our first mention on the GG show
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Pirty's Purgatory
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mandy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johanssonite wrote:
Good post, and he's right.

I used to think Galloway just stood up for the little guy, for the victim, and stood on the side of what's right. I've noticed though that that's not the case, he just tends to give Arabs the benefit of the doubt. The evidence for this is on how he talks about Iran, he'd never speak in that manner about any Arab nation.

Johanssonite, maybe you haven't been listening to George, but he has condemned explicitly pretty well every Arab ruler as a US puppet/dictator.

Do you remember him saying that ? He doesn't call Iran that. How does that fit into your statement above and what do you think of George's explicit AND REPEATED condemnation of Arab rulers?

p.s. Johanssonite, can you indicate how often and where you have heard George say Arabian Gulf ?

UPDATE : If you mean you are critising George for being with the Arab PEOPLE / CITIZENS / LITTLE GUYS, then what is wrong with that ? Aren't the arab people under attack from both Israel and their puppet rulers / dictators ?
Johanssonite

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mandy wrote:
Johanssonite wrote:
Good post, and he's right.

I used to think Galloway just stood up for the little guy, for the victim, and stood on the side of what's right. I've noticed though that that's not the case, he just tends to give Arabs the benefit of the doubt. The evidence for this is on how he talks about Iran, he'd never speak in that manner about any Arab nation.

Johanssonite, maybe you haven't been listening to George, but he has condemned explicitly pretty well every Arab ruler as a US puppet/dictator.

Do you remember him saying that ? He doesn't call Iran that. How does that fit into your statement above and what do you think of George's explicit AND REPEATED condemnation of Arab rulers?

p.s. Johanssonite, can you indicate how often and where you have heard George say Arabian Gulf ?

UPDATE : If you mean you are critising George for being with the Arab PEOPLE / CITIZENS / LITTLE GUYS, then what is wrong with that ? Aren't the arab people under attack from both Israel and their puppet rulers / dictators ?

I agree he condemns the puppet dictators, that doesn't make him anti-Arab. He is on the side of what's right, but my impression used to be that he was always on the side of what's right and that just most of the time happened to correlate with his support for the Arabs. What I've since realized is that he's primarily pro-Arab, and his pro-Arab stance just happens to correlate with whats right.

There can't be a more clear example of this than just listening to him talk about Iran and the tone he uses to talk about that country. A more specific example is his use of the term "Arabian Gulf" when no one in the English speaking world uses that term, and it's officially called the Persian Gulf at the UN. Why would he call it that if it wasn't for his pro-Arab bias.

He's used it on a number of occasions on his shows, I can't give you the exact show cuz I don't remember. Even this past Sunday night he said the Arabian Gulf and the followed it with "or the Persian Gulf", probably because I sent him an email talking about all of this.
Mandy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johanssonite wrote:
I agree he condemns the puppet dictators, that doesn't make him anti-Arab. He is on the side of what's right, but my impression used to be that he was always on the side of what's right and that just most of the time happened to correlate with his support for the Arabs.

A chicken an egg argument here .. George is only pro-arab CITIZEN because of the politics / reality on the ground.

How is this inconsistent with him condemning the rulers of Iran (which he did), whilst supporting the PEOPLE of Iran (by trying to stop an attack on them). On your logic, that makes George pro-Iranian.
Johanssonite

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mandy wrote:
Johanssonite wrote:
I agree he condemns the puppet dictators, that doesn't make him anti-Arab. He is on the side of what's right, but my impression used to be that he was always on the side of what's right and that just most of the time happened to correlate with his support for the Arabs.

A chicken an egg argument here .. George is only pro-arab CITIZEN because of the politics / reality on the ground.

How is this inconsistent with him condemning the rulers of Iran (which he did), whilst supporting the PEOPLE of Iran (by trying to stop an attack on them). On your logic, that makes George pro-Iranian.

If he was in fact on the side of what's right, and if he does stand up for the victims, he'd show at least a modicum of support for either the Iranian government or the Iranian people, and he's done neither. Which means he only stands up for what's right when the victims are Arabs (that's not an absolute but it runs true in most of what Galloways says).
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johanssonite wrote:
If he was in fact on the side of what's right, and if he does stand up for the victims, he'd show at least a modicum of support for either the Iranian government or the Iranian people, and he's done neither.

Did you listen to the audio file that was included near the start of this thread? In it Galloway states quite clearly that he is against the Iranian government and in support of the victims of its injustices, while also in support of that same government against America. It may be a tough concept, but it's fairly clear-cut when it comes down to it. He's showing support for Iran's sovereignty, while disagreeing with its current government.
Mandy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johanssonite wrote:
If he was in fact on the side of what's right, and if he does stand up for the victims, he'd show at least a modicum of support for either the Iranian government or the Iranian people, and he's done neither. Which means he only stands up for what's right when the victims are Arabs (that's not an absolute but it runs true in most of what Galloways says).

But George DOES offer a "modicum of support for both the Iranian government and the Iranian people" by warning that any attack on Iran would be disasterous for the West, and thus campaigning AGAINST an attack on Iran.

If you don't regard George as offering any support to Iran, then please tell us who you think in the West offers more vocal support to Iran and who is trying to stop the attack ?
DavidGig

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

About GG and CouchTripper:

Don't you remember the "Gloria Stitz" period? It was after you guys started talking about callers' pseudonyms that GG finally caught on. In fact, he acknowledged that he learned of it by reading a discussion. There's been a couple of times where it's been clear that he's at least aware of the site. (And of course there's the channel through Mandy.)

You've all been famous all this time and didn't even know it. Smile
Johanssonite

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mandy wrote:
Johanssonite wrote:

But George DOES offer a "modicum of support for both the Iranian government and the Iranian people" by warning that any attack on Iran would be disasterous for the West, and thus campaigning AGAINST an attack on Iran.

If you don't regard George as offering any support to Iran, then please tell us who you think in the West offers more vocal support to Iran and who is trying to stop the attack ?

I don't know of any prominent British or European figures, but there's a number of prominent and influential Americans voicing their objections to any Iran attack. But that's besides the point. Ultimately I think George as great as he is just a politician, and he has his biasses, and his views are molded into what they are not necessarily because of his compassion for the victims, but rather in large part because of his biasses.
Mandy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johanssonite wrote:
I don't know of any prominent British or European figures, but there's a number of prominent and influential Americans voicing their objections to any Iran attack. But that's besides the point. Ultimately I think George as great as he is just a politician, and he has his biasses, and his views are molded into what they are not necessarily because of his compassion for the victims, but rather in large part because of his biasses.

I am unsure who in this world who has a strong opinion couldn't be accused of "bias". I see a consistency in George's position when he looks at the Arab / Iran situation. Indeed, George consistently ties all major religions together as having a common thread and common humanity.

To be anti-Iran, you have to be anti-Muslim, and you can't accuse George of that.
nekokate

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mandy wrote:
To be anti-Iran, you have to be anti-Muslim, and you can't accuse George of that.

That's surely not true. That's like saying to be anti-Israel you have to be anti-Jewish.

Also, you could be fanatically Sunni, in which case it would be very easy to be anti-Iran without being anti-Muslim.
Mandy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nekokate wrote:
Mandy wrote:

That's surely not true. That's like saying to be anti-Israel you have to be anti-Jewish.

I meant anti-Iranian "people". George has already stated he is anti the Iranian Regime. The analogy to Israel is George is anti-Israeli government, but is endlessly defending Jewish people and their rights. He even defends the rights of Israelis born in Israel to stay there in a single state solution.

Isn't this anti-government, pro-people, respectful to ALL religions, a consistent stand ?

nekokate wrote:
Also, you could be fanatically Sunni, in which case it would be very easy to be anti-Iran without being anti-Muslim.

You are right, but George isn't fanatically Sunni (note what he says, and has always said, about the Taleban / Osama Bin Laden).
nekokate

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mandy wrote:
You are right...

That's aaaaallllll I need. *ironic self-deprecation disclaimer* Laughing
Mandy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing
luke

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

did i just hear him say couchtripper again? i wasn't paying attention properly but i'm sure i just heard him say couchtripper!
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had sent in that email from the Stop the War coalition as he'd not mentioned it, but then the woman from the group came on and so I thought the point was moot..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Pirty's Purgatory All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: