North Pole to be free of ice this summer?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 6:31 pm    Post subject: North Pole to be free of ice this summer? Reply with quote

Will North Pole Be Ice-Free This Summer?
Saturday June 28, 2008
Sky News

The North Pole could melt entirely and be ice free this summer for the first time in history, researchers in the region have said. Recent forecasts suggested the first ice-free summer in the area would happen after 2013, but the latest updates have shown a dramatic deterioration and climate change has been blamed on the rising arctic temperatures.

"We're actually projecting this year that the North Pole may be free of ice for the first time," David Barber from the University of Manitoba told National Geographic from his Canadian research icebreaker. The scientists have found the ice around the Pole to be what is known as annual or first-year ice. Less robust than older ice, it is much more likely to melt when the weather warms.

Fresh warnings have also emerged from scientists from the University of Colorado's National Snow and Ice Data Centre. "This year there is a lot of young ice. There's always some, but this year there's a lot," researcher Andy Mahoney said. "There were some people who were saying last year was a rogue year. If the same thing happens again a lot more people are going to be persuaded about the consequences of global warming. A lot of people think it's a very small change in temperature. This shows that the change in sea ice is quite a dramatic consequence."

--------------------

Of course Global Warming is just a scam dreamt up by politicians to tax us more - the North Pole melting is just perfectly normal...

crazed
luke

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the question is to what extent are mans actions contributing to it? i believe in global warming, it would happen if there weren't any people here ( it might just take longer ) other planets in our solar system are also warming up ... we've got to learn to adapt to the changing climate, and we're not.

on the subject of global warming ( and the media )

Quote:
Max Boykoff and J. Timmons Roberts of Oxford's Environmental Change Institute in a 2007 UNDP report:

“One could summarize ... that the media has at times kept the issue of climate change alive, but has also limited the extent to which real change in the organization of society [has] been called for. To put it plainly, the press has been quite reformist in its portrayal of the needed action on climate change, when the scientific projections suggest the issue may call for truly revolutionary changes. The difficult position of the media in capitalist society is that commercial news outlets require huge amounts of advertising to pay their salaries and other expenses, and the greatest advertisers are for automobiles, real estate, airlines, fast food, and home furnishings. To create demand for real mitigation of climate change emissions would require the media to repeatedly and insistently call for truly revolutionary changes in society, precisely away from consumption of the products of their advertisers.”

download report here
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luke wrote:
the question is to what extent are mans actions contributing to it? i believe in global warming, it would happen if there weren't any people here ( it might just take longer ) other planets in our solar system are also warming up ... we've got to learn to adapt to the changing climate, and we're not.

I totally agree luke. Climate changes have happened before us and have happened during our lifetimes. We adapted and lived through an ice-age and more. We have obviously contributed to the current changes in climate (speeding it up) but it would have happened without us as well. Like you said, we have to learn to adapt. You think it would be something we would figure out as species we have done it more than once.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder how long polar bears took to develop? That should be a fair indicator of how regular this happens.
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

faceless wrote:
I wonder how long polar bears took to develop? That should be a fair indicator of how regular this happens.

Actually glaciers are much better at telling this. That is why they study them so closely. They are our most sensitive indicators to climate change.

As for the polar bear, I found this:

"The bear family, ursidae, is believed to have split off from other carnivorans about 38 million years ago. The ursinae subfamily originated approximately 4.2 million years ago. According to both fossil and DNA evidence, the polar bear diverged from the brown bear, Ursus arctos, roughly 200 thousand years ago. The oldest known polar bear fossil is less than 100 thousand years old. Fossils show that between 10 and 20 thousand years ago, the polar bear's molar teeth changed significantly from those of the brown bear. Polar bears are thought to have diverged from a population of brown bears that became isolated during a period of glaciation in the Pleistocene.[12]"

So they came about during the last ice age. In the history of the earth, like a lot of larger mammals (including us) they haven't been around that long.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the last ice age ended about 10000 years ago though - not 200000
Mandy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 10:26 pm    Post subject: Re: North Pole to be free of ice this summer? Reply with quote

faceless wrote:

Of course Global Warming is just a scam dreamt up by politicians to tax us more - the North Pole melting is just perfectly normal...

Actually, the global temperature figures nows shows climate COOLING, which is why the never-wrong governments now talk of "climate change" (not climate warming), thus continuing the tax scam. Hard to get people to pay for taxes against "heating" when the world around them is cooling.

See www.dailytech.com/Temperature%2BMonitors%2BReport%2BWorldwide%2BGlobal%2BCooling/article10866.htm
Temperature Monitors Report Widescale Global Cooling
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

logically that makes no sense - so I did a bit of searching myself and found this link which suggests a massive volcanic eruption undersea in the area. But this doesn't explain why things have been getting worse over years.

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2008-06/haog-fut062508.php
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

faceless wrote:

The Pleistocene is the last ice age and lasted from 1.8 million to 10,000 years BP. So they would have evolved during that time frame.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skylace wrote:
faceless wrote:

The Pleistocene is the last ice age and lasted from 1.8 million to 10,000 years BP. So they would have evolved during that time frame.

Yeah, I didn't really think that through properly, my point was meant to be about how you said that humans had dealt with such eventualities before and that doesn't seem to be the case.
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

faceless wrote:
Skylace wrote:
faceless wrote:

Yeah, I didn't really think that through properly, my point was meant to be about how you said that humans had dealt with such eventualities before and that doesn't seem to be the case.

But we have. We lived during an ice age. The Clovis Hunters (which Clovis, New Mexico is named after) lived about 11,500 years ago and survived not only the ice age but also the climate changes that happened during that time. So our species was around during the time of major climate changes to the earth.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

but none of those changes were as intense as this current one, that's the important difference. I wish I could remember where I left the clip from a documentary that shows how this works.

I'll find it again and post it tomorrow with any luck...
luke

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think you've all got it wrong. the increase in temperature is due to the decrease in the number of .... pirates!

Laughing

from the church of the flying spaghetti monster!
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

luke wrote:
i think you've all got it wrong. the increase in temperature is due to the decrease in the number of .... pirates!

Laughing

from the church of the flying spaghetti monster!

How could I have not seen this! Once again the Flying Spaghetti Monster speaks the truth! Thank you so much for opening my eyes luke.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shiver me timbers... I don't think it be a laughing matter.. arrrr
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> News mash All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: