EE: Josie Lawrence to join the square

View previous topic :: View next topic  
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:30 pm    Post subject: EE: Josie Lawrence to join the square Reply with quote

Phil's Best memory
By SARA NATHAN
TV Editor

COMIC star Josie Lawrence has signed up to EastEnders as Manda Best — the childhood sweetheart of Phil Mitchell, TV Biz can reveal. Josie — best known for starring in 1980s and 90s TV comedy improvisation show Whose Line Is It Anyway? — is to play the unlikely Romeo’s former love.

Her Walford-born character returns to Albert Square after her only son goes to university and her marriage collapses. She soon starts dating Minty (Cliff Parisi) but it quickly becomes clear Manda still carries a torch for Phil (Steve McFadden).

A show insider said: "She returns and keeps busy by teaching night classes in art and pottery and drinking in E20. It’s not long before she bumps into familiar faces, including Phil, who she dated at school, and Minty. But are they pleased to see her?"

Josie’s Manda will be the latest love interest for Phil, who had been dating scheming Suzy Branning (Maggie O’Neill). She’s already started filming and will appear on screen in March. Josie, 49, told TV Biz: "I’m so excited. Everyone at EastEnders has made me feel so at home. It’s mind-boggling to walk into Albert Square after having watched the show for so many years! I can’t wait to see how my character develops on screen."

EastEnders boss Diederick Santer added: "I’m so excited Josie’s joining us. I’ve enjoyed her brilliant comic performances for over 20 years, and can’t wait to see her in Walford."

Since Whose Line? ended in 1998 after a ten-year TV run, Josie has acted with the RSC and still does comedy improvisation with London troupe the Comedy Store Players. Her last TV appearance was on E4 hit Skins where she played Liz Jenkins, the estranged mother of Sid Jenkins (Mike Bailey).

---------------------

That's a bit of a turnup.
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always enjoyed her on Whose Line. Should be fun to see her on the Square.
Twirley

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Josie Lawrence is EXCELLENT! I'm kinda sad that Phil and Shirley don't get it together though...for Ben's sake if nothing else.
11antoniacourt

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twirley wrote:
Josie Lawrence is EXCELLENT! I'm kinda sad that Phil and Shirley don't get it together though...for Ben's sake if nothing else.
...and stay tuned as Minty gets his heart broken again.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is half-hour programme (part of a series from 2001) called 'Standups and Strumpets' in which Josie Lawrence speaks about her life as a performer.
SpursFan1902
Pitch Queen

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

She is a good addition. I like her, but I am sad that Minty will be hurt YET again. Is it so bad that he is happy? Everytime he gets a girlfriend, they break them up and he is always the one that gets hurt. Boring...let him have a relationship.
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpursFan1902 wrote:
She is a good addition. I like her, but I am sad that Minty will be hurt YET again. Is it so bad that he is happy? Everytime he gets a girlfriend, they break them up and he is always the one that gets hurt. Boring...let him have a relationship.

I agree Spurs. But I think this may be a set up to bring him and Heather closer together.
SpursFan1902
Pitch Queen

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be ok.... Do you remember when he was brought on the show? He was supposed to be this henchman kinda guy doing Phil's dirty work. Hard to imagine he is the same character.
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing I remember. He was Laura's landlord, all mean and blustery. Now he's just a big old pussy cat. How I love him. hug
SpursFan1902
Pitch Queen

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had forgotten about him being Laura's landlord! I love him too. He really is a sweet guy, which is why I hate to see him hurt all of the time. He deserves a girlfriend. If Gary can get someone like Dawn, then Minty shouldn't have a hard time at all!
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Josie Lawrence to leave EastEnders
16/11/2009

EastEnders star Josie Lawrence has announced that her character Manda Best will leave the soap in Spring 2010. The actress and comedian has seen Walford's resident Pottery teacher rekindle her teenage romance with Minty Peterson, introduce her son Adam to the Square and even managed to win over unlikely friends such as Shirley and Heather. Problems with Minty and a huge secret that Manda has been harbouring will lead to her leaving the Square.

Josie said: "It has been an amazing year at EastEnders and I have made some fantastic friends among both the cast and crew. I am somebody who likes to do a variety of different projects and now seems the right time to move on."

------------------
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will miss her but she hasn't added that much to the show. Shame for poor Minty though. So unlucky in love.
SpursFan1902
Pitch Queen

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree Sky. She hasn't added much lately, but I do like her character. I hope Minty doesn't go with her.
pirtybirdy
'Native New Yorker'

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't like her. I'm glad she's going. She was a bit boring for me. Who could Minty hook up with now? Will he give up on the ladies and become a monk? lol!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you, pirty. I didn't really care for her-- although I didn't detest her. Basically I just found her silly and irritatingly perky at times. Can't picture her breeding that evil spawn of hers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Soaps All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: