Corrie: Tram crash to kill off major characters

View previous topic :: View next topic  
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:42 pm    Post subject: Corrie: Tram crash to kill off major characters Reply with quote

Tram crash to kill off major characters
By LUCY CONNOLLY
7th July 2010
thesun.co.uk

CORONATION Street is to kill off major characters in a horror tram crash. The viaduct seen in the opening credits of the soap will collapse sending a tram careering onto the cobbles. The massive December storyline will see the events of one single night played out over a week of episodes. New producer Phil Collinson warned that none of the cast will be told whether or not they will survive. Soap bosses said that alternative scripts will be used to keep details of the plotline 'under wraps'.

The massive stunt will see the bridge collapse sending the tram past The Kabin and Corner Shop. That leaves the axe hangin over favourites like shopkeeper Rita Sullivan, played by Barbara Knox. The crash will happen at night with The Rovers set to be turned into a shelter for victims.

Special effects experts from The Mill - an Oscar-winning visual effects company who worked on Gladiator and Doctor Who - have been brought in by producer Phil Collinson to ensure the crash is as sensational as possible. The production team have also been working closely with GMPTE who run the Metrolink trams in Manchester.

Former Dr Who producer Phil Collinson said: "As we celebrate the show reaching such an incredible milestone it feels fitting that we will be screening a dramatic event of this magnitude which will affect the lives of all the residents of Coronation Street. We'll be using all the wonders of modern television production to bring you a disaster that will rock the lives of everyone in Weatherfield. At the heart of the drama though will be ordinary people on an ordinary street battling adversity - the template for the programme created by Tony Warren 50 years ago." A spokesperson for GMTPE said: "We are very pleased to help Coronation Street and ITV with preparations for what will be a very dramatic storyline."

Producers say the drama will continue into 2011 as the residents come to terms with the tragedy and the dramatic twists and turns that follow. The image of the tram going across the viaduct at the Corner Shop end of the street has been an integral part of the opening titles of Coronation Street for the past 9 years.

Since Collinson took over at the Manchester-based drama earlier this year he has announced a number of cast departures. Those to be axed from the show include Julia Haworth and Steven Arnold (Claire and Ashley Peacock) and Vicky Binns (Molly Dobbs).

------------------

I remember saying a couple of years back that the one thing Eastenders hadn't done was a train crash off the bridge at the end of Albert Square... I've been robbed! angry
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpursFan1902
Pitch Queen

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Face....EE still hasn't done it...so, you haven't been robbed, just cheated on! Tee hee...
Twirley

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm liking Corrie at the moment. I still think they could do a lot more with Ashley & Claire. And I can't believe I'm saying this, but the Windasses are growing on me.

I think Graeme is great but I can't see someone like Tina going for him. I do like Carla and Trev together though. Somehow, they work. She's always been kind of down-to-earth and I think with all the crap she's been through it's nice for her to have a normal bloke.

I really think they could do some great stuff with Michelle, and with Keiran...not sure about those two together as a couple though.

And how did Norris become okay with Mary again? Did I miss something there?

I like Peter & Leanne together (and little Simon - that kid is a superb actor), and I also like Nick & Natasha together. They haven't made the most of her acting skills at all - she was fantastic in Holby City. I think Natasha & Maria should take over the salon when Audrey gets killed under the tram.

Deirdre should run off with Lewis, and Rita should hook up with Ken. Ha ha.

Fiz & John - mmmm...not sure about this one. I like them both (and Chesney, too) but I can't see where their characters are going - a shame!

Jason needs some girl to come in who will stretch his character and make him want more out of life - a posh bird, maybe.

Eileen needs to become a "madam", with Cheryl her first "girl". In a few years, when the bookies has a downturn due to government legislation outlawing gambling, Leanne can get back on the game. Lloyd will supplement the taxi business by running the "girls" to their dates and being their bodyguard.

Not sure about Janice - whatever happened to her becoming a nurse?

Also, Dev, Sunita & the kids. Where will the writers take them?

Steve & Becky will adopt a kid who will be at odds with "our Amy" for the next 10 years at least...making Amy become a clone of her Mum and prompting her to finally run off to Tracey when she gets released from prison.

Norris, Emily & Rita will continue to be their usual selves. Gail will get senile...and David will realise that that's what he's got to look forward to.

Phew! Did I miss anyone?? Oh, Kirk & Izzy! They are tough ones to consider...not sure!!
SpursFan1902
Pitch Queen

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice, Twirls...I think you covered everyone!....Hey wait, what about Liz and Hailey and Roy Cropper and the Websters?
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

excellent stuff Twirls!
Twirley

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

faceless wrote:
excellent stuff Twirls!

Ha ha ha - I think that was my longest post ever! I think I'd had a few. Razz

Roy & Hailey can keep being themselves - they are comedy gold!!

Oooh, and Liz - she can be co-madam with Eileen. Or maybe the older "girl". Shocked
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Soaps All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: