Corrie - Terry Duckworth to return?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 2:18 pm    Post subject: Corrie - Terry Duckworth to return? Reply with quote

Twirley

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it would be fitting for Nigel to return as Terry for Vera's farewell. It would also be good to see how he interacted with Paul...maybe set up some kind of seething hatred thing between them or Terry offering Paul advice and then they bond only for Terry to leave again. Oh, the possibilities are endless...!

Razz
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nigel Pivaro returns to Coronation Street as TV villain Terry Duckworth
April 11, 2012
Mancheseter Evening News

Everyone loves a baddie and Coronation Street’s Terry Duckworth is up there with EastEnders’ Nick Cotton as the archetypal soap villain. But actor Nigel Pivaro reckons his alter ego is more a rogue of circumstance than an out-and-out evil character. Terry’s return to the Street on Monday is another twist in Nigel’s life, having played Jack and Vera’s wayward son on and off since 1983 – most recently in 2008 when he made a brief return for Vera’s funeral.

We caught up with the Salford-born actor this week when he took a break from his new filming schedule to watch his hometown super league club, Salford City Reds, at their new stadium at Barton. “I always said ‘never say never’ about going back as Terry,” joked Nigel, who has since forged a career as a newspaper reporter. His high profile return sees Terry eyeing up a chance to make some money when he hears about his long-lost son’s inheritance from his maternal grandparents. “When viewers see him again, Terry’s not in dire straits but he’s quite flash and punching above his weight financially,” adds Nigel. “The important thing is it’s a crucial amount of money to Terry’s plans. He’s got that wide-boy persuasiveness and he has a willing recipient in terms of Tommy.”

And he explains that it’s not so shocking Tommy, played by Chris Fountain, might allow Terry back into his affections – even though Terry sold him as a baby! “Everyone’s curious about their relatives, even if they’re not everything they wanted them to be.”

Father and son meet during a scrap on the street when neither of them knows who the other is. And it just happens to be outside Terry’s latest money making venture – a lap-dancing bar. News of the imminent arrival of such a venue is enough to make busybody Norris Cole practically keel over and Emily Bishop blushes when he cheekily offers her an audition.

“Terry’s the Millwall Football Club of Coronation Street’s residents. No one likes him and he doesn’t care,” says 52-year-old Nigel who reflects that the Corrie filming schedule is a lot more hard-going these days. “It is a noticeable change from all those years ago when you’d do two episodes a week and it was like a theatre company. “Now we’re filming out of chronological sequence and when I first came in, I thought I’d need a degree in logistics to understand where everybody was going to be at any time.”

There have been big changes to the cast since he last appeared, too. “Yes, inevitably people retire, people sadly die and I’m already missing three or four stalwarts that were here the last time I was on set,” he says. Bill Tarmey, who played his dad, Jack, until 2010, is one of those. “I still see Bill. I actually went to his 50th wedding anniversary the other day but it’s strange without him here. I keep expecting him to rear up behind me and tap me on the shoulder, script in hand,” says Nigel.

Nigel attended prestigious drama school Rada before making his acting debut on stage in 1983. Later that year, he won the part of Terry. He left the role four years later before returning again in 1992 and has made many reappearances throughout the nineties and early noughties. Then he left to study for a degree and, in 2003, graduated in contemporary military and international history from Salford, and three years later he was awarded a masters degree in social science and economics at Aberystwyth. The same year he became a journalist and went on to make documentaries.

“For several years I was reticent about coming back (to Coronation Street), even for Vera’s funeral in 2008, but I did so out of a sense of loyalty,” says Nigel. “It was a delight to be asked to come back now and it came at the right time. I’ve been scribbling professionally for five years and feel comfortable and established doing what I do.” He never finds it difficult to slip back into Terry’s conniving ways. “I didn’t look at old scripts or episodes because you don’t do that in life, you’re in the moment,” he says.

While numerous soap villains have come and gone over the years, Terry continues to stand out in the public’s consciousness. “I think it helped coming from an iconic family,” he muses. “We gelled well as a threesome.” Plus he doesn’t play nasty for nasty’s sake. “Terry’s got a certain charm. He also has his lighter moments and it’s important to capitalise on those. “If he was dark and heavy all the time it would be too much. He also has his own logic and rationale. “It sounds pretty horrendous selling his son when he was a few months old, but you don’t play it like that. “My rationale for Terry was, ‘I don’t want this child growing up with Jack and Vera. Look what a mess they made of me. I don’t want him growing up on a back street in Weatherfield when he could be growing up in suburban Blackpool with middle-class guardians’.”

Nigel laughs when he recalls how viewers give him both negative and positive comments about Terry’s exploits, but admits that his soap role has allowed him to get a foot in the door – literally – in his life as a journalist. “Soap acting was tailor-made for what I was doing because it opens doors and gets people talking to you. It’s heaven-sent really. I adore journalism, but it’s nice to be able to do more than one thing.” But Nigel says he’ll return to journalism once his two-month stint on Coronation Street has finished. “I’m treating it like a holiday, a break from the usual. I always hope that at some point there is a turn in Terry but there would have to be a logic to it. “Terry doesn’t go through life wanting to be bad, he just has to be bad because of circumstance, but circumstances can change. “Whatever happens to Terry, I want to be there when it does because I’ve put so much into him.”
Twirley

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twirley wrote:
I think it would be fitting for Nigel to return as Terry for Vera's farewell. It would also be good to see how he interacted with Paul...maybe set up some kind of seething hatred thing between them or Terry offering Paul advice and then they bond only for Terry to leave again. Oh, the possibilities are endless...!

Razz

I just re-read my comment from 2007 and can't remember who the hell Paul is!! Anyway, sub in Tommy for Paul and I can say the same thing again.

Laughing
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

haha, I've no idea who that was either.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Soaps All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: