Corrie: Beverly Callard yob gets curfew

View previous topic :: View next topic  
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 1:52 pm    Post subject: Corrie: Beverly Callard yob gets curfew Reply with quote

Curfew for yob who chased Street star
13/10/2007
www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk

A ROAD rage yob who pursued terrified Coronation Street star Beverley Callard for two miles while throwing objects at her car has been condemned by magistrates. Imran Alam, 23, 'cut up' and intimidated the actress as he chased her silver Mercedes convertible.

Manchester Magistrates' Court heard how Alam followed Miss Callard's car as she drove to work at Granada Studios. For two miles, starting on Princess Parkway, near Moss Side, Alam and his passenger in a Toyota Corolla threw objects at her car, which she said sounded like `nuts and bolts' bouncing off the roof. Jennifer Baines, prosecuting, said Miss Callard, 49, was also 'cut up' and forced to brake heavily.

Alam, of Downham Road, Heaton Chapel, Stockport, didn't turn up for his trial last week, claiming sickness, and the case went ahead without him. He was convicted in his absence of driving without due care and behaviour causing harassment, alarm and distress. Sentencing him yesterday, court chairman Neil Farnell said: "It must be absolutely terrifying for people to endure this sort of behaviour. It will not be tolerated."

Alam was given a six-month curfew, keeping him indoors between 10pm and 7am, and seven points on his licence. He was also told to pay £350 costs. Audrey Martin, defending, said she would be lodging an appeal against conviction and sentence. Outside court Alam said he was `disgusted' with the decision and claimed he did not know who Miss Callard was, adding: "I have never watched Coronation Street in my life."

----------------------

I'd not heard about this story before - though the story doesn't say what caused this guy to lose the rag in the first place.
pirtybirdy
'Native New Yorker'

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't care if Ms. Callard gave him the finger. What that guy did was intolerable and if you ask me, he got off easy. This is why little jerks like him think he can continue with behavior like that, because he thinks he's done nothing wrong.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've enough experience of people putting my life at risk through their own careless/dangerous driving, who then get all 'hurt' (ego bruised) when you point out their mistake, to know that there's bound to be more to this story. Of course, that doesn't justify this guy being so intimidating...
misslisalynn

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like I told my daughter when she got her license, I don't worry about her driving, just every other ***hole on the road. Driver's like this guy should get more than a curfew.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But what if her bad driving caused the situation in the first place and there was no proof? It's rare that anybody would chase someone for miles just because of a minor incident.
misslisalynn

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh Face if that was only true. There have been many cases here in the States where people have done worse than just chase people down for minor incidents. A couple of years ago I watched a a case on COURT TV where a guy shot and killed someone because the person cut him off, that's drastic.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, but that's a rare case - which is my point.

I'm not denying it happens, but my personal experience of people in Mercedes sports cars is that they think they own the road, so I need to be convinced that there wasn't more to this case.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Soaps All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: