House is an island

View previous topic :: View next topic  
IRiSHMaFIA
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 4:58 am    Post subject: House is an island Reply with quote

Developers have turned a house into an island in China after the owner refused to move out.

The villa now stands alone in a 30ft deep man-made pit in Chongqing city.

The Chongqing Zhengsheng Real Estate Company wants to turn the area into a £40m 'Broadway' square, including apartments and a shopping mall.

But the owner of the villa says he won't move out unless the company pays his price - the equivalent of £1.3 million.

"The villa owner refuses to move, so the real-estate developer has had to dig out all around it to force him to," says a saleswoman at Weilian Real Estate Sales Company.

"He wants 20 million yuan, or he'll stay till the end of the world."

Must suck when he runs out of loo paper and has to crawl down that hill to go to the shops.
maycm
'cheeky banana'

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surely there are rules of access that he is allowed - aren't the developers breaking some sort of law by denying someone access to his own, legitamately owned property? I don't see how they were permitted to do this. If it were a compulsory purchase they would just go in there, drag him out and demolish the little shack.In any event I wonder how he gets his mail? They can't really send him an eviction notice now can they.

I reckon he should just sit in a hotel or stay with friends till they pay him a decent price.
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maycm wrote:
Surely there are rules of access that he is allowed - aren't the developers breaking some sort of law by denying someone access to his own, legitamately owned property? I don't see how they were permitted to do this. If it were a compulsory purchase they would just go in there, drag him out and demolish the little shack.In any event I wonder how he gets his mail? They can't really send him an eviction notice now can they.

I asked one of my friends from China about this and he simply told me "Remember, this is China". While China isn't as bad as some people think it is but they still do many terrible things to people.
IRiSHMaFIA
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually think maycm has a good idea here. He should stay with pals or whatever until they give him a decent payout.

If he had a bit of money he could perhaps rent a room or wee flat and just keep things as they are. I'm sure the developers would break before he did.
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IRiSHMaFIA wrote:
I actually think maycm has a good idea here. He should stay with pals or whatever until they give him a decent payout.

If he had a bit of money he could perhaps rent a room or wee flat and just keep things as they are. I'm sure the developers would break before he did.

I say if it could work to go for it!
girldorksrule
Arrrrrrr...scurvy!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IRiSHMaFIA wrote:

I agree. If they want it that bad they'll A) pay or B) destroy it anyway. Better he not be there should they choose B.
6ULDV8

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The road you see in the background with the truck on it... it winds up to the back of the house...
maycm
'cheeky banana'

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They tore it down. Pity - it could have been an interesting tourist attraction.

IRiSHMaFIA
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the update maycm Smile You're right it could have been a tourist attraction, and I think they still should have held out.

I'm betting they were forced and it was going to be knocked down anyway.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> News mash All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: