherwise hidden chapter of British and Irish history is driven by the words of veterans who survived to tell the tale. It captures a rare chapter of oral history, bridging an important gap in Ireland’s historical record: the missing link between pre-war and post-war Republicanism - the doctrine which gave rise to the Provisional IRA.

--------------

This is about to start in 10 minutes, so I'll be capping it and uploading later... sounds very interesting, though why they have a picture of British soldiers to advertise it seems strange.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here we go - I had no idea about the resurgance in IRA activity in the mid 50s. Well worth watching if you've any interest in the situation there...

http://www.sendspace.com/file/6p4411
Kezza
Gone To The Dogs!

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for this faceless -- sounds very interesting.
major.tom
Macho Business Donkey Wrestler

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll say. It's a conflict I didn't learn much about.

Cheers!
SpursFan1902
Pitch Queen

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took a Conflict in the World class last semester and we had to do a 15 min presentation on a conflict of our choice. I did this one. I learned alot. I had no idea how many parties were involved and on how many layers there were to this conflict. It gave movies like "Michael Collins" and "In the Name of the Father" more impact and depth once I understood more. I had watched them before, but went back after my speech and watched them again (along with some documentaries I found). I also had an easier time keeping all of the "players", so to speak, straight.
major.tom

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By some coincidence, SpursFan, those are exactly the 2 movies that came to mind as well.
GingerTruck

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks faceless a very interesting subject
SpursFan1902
Pitch Queen

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

major.tom wrote:
By some coincidence, SpursFan, those are exactly the 2 movies that came to mind as well.

Great minds think alike, eh?

Well, other than "Devil's Own", I can't really think of any other IRA movies off of the top of my head. I am sure that there are others, but I can't really think of any.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazon link

This was pretty good - I was staying in Dublin for a month at the time when I saw this. I went to see it in a cinema on O'Connell street and there was a scene in the film where the characters are on the same street at about the same place, which was a strange thing...
luke

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the upload faceless, i don't really know much about the ira, or about the history of the conflict really
alan1254
King of the Marshes

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just watched the show , pretty interesting 2 things I noted one the madness or perhaps bravery of the IRA to try to take on what must have been at the time the most experienced and well trained army in the world in a head on more or less traditional 'war' involving groups of 25 men at a time , and the second point is the astounding arogance of the British in charging people from another country with treason, we certainly were a pompus people back then.
SpursFan1902
Pitch Queen

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hidden Agenda - I will have to check Netflix for this one. It looks interesting.
major.tom

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a bad documentary. Thanks, faceless.

Alan, your point about the charges of treason is an interesting one. I believe that there are still laws of treason on the books here in Canada. So technically, by being born here, my allegiance to a Queen is implied despite my never having sworn it. Somewhat Orwellian, isn't it?

Forget God Save the Queen. God save us all. Very Happy
alan1254
King of the Marshes

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

major.tom wrote:
Not a bad documentary. Thanks, faceless.

Alan, your point about the charges of treason is an interesting one. I believe that there are still laws of treason on the books here in Canada. So technically, by being born here, my allegiance to a Queen is implied despite my never having sworn it. Somewhat Orwellian, isn't it?

Forget God Save the Queen. God save us all. Very Happy

Well you people in the Colonies should just be greatful and do as your told
major.tom

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Well you people in the Colonies should just be greatful and do as your told

Yes, sorry sir. I forgot my place. "Hail Caesar, sir." Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> General TV All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: