Christollen

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brown Sauce

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:41 pm    Post subject: Christollen Reply with quote

It's the German equivalent to Christmas cake. Very nice, and this is a good recipe ..

Mine looks better, this hasn’t risen so well, but you can see the shape. When I find our camera I’ll take a picture of one of mine ....

Christstollen

Ingredients

200g (7 oz or 1-1/2 cups) raisins
100g (3.5 oz or 3/4 cup) currants
4 tbsp rum or orange juice
650g (23oz or 4-1/3 cups) all purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 fresh block yeast (42g or 1-1/2 oz), or 1 packet active dried yeast
175ml (3/4 cup) warm milk, divided
250g (9oz or 1 cup) butter, divided
75g (2-1/2 oz or 1/4 cup) sugar
Peel of one lemon
50g (1-3/4 oz or 1/4 cup) candied orange peel
50g (1-3/4 oz or 1/4 cup) candied lemon peel
50g (1-3/4 oz or 1/4 cup) slivered almonds, well rounded
2 eggs
2 egg yolks
100g (3-1/2oz or 3/4 cup) powdered sugar

Method

Soak the raisins and currants in rum or orange juice for 3 hours, or overnight.

Stir the yeast in 75ml (1/3 cup) warm milk until completely dissolved. Cover and let rest for 15 mins.

Sieve the flour and salt into a medium or large mixing bowl and make a well in the center.

Melt 175g (6 oz) butter in a medium bowl and add sugar, peel of one lemon, whole eggs and egg yolks. Add remaining milk.

Pour into center of flour along with yeast mixture and start stirring in flour by scraping the sides of the flour with a fork. When the dough becomes thick, then use your hands to incorporate the rest of the flour.

Sprinkle some flour on the counter top and transfer the dough onto the surface. Knead for 5-8 minutes until smooth and elastic. Transfer back to oiled bowl and let rise for two hours in a warm place.

Punch dough down and add flavoured raisins - currants, candied peel, and almonds. Work them into the dough. Knead on the working surface again, adding some flour if needed. Transfer back to bowl and let rise again for another two hours.

Preheat oven to 250 degrees C. I don’t use the fan, it tends to burn the crust.

Gently transfer the dough to the work surface, then gently flatten a bit. Take a long edge and fold it to the center.

Bake in a hot oven for 20 mins and then reduce the heat to 180 degrees C. Continue baking for 25 mins then cover the stollen with foil, and bake for a further 20 mins.

Melt the remaining butter, and brush over the hot stollen. Sprinkle with powdered sugar and let stand to cool.

This can be kept of two or three weeks, well wrapped to keep moist, the flavours will really come through. I make at least one every two weeks over the festive period. With resting and rising it will take 6 or 7 hours. but it’s worth it, and better than anything you will buy Smile
luke

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i only discovered the delights of the stollen last year, and i'm a big fan! over here you can get a marzipan stollen, and lidl are doing a apple stollen which is really nice!
Brown Sauce

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can stick a roll of marzipan lengthways in it no problem. Add a couple of drops of almond flavouring and it's a different taste altogether.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Aja's Kitchen All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: