Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 11, 12, 13  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
seshme

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080903/ap_on_el_pr/cvn_palin_iraq_war

Palin: Iraq war 'a task that is from God'

By GENE JOHNSON, Associated Press Writer
Wed Sep 3, 7:23 PM ET

ANCHORAGE, Alaska - Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin told ministry students at her former church that the United States sent troops to fight in the Iraq war on a "task that is from God."

In an address last June, the Republican vice presidential candidate also urged ministry students to pray for a plan to build a $30 billion natural gas pipeline in the state, calling it "God's will."

Palin asked the students to pray for the troops in Iraq, and noted that her eldest son, Track, was expected to be deployed there.

"Our national leaders are sending them out on a task that is from God," she said. "That's what we have to make sure that we're praying for, that there is a plan and that plan is God's plan."

A video of the speech was posted at the Wasilla Assembly of God's Web site before finding its way on to other sites on the Internet.

Palin told graduating students of the church's School of Ministry, "What I need to do is strike a deal with you guys." As they preached the love of Jesus throughout Alaska, she said, she'd work to implement God's will from the governor's office, including creating jobs by building a pipeline to bring North Slope natural gas to North American markets.

"God's will has to be done in unifying people and companies to get that gas line built, so pray for that," she said.

"I can do my job there in developing our natural resources and doing things like getting the roads paved and making sure our troopers have their cop cars and their uniforms and their guns, and making sure our public schools are funded," she added. "But really all of that stuff doesn't do any good if the people of Alaska's heart isn't right with God."

Palin attended the evangelical church from the time she was a teenager until 2002, the church said in a statement posted on its Web site. She has continued to attend special conferences and meetings there. Religious conservatives have welcomed her selection as John McCain's running mate.

Rob Boston, a spokesman for Americans United for Separation of Church and State, lamented Palin's comments.

"I miss the days when pastors delivered sermons and politicians delivered political speeches," he said. "The United States is increasingly diverse religiously. The job of a president is to unify all those different people and bring them together around policy goals, not to act as a kind of national pastor and bring people to God."

The section of the church's Web site where videos of past sermons were posted was shut down Wednesday, and a message was posted saying that the site "was never intended to handle the traffic it has received in the last few days."
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's pretty shocking stuff, cheers sesh. She sounds no different from the extremist Islamic preachers basing everything that happens on 'the word of God'.

What kind of Christian names a child 'Track' though? Was he one of the lesser known disciples?
luke

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shes sounds a bit like bin laden, he thinks he's on a misson from god as well ...

this kinda of crap is part of the reason mccains picked her though, she appeals to the christian right, this kinda rubbish is going to play well with a large part of america

jon gaunt has fallen in love with her, he can't contain his admiration for her on his show - the next thatcher apparently! watch out america!
luke

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

faceless wrote:
She sounds no different from the extremist Islamic preachers basing everything that happens on 'the word of God'.

great minds ... Laughing
SpursFan1902
Pitch Queen

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luke wrote:
the next thatcher apparently! watch out america!

She's gotta get there first!!!
luke

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Osama’s letter to Sarah Palin

Dear Sarah,

Yes, I know, you did a double-take when you saw the name at the bottom of this letter. You thought it was from Brother Hussein, didn't you? No, it’s me, Osama writing to you from a dark cave in the Tora Boras. Sorry, just kidding. I'm actually at the Intercontinental in Dubai for a couple of days. This place is hot. And the shopping is great. Picked up a couple of Armani suits, the latest Nokia and a new after-shave from Hugo. I was gearing up to attend the Republican convention until Gustav dampened it all.

I want to tell you how pleased I am that you were selected as running mate by McCain. Who knows, if the old bugger croaks you could be president. Now that is something I am really looking forward to. Since the 9-11 thing George has really upset me. It's not that he falsely accused me of carrying out the attack or the $25 million bounty he put on my head. I can live with that. What really distressed me was his constant carping on about 'values'. He said that there are dangerous people out there who are envious of American values and this drives them to attack the US. He speaks of a clash of civilizations, meaning that those who have good wholesome values will be targeted by those who subscribe to barbaric beliefs. This is a thinly veiled reference to the so-called West and Islam.

The suggestion that the values that Muslims abide by are barbaric really hurt me. But now I am filled with great hope. While watching Blitzer's show on CNN I heard things about you that made me feel like you are a gal after me own heart, metaphorically speaking of course.

You support the death penalty. Me too. It's so sad that Islam has been constantly maligned for executing criminals found guilty of committing serious crimes. Often, it’s the manner in which the execution is carried out that gets people riled up. Chopping off the head may seem terribly gruesome but is far more humane than having a chap's head explode in the electric chamber. The lethal injection takes too long to kill. The other day I saw on Fox that a fellow on death row, Richard Cooey, who weighs 267 pounds saying that he should not be executed because he is too fat and therefore the lethal drugs will be slow in working. But I digress. Your stance on the death penalty will be applauded my Muslims everywhere. It's part of our values too.

Then I heard that you are against abortion. Me too. Since Roe vs. Wade in 1973 there has been widespread acceptance of abortion. Your firm and uncompromising position is so inspiring. Your stance on abortion will be applauded by Muslims everywhere. It's part of our values too.

You are against gay rights. Me too. It's really crazy how people have been bending over forward to accommodate homosexuals. Bugger them. Your stance on homosexuality will be applauded by Muslims everywhere. It's part of our values too.

What endears me to you is that you seem to be swimming against the tide of public opinion. Most politicians will sell their souls to get the vote. You will be under enormous pressure to change your views but I urge you, stick to your guns. Speaking of guns, and leaving common values aside for a moment, I was really turned on (metaphorically speaking, of course) by the news that you have a great love for firearms. Me too. I believe that your favourite weapon is the hunting rifle. For me, the Kalashnikov rocks. In better times ahead, you, your hubby and I could do a spot of hunting in the Alaskan outbacks. I've never tasted moose-burgers before.

Can you see how close your values are to Muslim values? I don't want to get you into trouble but I must tell you that I couldn't help wondering about all this talk by experts on Islamic terrorism that Al Qaeda is not a defined group of people but rather it is an ideology that many around the world have adopted. Have you perhaps been quietly reading our publications on our website?

People were shocked when your name was announced as McCain's VP. You seem to have popped out from nowhere. You are a big mystery.

Many don't know that Sarah is a Muslim name.

So, just in case,
I greet you with
Assalamualaykum.

Osama
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh that Osama, he's a card eh?

haha
Twirley

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one, Luke. Will have to let hubby read that!
Kezza
Gone To The Dogs!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only piece of sanity I get from this whole debacle is watching Jon Stewart on "The Daily Show." The coverage of the election from their viewpoint is the only way I can tolerate it!
luke

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Sarah Palin is 'the new Margaret Thatcher and Ronald Reagan'
American conservatives have reacted with near ecstasy to the Republican convention speech by Governor Sarah Palin of Alaska, comparing John McCain's running mate with Margaret Thatcher and Ronald Reagan.

"A star is born. She stuck the knife in with a big smile, a kind of 'Make my day' look," said Michael Barone, conservative columnist and editor of "The Almanac of American Politics".

"Forty-four years ago, an actor named Ronald Reagan gave a speech supporting Barry Goldwater and launching his own political career that was known ever after, by his ever increasing group of followers, simply as 'The Speech', wrote Richard Starr in the conservative Weekly Standard.

"If the McCain-Palin team pulls off an upset in two months, the performance we just saw by Governor Sarah Palin will be talked about in the same hushed and reverential tones."

In a column entitled "Welcome Back, Dad", Michael Reagan, adopted son of the late president, wrote: "I saw my Dad reborn; only this time he's a she. And what a she!"

After Mrs Palin, 44 and Alaska governor for just 20 months, accepted the vice-presidential nomination in St Paul with a tub-thumping speech, conservative commentator Larry Kudlow asked whether "we're not witnessing the Western frontier version of Margaret Thatcher".

He added: "She connected really well with middle-class working folks, both in cultural and social terms, which is no small feat: values matter and the Democrats are in trouble here - big-time. The more they go after Palin culturally, as they have already, the more trouble they'll fall into."

One blogger described her as "Margaret Thatcher with five kids and a Klondike drawl" while Jonah Goldberg of the conservative "National Review" enthused: "She was put on this earth to do two things: kill caribou and kick butt. She's all out of caribou."

Fred Thompson, the Hollywood actor and former Tennessee senator, had already told delegates: "She is the only nominee in the history of either party who knows how to properly field dress a moose ... with the possible exception of Teddy Roosevelt."

Mrs Palin electrified the Republican convention, declaring herself an "average hockey mom" and launching a blistering attack on Barack Obama, the Democratic nominee and his "clouds of rhetoric".

After three days of scorn from Democrats and relentless media scrutiny, Mrs Palin came out punching, mocking Mr Obama as someone who makes "dramatic speeches before devoted followers" and has "authored two memoirs but not a single major law or reform - not even in the state senate".

Throwing down the gauntlet to the press, she said: "I'm not a member of the permanent political establishment. And I've learned quickly, these past few days, that if you're not a member in good standing of the Washington elite, then some in the media consider a candidate unqualified for that reason alone.

"But here's a little news flash for all those reporters and commentators: I'm not going to Washington to seek their good opinion; I'm going to Washington to serve the people of this country."

Mrs Palin emphasised her humble origins and time as a mayor of the small town of Wasilla (population: 9,780) for six years, departing from her text to slip in a joke about the difference between a hockey mom and a pit bull. Answer: lipstick.

Afterwards, McCain advisers were jubilant. "She really showed them what she's made of," said one. "She was pure dynamite and she's really going to shake things up. She's changed the dynamic in this election."

Around the hall, Republican delegates who had been lukewarm about Mr McCain - never regarded as a strong conservative - were rapturous.

"If you didn't love her, you have a problem," said Phyllis Gorman, 59, of Edmond, Oklahoma. "She deals with ordinary problems in her family every day. She understands us so much more than a bunch of old politicians. She's funny, smart, tough and she's a real American."

Pam Pollard, 48, of Oklahoma City, said: "Only a momma could have given that speech. People talk about Hillary Clinton but Sarah Palin will be the first woman who really breaks that glass ceiling. You can feel the difference between Sarah and Hillary - Sarah is warm and genuine."

In the Republican convention audience in St Paul were her husband and five children, including her son Trig, four months, who has Down syndrome, and daughter Bristol, 17, who is five months pregnant and gripped the hand of her fiancé Levi Johnston, 18.

After the 37-minute speech attracting 37.2 million viewers |(just sy of Obama's 38 million), Mr McCain made a surprise appearance and asked to cheers: "Don't you think we made the right choice?" He added, looking at the seven Palins and Mr Johnston standing beside him: "What a beautiful family."
luke

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is interesting ... most of palin's speech was written before the mccain team had even picked her! by the former speech writer to bush!

The Man Behind Palin's Speech

As Democrats and Barack Obama's campaign scrambled to attack Sarah Palin's well-received acceptance speech at the Republican National Convention in St. Paul, Minn., on Wednesday night, they latched on early and hard to the fact that it was penned by former Bush speech writer Matthew Scully. But the story is more complicated than just the recycling of a Bush staffer into John McCain's fold, and it tells you more about how McCain's camp intends to use Palin than it does about the continuing influence of the current White House.

The clues are in the text itself. Scully started working on the vice-presidential speech a week ago, before he or anyone else knew who the nominee would be, and it's not hard to pick out the parts that would have been the same regardless of who delivered it. Scully unspooled two centrist themes via Palin that have been key to the McCain message: the idea that the Republican nominee puts service to country ahead of career and the notion that he's the true representative of Middle America. Both themes implicitly push Obama and Biden to the left, and Scully made them explicit with lines accusing the Democrats of élitism and talking down to working-class voters.

Once Palin was chosen, Scully tailored the speech to the Alaska governor, highlighting her biography and using her PTA background and local political experience (contrasted so memorably with Obama's work as a community organizer) to bolster his two themes. Where much media attention in the wake of her surprise naming has focused on Palin's views on cultural issues like abortion, the speech carefully steered away from ideological touchstones. Palin was shown as an average mainstream American looking to bring change to Washington, further bolstering McCain's overarching message of reforming the wasteful Federal Government.

Scully was a good choice to help moderate Palin's right-wing image. A veteran of the early Bush White House, his specialty was crafting Bush's pro-life message in a way that would not offend soccer moms or mainstream Catholics who get nervous around some of the more extreme Evangelical rhetoric. A former protégé of the late pro-life Democratic governor of Pennsylvania, Bob Casey, Scully has a history of finding rhetorical unity for voters on the right and in the center.

The Palin-Scully pairing is anything but a guaranteed fit, though. Palin is known as an avid hunter; Scully is best known for his vigorous defense of animal rights. A vegetarian who is regularly critical of the NRA and much of the hunting community, he is a passionate advocate for doing away with the more brutal versions of blood-sport, including aerial hunting, which Palin supports.

Don't be surprised, though, if the combination continues. McCain wanted to pick a centrist Vice President not just because he liked candidates such as Joe Lieberman and Tom Ridge, but because he badly needs to close the gap in swing states like Ohio, Iowa and Wisconsin, where he trails Obama. But he had to pick a cultural conservative like Palin because he couldn't risk alienating an already demoralized base. If Palin was viewed as the most likely right winger to sell in the swing states, Scully is the right pick to help repackage her from a base pleaser into a bridge buil

from http://www.time.com/time/politics/article/0,8599,1838808,00.html
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

McCain camp: National Enquirer report of Palin affair is 'a vicious lie'
BY ASSOCIATED PRESS
September 4, 2008

ST. PAUL, Minn - John McCain's campaign is denying a tabloid report that vice president candidate Sarah Palin had an extramarital affair. "It's a vicious lie," spokesman Steve Schmidt said. The campaign is considering legal action, the senior adviser added.

The National Enquirer wrote in its edition dated Sept. 15 that Palin had an affair with a business associate of her husband, Todd Palin. He discovered the infidelity and dissolved the business, the article said. It attributed the allegation only to "an enemy" of the Alaska governor.

-----------

I thought I'd have a look for the original story but the www.nationalenquirer.com site is down - how very strange...
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luke

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Neoconservatives plan Project Sarah Palin to shape future American foreign policy

Neoconservatives whose influence had been waning in Washington have hitched their colours to rising star Sarah Palin in a bid to shape US foreign policy for another decade.

Comments by the governor of Alaska in her first television interview, in which she said Nato may have to go to war with Russia and took a tough line on Iran's nuclear programme, were the result of two weeks of briefings by neoconservatives.

Sources in the McCain camp, the Republican Party and Washington think tanks say Mrs Palin was identified as a potential future leader of the neoconservative cause in June 2007. That was when the annual summer cruise organised by the right-of-centre Weekly Standard magazine docked in Juneau, the Alaskan state capital, and the pundits on board took tea with Governor Palin.

Her case as John McCain's running mate was later advanced vociferously by William Kristol, the magazine's editor, who is widely seen as one of the founding fathers of American neoconservative thought - including the robust approach to foreign policy which spurred American intervention in Iraq.

In 1988, Mr Kristol became a leading adviser of another inexperienced Republican vice presidential pick, Dan Quayle, tutoring him in foreign affairs. Last week he praised Mrs Palin as "a spectre of a young, attractive, unapologetic conservatism" that "is haunting the liberal elites".

Now many believe that the "neocons", whose standard bearer in government, Vice President Dick Cheney, lost out in Washington power struggles to the more moderate defence secretary Robert Gates and secretary of state Condoleezza Rice, last year are seeking to mould Mrs Palin to renew their influence.

A former Republican White House official, who now works at the American Enterprise Institute, a bastion of Washington neoconservatism, admitted: "She's bright and she's a blank page. She's going places and it's worth going there with her."

Asked if he sees her as a "project", the former official said: "Your word, not mine, but I wouldn't disagree with the sentiment."

Pat Buchanan, the former Republican presidential candidate and a foreign policy isolationist, who opposes the war in Iraq, the project most closely associated with the neocons, said: "Palin has become, overnight, the most priceless political asset the movement has.

"Look for the neocons to move with all deliberate speed to take her into their camp by pressing upon her advisers and staff, and steering her into the AEI-Weekly Standard-War Party orbit." The AEI, or American Enterprise Institute, is a free-market think-tank with many neo-cons among its members.

In the two weeks since she was named as Mr McCain's running mate that is just what has happened. While Mr McCain was publicly distancing himself from the policies and personalities of the Bush administration, Mrs Palin was sequestered with a series of former aides to George W. Bush.

Mr McCain's chief foreign policy adviser, Randy Scheunemann, an influential neoconservative, wasted no time in briefing Mrs Palin. He quickly made Steve Biegun, a former number three on the National Security Council, her chief foreign policy adviser.

Steven Clemons, of the New American Foundation think tank in Washington, a chronicler of the ebb and flow of neocon power in the White House, bemoaned the appointment, saying Mr Biegun "will turn her into an advocate of Cheneyism and Cheney's view of national-security issues."

Eyebrows were also raised when, on the Tuesday after her selection, Mrs Palin was ushered into the company of AIPAC, the pro-Israeli lobby group in Washington.

In her first television interview, she was on message, agreeing with Mr McCain that Israel has the right to take military action against Iran if necessary. "I don't think that we should second-guess the measures that Israel has to take to defend themselves and for their security," she said.

Jacob Heilbrunn, author of They Knew They Were Right: The Rise of the Neocons, said the interview was "further evidence that she has soaked up the neocon view of the world." He was particularly alarmed by her suggestion that war with Russia is "perhaps" a possibility.

"The neocons surrounded Dan Quayle, with William Kristol becoming his main tutor. Now both McCain and Palin are being closely advised by neocons. Far from being chastened by the Iraq debacle, the neocons are now poised for their moment of greatest influence." Mr Buchanan has predicted Mrs Palin will become a major player for years to come.

"In choosing Palin, McCain may also have changed the course of history," he said. "Should this ticket win, Palin will eclipse every other Republican as heir apparent to the presidency and will have her own power base, wholly independent of President McCain."

from the telegraph

unless obama does something spectacular pretty soon, or mccain and palin make a huge mistake, we're all doomed. the whole planet.
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was in the paper this morning that she may be facing indictment for her actions in Alaska in regards to her ex-brother-in-law. If she is, McCain will either have to do an amazing amount of damage control or he will have to pick a new running mate.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> News mash All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 2 of 13

Jump to: