Should politicians have radio shows?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Pirty's Purgatory
View previous topic :: View next topic  
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:20 am    Post subject: Should politicians have radio shows? Reply with quote

Should politicians have radio shows?
Maggie Brown
The Guardian,
July 7, 2008

Sara Nathan, former Ofcom member; helped launch Radio 5 Live
There's no reason a politician shouldn't host a radio show. Like all other broadcasters, politicians have to abide by the broadcast codes on things such as impartiality, fairness and due prominence. They will have to pay special attention at election times - but again all broadcasters, especially live or news and current affairs based ones, have to do that, why not politicians?

There's a fair precedent going back to Ann Widdecombe, Edwina Currie, Michael Portillo and Diane Abbott, to name only four, of politico-broad-casters on radio and television. If Ken Livingstone wants to join that crew, and LBC think he'll pull in the listeners, why not?

Matthew d'Ancona, editor, Spectator
I am all for politicians becoming broadcasters. Ken Livingstone is drenched in politics and political knowledge and has a famous charisma. What's not to like? If you don't agree with his views, switch off. Better still, call in.

I can't stand George Galloway's views, but he is a sensationally good broadcaster and those who disagree with him (like me) should have the guts to listen and see if they can do any better. There is a dreary side to media culture in this country which, I suppose, has two origins. First, the old division of labour where each person is allowed to do one thing and one thing alone. But Ken, like his newts and many of his fellow politicians, is amphibious (check out Michael Gove's excellent contributions to Newsnight Review).

The second is the Reithian notion that only BBC broadcasting is real broadcasting. Again, there is no intrinsic reason why that should be so. I love the Today programme but I also like listening to presenters with strong opinions and the capacity to challenge orthodoxy. I was a strong supporter of Boris's candidacy, but I think it's excellent that Ken is taking to the airwaves. Good luck to him.

Phil Riley, strategy adviser, commercial radio expert
Of course they should - if they can pass the two key tests for talk radio hosts - "Tell the truth" and "Never be boring". Rule 1 doesn't mean you need to be impartial. It just means hosts (like politicians) shouldn't take a particular view on something just for controversy's sake, because if you don't believe the things you are saying your listeners (or voters) will soon rumble you.

Rule 2 is obvious. The best talk hosts, like politicians, are the sort of people you'd love to go to dinner with. You might not agree with their views - but you know you'll have a great conversation. Ken (and Boris) both easily pass these tests. Now, what a great breakfast show double act that would be!

James Whale, ex TalkSport presenter; host, Bid TV
No. The daily responsibilities of running the country, should, especially at the moment in the current climate, be enough for politicians to occupy their day. Politicians should be concentrating on their day-to-day jobs of being MPs and making this country a better place to live; rather than parading themselves in the limelight. Politicians who want to lead a celebrity lifestyle by being the "stars" on their own radio/TV shows or take part in reality shows should leave the running of the country to those who are interested. The pursuit of celebrity shouldn't be a dream of a politician - they should be concerned about our welfare and the country, rather than their next photoshoot.

Tony Stoller, commercial radio historian
Good politicians need opinions that meld with those of their electorate. Good radio presenters need opinions that inform debate, but leave ample room for what listeners want to hear and say. These are not easy skills to acquire, and few come to the radio job fully formed. Listeners also deserve the stimulus of strongly held views that come from the middle ground, just as much as the extremes. Politicians who can learn how to deliver all that, without slipping into self-caricature, can be among the best radio presenters. If they fail on any counts, they can be among the worst.

-----------------

So the editor of The Spectator has respect for Galloway and James Whale thinks he should be doing his real job? The world's gone crazy! haha
Brown Sauce

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Phil Riley, strategy adviser, commercial radio expert
Of course they should - if they can pass the two key tests for talk radio hosts - "Tell the truth" and "Never be boring".

I think that there's at least a third, a good voice, and this one is in the case of Livingstone in my opinion missing. He might be interesting, may have principal led views, but if the voice grates, folk will turn off.
nekokate

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Tell the truth" and "Never be boring". How many radio presenters does that exclude??!!
ItzMeRon

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Answer: Fuck yes!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
luke

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

did anyone catch any of livingstones shows? apparently he was filling in the afternoon slot for a bit, jenny somethings show ...
luke

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kens starting his weekly show from tomorrow ( saturday ) at 10am till 1pm

www.lbc.co.uk
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one Luke, are you gonna record it? I'm not sure if I could handle his voice for hours on end...
luke

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'll try if i'm up in time ...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Pirty's Purgatory All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: