Jam and Jerusalem upsets old biddies

View previous topic :: View next topic  
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:34 pm    Post subject: Jam and Jerusalem upsets old biddies Reply with quote

Jam makes us sick

Angry Women's Institute members have called on the BBC to scrap the new Jennifer Saunders sitcom Jam And Jerusalem because it ridicules them. Ros Knight, secretary of the Avon Federation of Women's Institutes, said: ?It is very poor taste. I'd like to see it taken off the air. I've never seen anything like it. It plays to the worst side of people's nature and I don't like it at all. I can't imagine they will make another series. It's supposed to be a comedy but it's not funny.? Avon WI member Mary Taylor added: ?The WI is being ridiculed by a bunch of ignorant, vulgar women.?

Ms Knight also told the Bristol Evening Post it could stop new members signing up. ?It doesn't do us any favours at all,? she said. ?People who don't know anything about us will think that is what it is like ? and it isn't.?

The six-part BBC One series, starring Dawn French and Joanna Lumley, features the fictional Clatterfield Ladies' Guild ? but Ms Knight says it is clearly a pop at the WI. But BBC bosses are likely to be more persuaded by the ratings. The debut episode attracted an impressive 6.7 million viewers.

And not every WI member is offended. Jam And Jerusalem producers used women who belonged to the group in the Devon village of North Tawton as extras. At the time of filming, Marion North, who has been a member of that group for 25 years, told the BBC: ?If we can't laugh at ourselves, then it's a great shame. They are having an affectionate giggle at us.?

It is not the first time a BBC comedy has offended the WI. The Little Britain sketches featuring David Walliams as a blue-rinse woman prone to projectile vomiting had to remove references to the organisation following complaints.

www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/jamandjerusalem/

---------------

Knowing they're offended is enough to make me try out an episode!
6ULDV8

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BBC America has started to advertise this show as "coming soon" Smile

As of yet, no date & they are calling it "Clatterford".
6ULDV8

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ohhh...

It starts on BBC America this Friday at 9PM

That was quick, they usualy show trailers for months before giving us a show, like Robin Hood... saw trailers for it starting in October & just got it last week.

I wonder how edited our version of Jam will be?
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you watch the series? I watched the first and then got this overwhelming urge to break things, so I avoided the rest...
6ULDV8

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not seen any of it yet m8...

As I say, it starts here on Friday of this week.
It didn't appear to be anything I'd want to use my bandwidth on (or ratios) elsewhere.

I wasn't too happy with the show that Dawn French did with Tate & this looked like a rip off of that to some degree.
Well what I had read about it anyways.

I will give it two or three episodes over the coming weeks, have set my DVR to record it so I can do / watch better stuff & then watch the show on Saturday mornings with a nice cup of coffee. (As I did when Hardware was on BBC America)

I feel that after ad-fab (& to a point during) French & Saunders lost their aim & started to pander to the 'commercial' side of TV comedy rather than producing / writing decent comedy shows as they used to.

My fav' stuff came from them during the old days of the comic strip presents.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Comedy News All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: