McCain picks female running mate - Sarah Palin
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seshme wrote:
Do you get 6 months maternity leave when you are president?

Six months leave for a government employee Laughing You're lucky if you get six weeks!
luke

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'd be more concerned over palin dividing your country into 'pro-american' and 'anti-american' parts than how much is spent on clothes for her ... although on her clothes, that is a lot of money! i mean she was only announced as mccains vp at the end of august, so its not even been two months! that would be like $2500 a day over two months!
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luke wrote:
i'd be more concerned over palin dividing your country into 'pro-american' and 'anti-american' parts than how much is spent on clothes for her ... although on her clothes, that is a lot of money! i mean she was only announced as mccains vp at the end of august, so its not even been two months! that would be like $2500 a day over two months!
Of course I am more worried about that. Don't be silly. But to just poo-poo this is ignorant and exactly what the Republican party wants people to do. "It's just clothes". But it isn't. It's showing how the image they are trying to create is not only false but where their priorities are. Everyone always seems to forget that the devil is in the details and right now she's in Gucci as well.
luke

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isn't gucci what the average hockey mom wears over there? wink
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luke wrote:
isn't gucci what the average hockey mom wears over there? wink

I guess I can't be as glib about this. I understand the joke and it's fair enough but with it being just days away from probably one of the most important elections in a generation and the thought that she would be a heart beat away from the oval office during one of the worse economic crisis in our history (which affects the rest of the world as well) I can't laugh it.
luke

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry, the way i see it though, this issue ( of clothes ) compared to all the others is kinda nothing. that parties spend money on creating an image to present to voters doesn't surprise me, it would surprise me if they hadn't done that - i mean, mccains campaign manager himself said 'this election is not about issues ... this election is about a composite view of what people take away from these candidates' - he's laid out it out there, he's being honest - so that they're doing what they said, no surprise.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

150 grand is one hell of a lot of money - it proves that they're only interested in appearance over substance.
luke

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

faceless wrote:
it proves that they're only interested in appearance over substance.

thats kinda my point, they've said it themselves - thats exactly how it is! they realise that this is the only way they can win - because;

Quote:
A flood of recent polls show an overwhelming preference for Democratic positions across virtually the entire spectrum of issues, so the GOP has to make the race about something else. This year as in 2000 and 2004, the Republicans will try to turn the race into a presidential personality contest. And to win it, they need to manufacture a “character gap” between John McCain and Barack Obama.
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luke wrote:
sorry, the way i see it though, this issue ( of clothes ) compared to all the others is kinda nothing. that parties spend money on creating an image to present to voters doesn't surprise me, it would surprise me if they hadn't done that - i mean, mccains campaign manager himself said 'this election is not about issues ... this election is about a composite view of what people take away from these candidates' - he's laid out it out there, he's being honest - so that they're doing what they said, no surprise.

parties? Um, no. The Democrats didn't do this. Michelle Obama's clothes while they aren't cheap, are on average $150 off the rack and it comes out of Obama's pocket. You can also bring up Hillary, she paid for everything when it came to clothes, hair and make up out of her own pocket.

Let's also not forget that they spend $15,000 on her family as well. Her kids are decked out in this.

I think this speaks clearly to the American people where the Republican party is in during this financial crisis.

Like I said, the other issues are much more important but this shows how they view those issues. It speaks volumes. Thinking this is not that big of an issue is just playing into what they want you to think.

McCain didn't know how many houses he owned, Palin gets a $150,000 dollar make over and her family gets a $15,000 one. That says a lot about their views on issues to me.
luke

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skylace wrote:
parties? Um, no.

i didn't mean democrats in particular, i mean just parties in general, here and america, wherever. so much of politics now is about image, and the media are a large part of that - it shouldn't be, but thats the reality. the obama team might not be spending money on clothes, but they will also be concentrating on the overall image they present.

don't get me wrong, i'm no republican supporter - i'm just interested in the whole process and peoples views on it.
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luke wrote:
Skylace wrote:
parties? Um, no.

i didn't mean democrats in particular, i mean just parties in general, here and america, wherever. so much of politics now is about image, and the media are a large part of that - it shouldn't be, but thats the reality. the obama team might not be spending money on clothes, but they will also be concentrating on the overall image they present.

don't get me wrong, i'm no republican supporter - i'm just interested in the whole process and peoples views on it.

And people should pay attention to that in other countries as well and other parties. If the group is willing to piss that amount of money away on a wardrobe imagine what they will do once in office.
luke

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skylace wrote:
imagine what they will do once in office.

i dread to think! Shocked
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If the group is willing to piss that amount of money away on a wardrobe imagine what they will do once in office.

that's how I think most people who live on a restrained budget will see it - of course, it will also play into the hands of those who aspire to be wealthy no matter the cost to their own country or the planet.
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

faceless wrote:
Quote:
If the group is willing to piss that amount of money away on a wardrobe imagine what they will do once in office.

that's how I think most people who live on a restrained budget will see it - of course, it will also play into the hands of those who aspire to be wealthy no matter the cost to their own country or the planet.

Right now most people over here are living on a restrained budget. Of course you will always have people who take a different view. There's a flip side for everyone.
luke

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think that kinda mindset will fit right into some of the mccain supporters. i mean i've seen recently him recently going on about no sharing the wealth - ie, don't increase taxes on rich people and big corporations- and they're all cheering!?!? if a politician over here said that ( they might do it, but they wouldn't say it ) they'd be committing electoral suicide. but over there, they're all cheering!?

why should warren buffet pay less taxes than his cleaner? and why do they support that?!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> News mash All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 9 of 13

Jump to: