EE: Syed - the new Masood (Marc Elliot)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SpursFan1902
Pitch Queen

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do too, because I think you are right, Pirty, but I hope that it doesn't cost him his family. I just don't see how this can end well. With or without the truth, with or with out Christian, Syed is going to lose someone...
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree 100% Pirty. And it is so difficult. Someone will end up hurting and Amira will as well. She would definitely be a victim in all of this.
I also think it's family love that comes down to it. Of course some families can get past these issues and others can't. I personally think it would be Zainab that would have the biggest problem. She does have a big issue with "what everyone else will think". Masood would have issues I think but would be willing to work with it and I don't think Tam would be all that bothered.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ex-'EastEnders' star slams Asian portrayal
Jul 21, 2009

Former 'EastEnders' star Deepak Verma has slammed the show for its depiction of Asian life, claiming its current Asian family is unrealistic. According to The Sun, Deepak said the current Masood family were "two-dimensional and ill-conceived" with "stupid clothes and accents".

Deepak, who played the BBC One's soap's market trader Sanjay Kapoor in the 1990s, praised rival ITV1's 'Coronation Street' and Jimmi Harkishin's "brilliant" portrayal of Asian Dev Alahan. He said: "He's a dodgy womanising sleazebag. He's Indian but that's got nothing to do with it. He's just a brilliant actor." A BBC spokesperson said, "It's a shame Deepak feels that way, but the Masood family is hugely popular with EastEnders viewers."

--------------
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stupid clothes? Honestly, I've seen a lot of Asian people over here as well as in the UK dressing the way the family does. Which most of the time is pretty normal. And for stupid accents? Um, they don't really even have accents that are outside of England, which would make sense for the kids since they were born and raised there (except for Z and from her past work I believe that is her real voice.)
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what gets me is that he's Indian and the Masoods are Pakistani, so why he's talking about 'the Asian family' is beyond me. It's like equating French and Germans.
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's so very true. I hadn't even thought about that either. Sounds to me like he just wanted to complain.
pirtybirdy
'Native New Yorker'

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's just jealous he's not on Eastenders no more. I never liked his character anyway. He's a hater. I didn't start out liking the Masood's, but I like them now, with the exception of the little brother...I still don't like his character much, but he does come out with some humorous lines now and again.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pirtybirdy wrote:
He's just jealous he's not on Eastenders no more.

agree
SpursFan1902
Pitch Queen

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I guess we will have another new Masood...this sould be interesting!
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A quick chat with EastEnders' Marc Elliott
EastEnders star Marc Elliott reveals why he’s so proud to be part of the controversial Syed-Christian storyline...
Jul 6, 2010
whatsontv.co.uk

How does Syed really feel about being gay?
“He would prefer it if he wasn’t gay, but he realises he can’t turn off his feelings for Christian. A lightbulb goes on in his head as his mum Zainab is preparing to be the matchmaker from hell again and explains what the perfect requirements are for a wife. Syed realises that all those things apply to Christian. He kisses his mum on the head, pats his dad, says goodbye to Tamwar and leaves to be with Christian."

Do you think it will be a happy ever after then?
“No! They are very different gay men. Christian is out and proud, but Syed doesn’t want to be public about it. Also, this is a soap, so there has to be some drama to make it interesting. They can’t just be arguing about who emptied the bins or washed the sheets.”

What has been the reaction of people to the storyline?
“I’ve had lots of letters from teenage girls who for some reason, love to see two men getting it on. I got sent a scrapbook from one girl, which charts Syed and Christian’s relationship. It’s massive and must have taken her a lot of time to put together. I was really touched. There was a story in the papers about me getting homophobic comments in the street, but that was absolute rubbish. People have responded really positively. I’ve had lots of letters from gay men saying that they have been through similar experiences and are really pleased we’ve been tackling these issues on TV.”

How do you feel about the kissing scenes?
“I’m quite a touchy-feely person, so I don’t mind doing the physical stuff. I’m happy to snog John. I was happy to snog Preeya who played Amira (even though she wore 6in heels and I’m a bit of a dwarf) and if there was an incest storyline, I’d be more than happy to snog Nina Wadia!”

So life is a lot different to your days as a barman, then?
“I was a bloody brilliant barman! And I really enjoyed it. I get really annoyed when I go to a bar and somebody gets served before me even though I’ve been waiting for longer. When I was a barman, I always knew who was next! I can never complain though because people would think, 'It’s that bloke off EastEnders, who does he think he is?' I do miss the bar work.”

You might have to give it up now though?
“Before, I’d dip in and out between acting jobs, but if and when EastEnders comes to an end, I won’t be able to do that because you need to be anonymous. I still hang out with the same friends and go to the same places that I did before I joined EastEnders, but I can’t go anywhere really without people wanting to talk to me. They want photos and autographs and they often go on about how short I am in real-life – I’m 5ft 9in. My friends get more annoyed with it than I do. People are generally really friendly and I’ve learned to wear headphones or talk on the phone when I’m out and about. People tend to ignore you then.”

Do you have any future plans?
“At the moment, I have no plans to leave EastEnders. I’ll either be pushed or go when I think things are getting stale, but I think there’s a lot more to come from Syed.”

What was your first acting job?
“My first job was as Romeo in a tour of Romeo and Juliet that played outdoors. We had to carry all our own costumes, props and even the scenery. And you know what British summers are like. We did quite a few shows during thunderstorms. At one point, Juliet was convulsing with cold when Romeo was supposed to think she was dead. I thought 'Nobody is going to believe that!' EastEnders is definitely the biggest thing I’ve done. I don’t think I got the part of Syed due to my talent. I was in the right place at the right time and I feel grateful to have been given this opportunity.”
SpursFan1902
Pitch Queen

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

***********Spoiler unless you have seen November 15 Episode***************

Hidden: 

Oh thank god!!! Syed was starting to bore me to tears! How many times can one person be given a second, third or fourth chance?? He worked extremely hard to be unhappy. I really like Christian, but I am glad to see the backside of the them as a couple. Make room for some new characters....
SpursFan1902
Pitch Queen

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks whoever hid my comment. How do you do that btw?
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

put the spoiler inside tags like this:

[spoil] the text [/spoil]

I've disabled the tag for this post so it doesn't just show as another box...
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel the same, spurs.
SpursFan1902
Pitch Queen

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thumbs Thanks, Face. I wanted to do that but didn't know how.

I figured I wasn't the only one, eefan... bedtime This is where the story line put me!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Soaps All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: