Poll: Bean is Britain's top comic character

View previous topic :: View next topic  
carmelina

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:17 am    Post subject: Poll: Bean is Britain's top comic character Reply with quote

Poll: Bean is Britain's top comic character

Tuesday, April 10 2007, 21:09 BST

By Dave West

Mr Bean has been named Britain's favourite comic character in an online poll.

Bean, played by Rowan Atkinson in the series of the same name, topped a poll of 2,000 users of the Windows Live Space website.

Atkinson took 15 per cent of the vote and his Blackadder character was also in the list at fifth. Sacha Baron Cohen and Matt Lucas also made the top 10 twice.

Voters were also asked for their favorite television comedy moment. Coming out on top was the Only Fools and Horses scene when Del Boy goes to lean on a bar and misses, followed by Monty Python’s dead parrot sketch then David Brent’s dance in The Office.

The top 10 favourite characters:

1. Mr Bean
2. Del Boy
3. Borat
4. Basil Fawlty
5. Blackadder
6. Ali G
7. Vicky Pollard
8. Lou And Andy
9. Father Dougal
10. Alan Partridge

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the George show this morning I've heard that one marine broke into tears when the Iranians called him Mr Bean Laughing
Lostinthestates

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I think Blackadder is so much better than Mr Bean. But that could be because Mr Bean was shown until its death (the film was a nightmare!!!).
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to see Alan Partridge still getting a mention, there's not been anything from him for a good 4 years. I'd put him in my top 3 characters with Blackadder and Father Ted.
alan1254
King of the Marshes

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just seen Bean's holiday , pretty poor no where near his best work but he has said ne's not doing any more Bean sometimes its best to leave things at the top rather than have one last stab that only disapoints fans
6ULDV8

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alan1254 wrote:
just seen Bean's holiday , pretty poor no where near his best work but he has said ne's not doing any more Bean sometimes its best to leave things at the top rather than have one last stab that only disapoints fans

I pretty much echo alan1254's view.

The new movie has it's moments for sure.. but it is far from "fresh or New"... same things rehashed & the 'prdictability' aspect we knew from Bean in the past is nowhere as subtle if anything the 'gags' are telegraphed way ahead of time.
I watched the movie with my kids over the weekend here at the house, have to say that even the 5 year old who enjoys Barney (still) found the new movie to be a tad slow....

I'm glad that been will not be carried on based on the 'movies' where they are under pressure to show us something new & can't deliver, I can see how poor the TV shows would become.

Bean was great when it started, well written, well executed sketches... it was new & yet so old skool at the same time.
There was the 'predictability' aspects, we saw things coming but the trip from point A to point B (the delivery) had some nice suprises, it almost kicked you in the arse along the way & then kissed you after...
By this I mean that you saw the setup, knew the outcome but that great bit inbetween just took you on a great comedic journey of unknowns & still managed to end as you predicted (That's the kiss after being kicked about a bit).
That was the beauty of bean...

The later stuff & more so the movies... you saw it coming, they set it all up in the old fashioned way but took shortcuts to the outcome, rather than being enjoyable it became a "Get this out the way" feeling as you watched in the hopes of a glimmer of what made Bean great.

He's still a power house of a writer / co-writer & comedic actor.
But as far as bean goes, it's a "Has-Bean" (ohhh a play on words & names).

That's just a bit of my own humble opinion...
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a fine opinion it was too - I still find the decorating episode one of the funniest things I've ever seen.
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

faceless wrote:
a fine opinion it was too - I still find the decorating episode one of the funniest things I've ever seen.

Ah yes! It was a good one. My favourite is still the one where he makes a sandwich in the park.
major.tom
Macho Business Donkey Wrestler

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suffer from not having seen most of the characters in the list. Of the ones I do know, I would vote for Blackadder.

Or the ex-lepper from Life of Brian. Or Sir Bedevere (sp?) from the Holy Grail.

Mr. Bean had a few good moments, but I enjoyed Rowan Atkinson's stand-up bit much more. The one with Fatal Beatings / The Devil / The Good Loser / Pink Tights and Plenty of Props.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't know Father Dougal?

Pity you! You have to try and get "Father Ted" if possible. It's easily the best Irish sitcom ever and while there isn't much competion, but it stands against 95% of comedy from anywhere.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Comedy News All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: