McCain picks female running mate - Sarah Palin
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luke wrote:
i think that kinda mindset will fit right into some of the mccain supporters. i mean i've seen recently him recently going on about no sharing the wealth - ie, don't increase taxes on rich people and big corporations- and they're all cheering!?!? if a politician over here said that ( they might do it, but they wouldn't say it ) they'd be committing electoral suicide. but over there, they're all cheering!?

why should warren buffet pay less taxes than his cleaner? and why do they support that?!

Those people who are cheering are the ones at the rallies held by his supporters. Of course they are cheering. They don't let non-supporters in. There are plenty of people at the Obama rallies cheering for him and his saying "Spread the wealth around".
luke

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skylace wrote:
Those people who are cheering are the ones at the rallies held by his supporters. Of course they are cheering. They don't let non-supporters in. There are plenty of people at the Obama rallies cheering for him and his saying "Spread the wealth around".

yeah i get that. what i don't get is those mccain supporters - i mean they don't look like they're going to benefit from low taxes for the already wealthy and big companies. this is in the same week that the oecd released a report saying america 'has the third worst level of income inequality and poverty among the group's 30 member states. only mexico and turkey ranked higher in those categories'

the report goes on;

Quote:
With increased inequality and poverty levels recorded in three-quarters of OECD countries, the report's central conclusion is that "the economic growth of recent decades has benefitted the rich more than the poor."

On the US: The average income of the richest 10 percent is US$93,000 in purchasing power parities, the highest level in the OECD. However, the poorest 10% of the US citizens have an income of US$5,800 per year—about 20% lower than the average for OECD countries."

In the US, it was estimated that the top 10 percent hold 71 percent of the national wealth (compared to 28 percent of total income), while the top 1 percent control between 25 to 33 percent of total net worth.

The OECD report also documented the correlation between higher social spending and reduced poverty and inequality. In Scandinavian and western European countries, social spending on people of working age (such as family benefits) averaged 7 to 8 percent of national income in 2005 and the proportion of working-age people in poverty was 5 to 8 percent. In the US, Mexico, Turkey and South Korea, 2 percent or less of national income was spent on equivalent benefits, while 12-15 percent of the working age population lived in poverty.

so i can understand rich people liking mccain and his tax policies, but normal people?! Confused
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't get McCain supporters either luke. I didn't understand Bush supporters (or the 25% left who support him). But everyone is going to believe the way they want to believe. Not to mention that you are thinking that people do research like you do. Or even read the quotes you are putting above.

Most people just pay attention to the campaign ads that they see. It's easier that way.
luke

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skylace wrote:
Most people just pay attention to the campaign ads that they see. It's easier that way.

those fascinate me as well! theres a level of nastiness in american campaign adverts that we don't get over here
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luke wrote:
Skylace wrote:

those fascinate me as well! theres a level of nastiness in american campaign adverts that we don't get over here

The same can be said about the press over in the UK. Especially print. I was always shocked at how vicious the press was over there. Much more than over here. And I thought ours was bad, but compared to you guys, it's tame.

However, political campaigns in this country are historically nasty, even before the 20th and 21st century. Some of the stuff run in the 1800s was even worse than what we see now. I think that stems from the fact that the idea of being able to speak out against the government, even when you are in the government is a core American ideal that is built into our system from the start. If anything we've lost that moxy in the last few generations as a people and left it to the politicians.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there's still plenty of people protesting against the American government - the difference today is that they are attacked by police and vilified as unamerican in the media. The same thing happens to people here who dare to speak out on certain issues too of course.
ItzMeRon

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:29 pm    Post subject: Sarah Palin Unprepared To Explain What A Precondition Is Reply with quote

Does she not hear herself talk, I wonder?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

faceless wrote:
there's still plenty of people protesting against the American government - the difference today is that they are attacked by police and vilified as unamerican in the media. The same thing happens to people here who dare to speak out on certain issues too of course.

First, I didn't say people still don't protest and second I said the last few generations. People being vilified in the media as unAmerican for protesting is something that really started to pop up after 9/11. In the 60s the protests were actually cheered by a lot of the media and it was seen as another "Revolution". After 9/11 is when the rash of patriotism spread across the country and if you spoke a single word against anyone in government, especially Bush you were labeled unAmerican.
I am talking about something that has been going on for decades. The problem with the American view of government on a whole is we are apathetic. I know this, because I grew up here and much of the time I am that way. When my husband and I first met he never understood why I had absolutely no interest in government. In all honesty, most people in America don't. We are apathetic and I told him. He didn't believe me.
When I moved over to Britain I became much more interested. My husband still didn't get what I meant and he still didn't believe me (like most people don't) But it's true. That apathy over here is pervasive and my husband learned, contagious, when he came over. His interest in government has waned his past eight years here.
It can't be explained. Like the smell of cut grass you have to experience it to know what it is. And it is a shame. This is why the youth don't get out and vote, this is why adults don't go out and vote, this is why more people vote for American Idol then American President, they don't care. Pure and simple.
This is why this election is such a big deal over here, moreso then any other election in years. People are actually giving a damn. It's strange and new because for generations we have left it to the government to have the moxy. It has nothing to do with protests and everything to do with actually caring about the process.
ItzMeRon

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
luke

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:00 am    Post subject: Re: Sarah Palin Unprepared To Explain What A Precondition Is Reply with quote

Skylace wrote:
The same can be said about the press over in the UK. Especially print. I was always shocked at how vicious the press was over there. Much more than over here. And I thought ours was bad, but compared to you guys, it's tame.

yeah the press over here can be nasty. but its always over stupid stuff that people shouldn't really care about! like heather mills, mccartney's ex wife, she got it really bad - i felt sorry for her. i didn't really know all the details, because i never read any of it - because why do i care that two people i don't know are going through a messy divorce? but the media, they were really out for her.

ItzMeRon wrote:
Does she not hear herself talk, I wonder?

it really really annoys me the way they keep using terms like dictator in relation to leaders that aren't dictators, and the media always lets them get away with it - it just reinforces an incorrect view in the public mind. and both sides do it, in one of the debates both mccain and obama called ahmadinejad and chavez dictators! you might not like ahmadinejad, but he's not a dictator. even the chairman of the us national intelligence council said of elections in iran 'this will sound strange but the Iranians actively have a better-functioning democracy than Pakistan does. We may not like who they elect. It may be a distorted process by the way in which people are vetted before they can run, but it’s actually pretty free and fair elections once they get to that point, and they have some authority afterwards'

its just madness. i mean they used to call musharraf president - and he came to power via a military coup. ahmadinejad and chavez came to power through elections, and yet they're dictators?!

it seems to me that dictator in american politics just means someone, elected or not, who won't do what they're told.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skylace wrote:
I am talking about something that has been going on for decades. The problem with the American view of government on a whole is we are apathetic. I know this, because I grew up here and much of the time I am that way.

You know, when the site was started for the first time I wondered why politics wasn't ever picked up on by many people, but it soon struck me that it was for that very reason .

I didn't really have a problem with that per se, as it's ok to be apathetic about your leadership if your own country is self-sustaining and not a threat to others, and as soon as it stops being one I'll stop caring about who is control and be happy to see Americans being apathetic again!
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

faceless wrote:
Skylace wrote:
I am talking about something that has been going on for decades. The problem with the American view of government on a whole is we are apathetic. I know this, because I grew up here and much of the time I am that way.

You know, when the site was started for the first time I wondered why politics wasn't ever picked up on by many people, but it soon struck me that it was for that very reason .

I didn't really have a problem with that was that it's ok to be apathetic about your leadership if your own country is self-sustaining and not a threat to others, and as soon as it stops being one I'll stop caring about who is control and be happy to see Americans being apathetic again!

I would be fine with that as well. I am hoping the apathy dies off. But in all honesty I think the cure is long coming because what I think we need is a strong third party.

Regardless, I am glad you understand.
luke

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

where do you think this apathy comes from skylace ( and anyone else ) ? and do you think its apathy towards politics in general, or the current two factions of the business party system america currently operates under?
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be apathetic if I knew I could get cheap food and accomodation.

Or failing that, beer, bread and circuses.
luke

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah i guess, bread and circuses and prolefeed, as orwell calls it in 1984. maybe this economic crisis and rising prices will wake people up a bit ...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> News mash All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 10 of 13

Jump to: