Celebrity X-Factor scrapped

View previous topic :: View next topic  
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 10:09 pm    Post subject: Celebrity X-Factor scrapped Reply with quote

Celeb X Factor scrapped
By SARA NATHAN
TV Editor

SIMON COWELL has axed Celebrity X Factor ? because it was ?pointless?. The telly talent judge shook his head as he revealed to TV Biz: ?We are never going to do it again. The show was pointless. The ratings were good but what we?re supposed to be looking for is a new artist.?

Speaking at Sony BMG?s HQ in London, he added: ?The only validity for me doing these shows is that I?m doing my day job on a TV ? which is trying to find artists for the label. So when I?m judging celebs, I?m not actually doing my job. I?m just being on a TV show.?

Sharon Osbourne, his co-star on the ITV1 hit, made headlines by sparking a war of words with Rebecca Loos. And Simon had to tell feisty Mrs Osbourne to curb her tongue. He said: ?I didn?t have a go but I pointed out that I was looking out for these people as a mentor. They were my responsibility. We knew who was coming on the show and if there?s anything to be said, say it backstage.?

Simon also confessed he only signed up for the new series of X Factor after ITV entertainment bosses agreed to stump up ?1million for a revamp. He admitted: ?I wouldn?t have worked on it unless it was going to go up a substantial gear ? and that?s what?s going to happen. The show has got to be bigger now. We?ve got to make the scale of it bigger, more exciting.?

Most of the ?1million has gone on a futuristic-looking chrome set with metal poles arching across the studio ? and a bigger stage. The acid-tongued judge revealed: ?There are going to be some big changes on the live shows. The whole show will be re-branded, with new graphics.?

Insiders also reveal there are plans for celebrity guest judges and themed live shows. The new series comes after ITV suffered its worst July ratings EVER. X Factor kicked off with nine million viewers last Saturday, beating BBC1 talent show How Do You Solve A Problem Like Maria? which got 4.8million. Simon said: ?This is the type of show ITV do best. They want it to be better than last year.?

There were 125,000 applications from wannabes ? up from 70,000 last year. In the first episode alone, we were treated to poor 16-year-old ?shaky? Sean from Manchester and 54-year-old Donna giving her excruciating impression of the Queen of Pop, insisting ?I want to be as big as Madonna.? (Big, she definitely was). Then there was 21-year-old trainee hairdresser Jay who thought she was the new Mariah Carey. Mariah Scarey, more like. And let?s not forget 86-year-old gran Edna, who went where angels fear to tread ? and finally got Simon to apologise for his poisonous remarks to her daughter-in-law. And we still have the delights of the woman who makes monkey noises to 80s hit The Lion Sleeps Tonight to come.

Simon sighed: ?It was like a wave of loonies this year ? they just never stopped coming . . . I must have said on at least ten occasions, ?This has got to be a joke? ? but it wasn?t. You put them out of your mind and you see them back on TV and think, ?Christ, I remember them now?. It was absolutely non-stop. I think I may have post-traumatic stress disorder.?

Last year?s finalists Shayne Ward, Andy Abrahams, Journey South and Chico have sold FOUR MILLION records between them. Simon said of winner Shayne: ?I?m going to put another ?2million in the pot to break him as an international superstar. I want to do the same thing with this year?s winner. It?s all about giving someone a break.?

Viewers love the friction between Simon and fellow judges Sharon and Louis Walsh. Louis infamously walked off during the last series after Simon called him an idiot ? and Sharon chucked a glass of water over him. Simon sniggered: ?Louis and Sharon are incredibly competitive. Sharon will do anything to win. I?m never competitive until the later stages.? And he vowed: ?I won?t have any water-throwing this year. I?ve told them absolutely not. It?s a little bit like primary school.?

Next week, Simon flies to the US for American Idol 6. And he is hoping for success at the prestigious US Emmy awards on Sunday night in Los Angeles where the show has EIGHT nominations.

--------------

I couldn't be bothered watching this show, so I reckon my apathy paid off!
HandoGod

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think people/Simon can knock Nikki Sanderson though, as she's loads better than these rubbish singers on the X-Factor proper.

thumbs
Griffo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not too fussed about there being no celeb X Factor and i agree with Simon in saying that it is pointless...because it is!

But i do love the normal X Factor thumbs
lilycup

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not fussed about this either. I can live without Celeb X Factor, but not the normal one ;-)
mmc768

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to admit I actually got into Celeb X-Factor. I didn't think I would. Then again I have a thing for Chris Moyles. kiss lol I also got a sick kick out of watching Sharon tell off Rebecca Loos. I'm not too upset about them not bringing it back though. As long as they don't get rid of the real X-Factor I'll be happy.
IRiSHMaFIA
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't be arsed watching Celeb Xfactor. I'd rather see the regular XFactor anyday where it's just everyday nutters auditioning.

I've had the biggest laughs watching so far to the point I've replayed certain parts over and over. It's only into 2 eps and so far it's one of the best lot of maniacs I've seen yet.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> General TV All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: