Soap Stars in Panto
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
thatcomedian

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Comedian, going a bit happy with the links eh? Laughing I've sorted them out so they are embedded here. However, if you could post a few together instead of the multi-post. Smile
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cinderella's dancing Fairy Godmother
20 December 2007
www.eadt.co.uk

Last year Angie Watts was the wicked queen at the Regent Theatre panto - this year her on-screen daughter Sharon gets to be the fairy godmother. Arts Editor Andrew Clarke spoke to actress Letitia Dean about EastEnders, her love of pantomimes and her success on Strictly Come Dancing.

She first gained fame as the loud and brassy Sharon Watts - Dirty Den's adopted daughter in EastEnders. Now Letitia Dean, wowing audiences on Strictly Come Dancing, is about to add some sparkle in Cinderella at the Ipswich Regent.

Letitia admits that no-one is more surprised than her that she has done so well in the popular, audience-friendly ballroom dance show. She says that even though she went to stage school and received some dance training there it was all very rudimentary and a long time ago.

The first thing you notice about Letitia is that she's a very enthusiastic, bubbly individual and appears to have had a genuinely good experience on the BBC Saturday night programme.

“I've never been so fit,” she laughs, “People say is the old stage school training coming back but it's got nothing to do with it. What we did was so different from ballroom… but even if it was, it's so long ago - 23 years ago - that I could barely remember it. It really was going back and starting from scratch.

“When you talk about dance training at stage school it wasn't up to Darcy Bussell standard. It was good toes, naughty toes and that was it. That's why I felt so honoured to have someone like Darren Bennett guiding me through it all. Showing me the way that you are supposed to move your hips… my hips haven't moved like that for years.”

Letitia lets fly another full-blooded throaty laugh. It's clear that she's enjoying life away from Albert Square and enjoying being back in the spotlight as Letitia Dean rather than as a tempestuous barmaid in a soap opera.

But she says that the shadow of Sharon Watts is not something that she's worried about and recognises that the former daughter of The Old Vic's most notorious landlords (Dirty Den and Angie) was the reason why there was a lot of initial interest in her on Strictly Come Dancing. But it was her performance and her personality which kept her there.

“People expect a lot if you are an actor or a singer because it's all about performance. I can walk in a straight line without falling over but that's about it. Darren's taught me about performing a dance, not just doing the steps. What I love about ballroom and Latin is that there's a story with it. That's why Darren is so good, he treats the dance like a story, he knows when to pull an audience in and when to let you go, it's just like telling a story.”

She said that Ipswich audiences will be seeing a new improved Letitia when she takes to the stage as the Fairy Godmother. “I tell you what; I will never be this fit again. You use muscles that you never knew you had.” However she admits that at times there are moments when she realises that she's no longer 18.

“When I walk upstairs now my knees rattle. It's time to start taking the supplements now and my feet haven't been out of my foot spa.”

So what made her expose herself to the potentially dismissive vagaries of a Saturday night audience? “It's a challenge and I fancied having the fear of God put back into me. I think that most actors, most performers like that - they like that adrenalin rush. We get a buzz from doing something different - something a little bit dangerous. It's easy to drift along in that comfort zone and it's good to shake things up a bit - it's quite sadistic really but in a good way.”

She said that it was the BBC that contacted her rather her chasing a place in the competition. She said that she had watched previous series and had always enjoyed it.

“What I love about it is the diverse mix of people that take part. It's a real eclectic bunch of people - you have the sportspeople, the actors and the singers… I was thinking about my 40th birthday, which was in November, and as I've got older I have thought it would be nice to learn how to dance properly - a nice cheeky foxtrot, you know - so it all came together at the right time.

“It was the one reality show I really fancied doing. For me, it was something more than Big Brother or those other shows - not that there's anything wrong with those shows - but how often do you have the opportunity to be taught by the British Latin Champion?”

She said that the fact that Strictly Come Dancing was a family show was an important factor in her decision to sign up. This is also one of the major reasons why she loves doing panto each year.

She has done so many in fact that she admits that she has now lost count. “I have done about 13 or 14 over the years. I started out as a kid in panto. I started off playing Cinderella - that was my first role - and now I'm the old fairy godmother. Cinderella is one of my favourite pantos of them all. It's very romantic - the whole notion - and the Ugly Sisters are just terrific.”

She said this production in Ipswich was going to be magical. “We've got a real pony on stage - which means that we've got to tread a bit carefully. The Ugly Sisters are going to be awesome. We've got Simon Bashford and Adam Daye who are fantastic. I think the Ugly Sisters are the epitome of panto, the way that they play up to the audience and the audience respond to them. That's what I love about panto - it's the interaction. It's the feeling that we are all having a good time together.

“I've never worked with Simon or Adam before but I have watched one of their pantos and they are so good - the kids are going to love them - I am really looking forward to appearing with them.”

She said that as a performer she loved the immediate comeback from an audience. “On telly or film you don't get that. You have to wait for a break to ask: “Was that all right? Did that work?” With an audience you know immediately. If it's funny they laugh and it fuels the performance. You can gauge an audience and change and fine tune what you do as you go. Some things work better with some crowds than others. Every show is different.”

She says she marvels at the way that the comedians can control the “temperature” of an audience. A good dame or the comic acts can bring up an audience up to fever pitch - having the kids screaming at the stage or calm them down as required. “It's fascinating to watch. But you have to be careful. We've all had sweets thrown at us before by an over-excited crowd.”

Even though Letitia is obviously a huge fan of television, she also sees panto playing a huge role in public entertainment in the 21st century. She said that people who regard pantomime as dated or old fashioned were misguided. “People still keeping coming back because it is one of the few treats that is still proper family entertainment. People of all ages can go along and have a good time and get something different from it. Even though they may be a few double entendres they fly over the kids heads and everyone has a good time. It's not cruel, it's not crass, it's good old fashioned family entertainment and there's not too much of that left today. It's about going as a family.

“It's still the first time that the majority of people go to the theatre and experience the thrill of live entertainment. It's not recorded, it's not up on a screen, it's not a computer game - it's real people, there on a stage performing for you in the audience - making you laugh and everyone is having a good time.”

She said that she still dips into EastEnders to keep a check on what is happening and would never rule out a return to the square. She said that she left the last time at the beginning of 2006 because she needed a break. “So I went away to re-evaluate my life and just take stock of what I was doing and what I wanted. This is why I wanted to do Strictly because it is something different, something unusual and a challenge which is exactly what I needed.

“It's what makes you an actor and not an accountant. But, funnily enough, one of the joys of being in a soap is that for a year you know what you are doing. You know you are going to get paid every week. But in the end it's also what makes you leave. But I have the greatest respect for that show (EastEnders) because it's been really good to me. I could never moan about it or say it type cast me because it provided me with work and gave me such a wonderful experience for the whole time I was on it. It served me really well.”

“Doing something like Strictly and doing the pantomime, it's brought it home to me that I am very much a company player. My idea of hell would be doing a one woman show. I like people and I like company. If I was a singer, for example, I would much rather be in a group, in a girl band, than be a solo singer because I like the interaction.

“As I found with Strictly and EastEnders the cast are like family - in fact you see them more than your family. Occasionally there's a bit of turbulence but you have that in any family, you just put your head down and get over it. And when you work together so consistently on a soap you just get to know each other so well.”

Letitia is also delighted to learn that former EastEnders cast-member Bill Treacher lives in Suffolk. “I love Bill. He was a sod for making people laugh. He would cause us to corpse all the time (laugh during a performance) and the camera would be rolling and he would look all innocent and say 'it's got nothing to do with me'. He kept a really straight face. He's lovely, lovely person.

“He's also a great advert for acting. He's so passionate about what he does. He was a great help for me and for Sue Tulley who played his daughter.”

Even though Letitia has said farewell to all the ballgowns and glitter on Saturdays, she doesn't miss the razzamatazz because she's got it all again on stage every evening at the Ipswich Regent. “It's been quite a year. Just think I have been covered in sequins from September until January. It's every girl's dream. It's like spending your life in the dressing up box!”

Cinderella with Letitia Dean runs from December 14 to January 6 at the Ipswich Regent. Tickets can be booked online at www.IpswichRegent.com
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good article, thanks Face.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coronation Street bad boy Gray O’Brien stars in Aladdin at Manchester Opera House
Dec 10 2009
Chester Chronicle

CORONATION Street bad boy Gray O’Brien is the star attraction in the spectacular pantomime Aladdin at the Opera House in Manchester this Christmas.

O’Brien – best known as Tony Gordon – is playing the evil Abanazar, with Hollyoaks and Dancing on Ice favourite Chris Fountain taking the role of Aladdin. Also in the cast is Sue Devaney (Coronation Street, Dinner Ladies) as the Genie of The Ring, Eric Potts (who played Diggory Compton in Corrie), as the panto dame Widow Twankey, XFM DJ Mike McClean as Wishee Washee and former BBC Radio 2 Choirgirl of the Year, Eloise Irving as Princess Jasmine.

Kevin Wood, chief executive of First Family Entertainment, producers of the pantomime, said: “This production of Aladdin is going to be the most spectacular pantomime the Manchester audiences have ever seen, with the most magnificent set and costumes, fabulous song and dance routines and a laugh-a-minute script.”

Aladdin can be seen at the Opera House in Quay Street until January 3. Ring 0844 847 2295 or visit www.palaceandoperahouse.org.uk

--------------------

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! Laughing
SpursFan1902
Pitch Queen

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boo hiss.... and he is still playing evil! He is going to get typecast if he is not careful!! Laughing
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larry Lamb is the ultimate baddie for St Albans panto
Charlotte Morgan
Saturday, 10 July, 2010
hertsad.co.uk

A VILLAINOUS EastEnder has picked the equally evil role of Captain Hook for his St Albans debut this Christmas. Larry Lamb, who played Archie Mitchell in EastEnders, is set to star in his first ever pantomime, Peter Pan, at the Alban Arena and said that he was looking forward to exercising his evil skills for the role.

He said: “There’s no such thing as a nice Captain Hook – he’s the ultimate baddie, and I look forward to doing him justice. It’s a classic panto and my kids have always been desperate for me to do one.” He added: “With pantomimes, you have to be known to be asked. It’s thanks to shows like EastEnders and Gavin and Stacey that I was approached for Peter Pan, and I wasn’t going to say no. I think it’s a great honour to be part of a panto and any actor will tell you it looks good on the CV!”

Larry, whose character Archie was voted Villain of the Year at this year’s British Soap Awards, lives a short train journey away in North London and said that he remembered St Albans from his youth: “I used to come to St Albans on the number 84 bus from my home in Edmonton to go and see Roman Verulamium. It’s a pretty city and because I live so close, it will be easy for me to get to Alban Arena rehearsals come Christmas time.”

Larry and his fellow cast members, including 23-year-old CBeebies presenter Katy Ashworth who plays Peter Pan, already have the panto script and, come November, they will have only two weeks to perfect the show which will start on December 10 and run until January 2, 2011.

Larry, who said that his young daughters would want a seat at every show, said that he grew up wanting to be a dentist, doctor or businessman, but fell into professional acting aged 27: “It all kicked off with theatre and I gradually got into TV from there. If you’re a big bloke and working class, that tends to push you towards a particular character, but I have been lucky in the range of roles I’ve played. EastEnders was an unforgettable experience and I have such fond memories of it.”

Peter Pan promises dazzling sets and costumes, musical numbers and fun-packed family comedy. Tickets start at £15 and for more information visit www.alban-arena.co.uk
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are the Eastenders stars you can see on stage this Christmas:

Shane Ritchie, who plays Alfie Moon, is starring in Aladdin at the Cliffs Pavillion, Westcliffe-on-Sea from the 17th of December to the 31st of December 2011.

Leslie Grantham, who played the legendary ‘Dirty’ Den Watts, is appearing in Mother Goose at The Stag Theatre Sevenoaks until the 1st of January 2012.

Letitia Dean, who played ‘Dirty’ Den’s daughter Sharon Watts, is starring as the Fairy Godmother in Cinderella at the Corn Exchange, Kings Lynn until the 3rd of January 2012.

Steve McFadden, Eastenders hard man Phil Mitchell, is Captain Hook in Peter Pan at the Peacocks Theatre, Woking until the 15th of January 2012. Playing alongside Steve is Harry Derbidge from TV reality show The only way is Essex.

Joe Swash, who played Mickey Miller, stars in Aladdin at the Regents Theatre, Stoke on Trent until the 15th January 2012. Joe was also the winner of the 2008 series of I'm a Celebrity, Get Me Out Of Here!

Sid Owen, otherwise known as long suffering Ricky Butcher, stars in Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs at the White Rock Theatre, Hastings until the 31st December 2011.

Dean Gaffney, who played Robbie Jackson, plays Wishee Washee in the Thameside Theatre, Grays production of Aladdin which runs until the 8th January 2012.

Larry Lamb, who played the murdered Archie Mitchell, is the wicked Abanazar in Aladdin at the Ashcroft Theatre, Croydon until the 2nd January 2012.

John Partridge, who plays Christian Clarke, is appearing in Cinderella at the New Marlowe Theatre, Canterbury with TV presenter and magician Stephen Mulherne until the 22nd January 2012.

Stefan Booth, who until recently played Gregg Jessop, is appearing as Prince Stefan in the Palace Theatre, Redditch production of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. The show runs until the 31st of December 2011.

Glynnis Barber played Glenda Mitchell, the manipulative mother of Roxy and Ronnie. She’s now appearing as the Wicked Witch in Sleeping Beauty at the Assembly Hall Theatre, Tunbridge Wells until the 2nd January 2012.

David Spinx, who played Keith Miller, is in the Churchill Theatre, Bromley production of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs with Patsy Kensit until the 8th January 2012.

Devon Anderson, who played Carol’s son Billie Jackson, is Jack Trott in Jack and the Beanstalk at the Shaw Theatre, London until the 31st December 2011.

Louisa Lytton, who played Ruby Allen, takes the lead role in Cinderella at the Camberley Theatre until the 2nd January 2012.

Lucy Benjamin, who played Phil Mitchell’s one time lover Lisa Fowler, is appearing in Peter Pan at the Mayflower Theatre, Southampton until the 14th January 2012.

SeatChoice.com founder Robert Iles said: “It’s a good job they film Eastenders a few weeks in advance otherwise there'd be very few characters left in Albert Square for the Christmas episodes! Pantomimes are a great British tradition and it’s marvellous to see that plenty of TV celebrities are still up for having a bit of fun at Christmas without taking themselves too seriously. Soap villains transfer brilliantly into panto baddies such as Abanazar in Aladdin and Captain Hook in Peter Pan, but it must be quite a change for the actors to hear the boos and hisses of the audience for a change.
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hadn't realized just how popular panto was..... We really don't have that here. Or maybe it's just something the cast of EE do (judging by the list!).
SpursFan1902
Pitch Queen

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just watched the ending of one. Pretty entertaining...corny jokes, bad make up, and men playing women...all the finest things about live acting! ;)
Twirley

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eefanincan wrote:
I hadn't realized just how popular panto was..... We really don't have that here. Or maybe it's just something the cast of EE do (judging by the list!).

Oh no! Panto is massive at Christmas. Every kid wants to go to one and a lot of adults, too!! It's just hilariously fun esp when they do adult jokes that go over the kids' heads.

He's behind you!!!!
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not big over here either. I remember how surprised I was by it when I moved over there. What was even more surprising was that the teachers put them on at the schools. I got to take part in the one for the school I worked for over there. But what was even more surprising was the tray of screwdrivers being passed around to drink before we went on stage! Laughing
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I guess that alcohol is the key to a good panto, then? Laughing
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Got it in one eefan!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Soaps All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: