Corrie: Becky Grainger
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 4:17 pm    Post subject: Corrie: Becky Grainger Reply with quote

'Boys like me because they think I’m easy’
Coronation Street’s Becky, aka Katherine Kelly, 29, on why men have taken a fancy to her, taking soapworld by storm, and baby plans
By Rhiannon Vivian
23/11/2008

The last time Celebs On Sunday met Katherine Kelly, her character Becky in Corrie was a bap-buttering, reformed wrong ’un with a relatively good heart. But in the last year the storylines have got juicier (a night of passion with Steve McDonald, a violent rampage, a spot of blackmail...) culminating in Becky becoming one of the show’s most central characters. And, of course, the 50th barmaid behind the Rovers’ pumps. Thanks to Becky, Katherine’s profile has become bigger than Rita’s fancy orange barnet, and a nomination for Best Newcomer at the National Television Awards (NTAs) cemented her status as one of soap’s most popular stars.

‘I’d only been back from the shoot I did with you guys in Los Angeles, in May last year, for a few months before things went crazy,’ recalls Katherine in her Yorkshire lilt. ‘Everything that’s happened to Becky since then has totally surpassed my expectations. I’d have been happy to stay in the cafe with Roy, but working in the Rovers... it’s brilliant. As for the NTA nomination, I couldn’t believe that. It’s so flattering. But I always think there are people in the cast who get overlooked because they aren’t newcomers. People like Simon Gregson (Steve McDonald) and David Neilson (Roy Cropper). We take for granted how good they are.’

So has her super success changed her? Not one bit. The Katherine we met in LA was delightful. And the Katherine we meet today (pin-thin, resplendent in glorious frocks and a dead ringer for Rita Hayworth – this gal can flirt with a lens) still remains one of the nicest people Celebs On Sunday has met.

‘I don’t feel any different personally,’ she says. ‘I am getting more job satisfaction though. One minute I’m in the cafe with Roy doing a slapstick scene, the next I’m getting involved in hard-core punching and smashing. Great! But I’m pretty low-key. I won’t go to the opening of an envelope. You’re more likely to find me in my local pub having a chat. The biggest change in my life has been moving to Manchester permanently last April. I’m from Yorkshire originally, all my family are there, so it was starting again in a new town. I couldn’t commute any more though, especially not now I’m in the Rovers – my hours have doubled.’

Katherine admits she does get recognised more, and is pleased the nation has taken Becky to their hearts, but seems genuinely surprised the good people of Manchester appear to want to buy her a cider or two, keen to knock back bevvies with Becky.

‘I love it, but I try not to think about it too much. All it takes is one storyline and the audience might turn against Becky. I just like the fact her fans range from little girls to old ladies to men. When other girls rate you, that’s a compliment.
‘People must find Becky approachable as I get little girls telling me, “You’re my idol!” I look at their mums and think, “Poor you!” A lot of people want a night out with her. I’ve never been offered so many drinks in my life! I think boys like her because they think she’s easy. I get a lot of messages passed on to me from guys. Ryan Thomas (who plays Jason) always tells me his builders want me to come over and make them a brew. I also get shouted food orders by men in the street, “Make us a bacon butty!”’

With all this male attention, you’d think Katherine’s other half, actor Ollie Williams, (the pair met at drama school and live together) might get a little worried about her burgeoning celeb status. If he was the worrying sort, that is...

‘Ollie is so proud of me. He’s so supportive I don’t think he’s worried about anything,’ she laughs. ‘When you’re with another actor it’s hard because you spend time apart, as the chances of you both getting a job in the same town are next to nothing. But, on the flip side, they understand your work. Ollie helps me loads with my scripts. If I’ve got so many I can’t see the wood for the trees, he’ll pick a scene and do it with me. He’s always been there for me. One birthday when we were living in London, we were skint, but Ollie found a little place where it was £10 for three courses. We had no money for the tube and had to walk, but it was lovely. It’s the little things.’

The pair haven’t any plans to get hitched though, and Katherine’s not interested in the big white wedding. ‘I always get asked that – it must be my age,’ she laughs. ‘I’ve only got one friend who is married and she’s older. None of my friends my age are. I think marriage is a lovely thing, but a fancy-pants wedding isn’t my style. I imagine myself coming back married from somewhere hot... but the actual do? Nah. I’m dead lucky, I get to wear beautiful dresses on shoots like this anyway.’

Katherine’s more interested in what a wedding for Becky might entail. We’re thinking lots of gold, a cider fountain and a cake made of fags... ‘It wouldn’t be typical would it?’ she laughs. ‘In terms of the dress, I think we’d have to find out which WAG had most recently got married and get her a mocked-up version. It’d be hysterical. I think if she married she’d be so out of her comfort zone. She’s barely had a relationship – it’d blow her mind.’

Her own wedding may not be on the cards, but one thing Katherine does admit to is being broody. With two cast members currently pregnant (must be something in the Weatherfield well) it’s hardly surprising. However, with her career moving into the fast lane, now wouldn’t be a good time.

‘Loads of people are pregnant on Corrie,’ she says. ‘Ali King (Carla) and Jane Danson (Leanne) are pregnant. I’ve been broody for the last 10 years. One day I hope to have kids. And if I couldn’t, I’d adopt. It’s what life is all about. I adore kids, but with us women there’s never a right time. But everyone’s paranoid about it. At the NTAs I said to one of the Corrie writers, “I need to tell you one thing...“ he said, “You’re not pregnant?” I admire the Corrie girls who have young families. I don’t know where they get their energy.’

Katherine herself had a pretty idyllic childhood (unlike her poor alter ego), but she didn’t consider acting as a profession until quite late on. ‘I didn’t do any National Youth Theatre or anything,’ she says. ‘It’s only when I made plans for uni that my dad suggested drama. Until then it was just a hobby. Now though, my parents are like, “There was never any chance of you doing anything else!” I was quite a dramatic child. I used to get changed into different outfits eight times a day, and substitute my short hair with three tea towels.’

So what’s next for Weatherfield’s firecracker? According to Katherine, the best is yet to come. ‘Well, she won’t be getting classy, I won’t allow it,’ she laughs. ‘Becky’s only aspirations are two weeks in Tenerife, enough money in her back pocket for fags and cider, and possibly finding love.’

Well the two weeks in the sun will have to wait, as Becks is due in court in a dramatic hour-long special. 'I loved filming the court case. Basically Becky thinks she’s going to get sent down for assault. Obviously Steve is her alibi so it might be the end of one thing but the start of something else... It’s typical Becky. Out of the frying pan and into the fire.’

Celebs wouldn’t have her any other way. Two questions remain, however. What classy ensemble will our Becks pick to wear in court? And will she be able to last that long without a crafty cig? We’ll have to wait and see...
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Possible big spoiler, or just a load of nonsense...

Hidden: 
misslisalynn

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Becky but Steve choosing her over Michelle is ridiculous. It's like choosing a tuna sandwich when you could have lobster.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the last photo of her in the black dress is quite something thumbs
Twirley

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Becky's great!!
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

she won the best actress award at the British Soap Awards on Saturday too. Good for her
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Corrie star forced to stay in character

'Coronation Street's Katherine Kelly was forced to wear her alter ego, Becky's trashy outfits after her suitcase failed to turn up as she filmed in Romania.

She said: "My suitcase didn't arrive for two days and I phoned the producer. He was panicking because he thought it was Becky's giant leopard-print suitcase. He didn't seem bothered when I explained it was my personal one. It turned up after two days, thank God, because I was sick of wearing Becky's outfits constantly. I had to wear her bikinis as my underwear."

Katherine was filming the Romanian Holiday DVD spin-off, which also stars David Nielson and Julie Hesmondhalgh (café owners Roy and Hayley Cropper).
pirtybirdy
'Native New Yorker'

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about you, but I'm pretty sure Romania sells underwear to it's citizenry. lol!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

haha yeah, it's not like she was in outer Mongolia!
pirtybirdy
'Native New Yorker'

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know what outer Mongolians wear for underwear, but I'm sure they had something of the like. lol! Even if they were weaved with leaves. lol!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sexy role is up Katherine Kelly's street
Simon Donohue
October 21, 2009

CORONATION Street's Katherine Kelly cheekily describes her raunchy part in the new spin-off DVD Romanian Holiday as a "bit of blue for the dads", but that doesn't mean she wouldn't consider going further still than the revealing clothes that she wore for the shoot.

The 28-year-old actress's character, Becky, appears alongside Roy and Hayley Cropper - David Neilson and Julie Hesmondhalgh - in the show, filmed entirely on location in the Transvylania region of Romania. And she says she had no problem vamping it up for the role.

"In my mind she's on holiday with her parents and the thing is, Becky just doesn't care what she looks like," says Kelly, who spends most of the film soaking up as much sunshine as she can in shorts and swimwear. It's absolutely boiling and Becky's on holiday. She barely wears much in the show as it is. I think it was unavoidable. She would be in a bikini like all the other 20-somethings wear. Would she go further than that? "I would never say never," she laughs. "But not in this show."

The story unfolds as Hayley and Roy babysit the luxurious Romanian villa belonging to the new footballer husband of the family, only to find that another couple have also arrived to do the same thing. The shoot took place over two weeks in the summer and unlike Kelly, Roy and Hayley had to wear their usual drab attire. But the actress behind Hayley Cropper tells me that she wasn't at all jealous of her co-star.

"Oh no," she adds. "I'm just glad. It's so much less stressful playing my part than to do what she did. Even though she's absolutely gorgeous, it's not an easy thing to do." Was she not worried that they might try and put Hayley in a bikini too? "I don't think the world's ready for that," she adds.

Romanian Holiday is available to buy on DVD from £19.99.

----------------

I'll try and get the DVD posted, though I can't promise it...
Twirley

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would be nice!!! :-)
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's the Romanian Holiday special available now in the soaps downloads thread - it's in a small screen Real player file though, which needs either Real Player or VLC to play. It's watchable all the same, but I'll keep my eye out for a better version.
SpursFan1902
Pitch Queen

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just watched it. It was fun!! They did a good job. I loved the Indiana Jones style shots contest scene and the tour of Vlad the Impaler's castle. It looks like Romania is firmly planted on the list of places yet to see..even with all of the "vampiric tat"!
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a decent quality version of the dvd tonight, so it's uploading now. I'll post the link tomorrow as it's a real keeper.

Watching Becky jump about in a bikini and hot-pants wasn't even the only bit that made me want to watch it again! It really is a good laugh and is very well made. It stands alone as a good British comedy movie - with the effect doubled by actually knowing the characters beforehand.

'Mon the Becky and the old boys in town!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Soaps All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: