High Cost of Healthcare
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Health and Fitness
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:44 pm    Post subject: High Cost of Healthcare Reply with quote

I read this story today and it got me thinking about the high price of health care, especially home care. Working in the home health industry, I'm well aware of how hard it is to get care, and it seems that nothing is ever enough. I think the US has it much harder than we do here in Canada......... let's hear your thoughts and experiences with this. Have you ever had to care for a loved one/friend at home? What were some of your struggles and challenges? It's the type of thing that can be both rewarding and stressful at the same time.
pirtybirdy
'Native New Yorker'

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a very sad story. Unfortunately, his only option would have been to divorce his wife, and have her go on medicaid so that the government paid the bill. My Uncle had stepped up and cared for my grandfather, but in that case, my grandfather paid him a small cash wage every week, let him live in the house rent free, and paid for all his food consumption. My uncle also was able to go out here and there, and family members covered for him if he took a week's vacation. Some people don't have that luxury. I'd choose the U.S. healthcare over anywhere else in the world, but it is true not all are covered. Those who aren't at poverty level, aren't covered through employment, or by a spouses' plan, or those who can't afford the premiums on their own are the ones that fall through the cracks. My mom is one of those. It's not perfect, but there isn't a perfect solution anywhere yet. We could go with a National health system, but then you'll see quite clearly the quality of healthcare go downhill. That is why I'd say the majority are against a National health system here.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Those who aren't at poverty level, aren't covered through employment, or by a spouses' plan, or those who can't afford the premiums on their own are the ones that fall through the cracks

That seems more of a chasm than a crack to me...

The story is such a sad one, but surely there was some better way than flinging his wife off the balcony?
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you're right Faceless.... more of a chasm than a crack.

Pirty... it's nice to hear that your family could pull together like that to care for someone. Unfortunately, that doesn't happen all that often. I have to say that on average, I do a couple of "private pay" referrals a day where family have to work and want to pay for someone to come in a couple of times a week/day so that they can be assured their family is getting a bath/meal/etc. In my particular area, if you meet certain criteria, you can get up to 2 hrs/day of "personal support" care a day... which really isn't a lot, but if you need more than that, you should probably be in some sort of facility.... problem is there is a terribly long waiting list for those.

Having worked in the US health system, I can see that it has many advantages but also many disadvantages as well. As many problems as we have with our system in Canada, I'd take it any day over the US. I believe our system is somewhat similar to the NHS although I think the NHS might be more forward thinking than we are here. I guess what it comes down to is that nothing is perfect.
TheCaptain

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am in fact quite proud of the NHS. Of course, it is a bit of a national sport in the UK to whinge about how crap it is, and it certainly does have many failings. But I for one am very glad that it exists at all, and I am often horrified on my travels by the health systems in other countries. How can there be any kind of crack (let alone chasm) through which anybody can fall in a civilized country?

If a government cannot provide healthcare for all it has in my eyes no legitimacy.

My compliments,

TheCaptain.
SpursFan1902
Pitch Queen

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

faceless wrote:
Quote:
Those who aren't at poverty level, aren't covered through employment, or by a spouses' plan, or those who can't afford the premiums on their own are the ones that fall through the cracks

That seems more of a chasm than a crack to me...

The story is such a sad one, but surely there was some better way than flinging his wife off the balcony?

I am unfortuantely one of those "crack/chasm" people. I am not at the poverty level, I am unemployed and have no spouse, so my choices were slim. The point of the sentance is I did have choices, they are very expensive choices, but I had choices none the less. SInce I am a fulltime student, there is student insurance thru my university (who now has a football team that is ranked #6 in the county - yeah!) however, it is only administered thru the main campus that I don' attend and is pretty far away. I opted for private insurance and for good coverage, it is costing me $238.00 a month. Since I have the financial ability to pay for it, I do.

Having said all of that, even though I have insurance, I would certainly opt for some sort of national coverage (like the NHS) if all things were equal. I think that someone who couldn't afford the 238 a month should have insurance and they should pay what they can afford. Our government should be providing some sort of assistance...more than what they are doing now.
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're still trying to get insurance for the both of us that we can afford and it's insane. Right now our paperwork is at an "underwriter" and we have to wait at least three weeks before we hear anything.
I can only hope we have no emergencies.
luke

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpursFan1902 wrote:
I am unfortuantely one of those "crack/chasm" people. I am not at the poverty level, I am unemployed and have no spouse, so my choices were slim. The point of the sentance is I did have choices, they are very expensive choices, but I had choices none the less. SInce I am a fulltime student, there is student insurance thru my university (who now has a football team that is ranked #6 in the county - yeah!) however, it is only administered thru the main campus that I don' attend and is pretty far away. I opted for private insurance and for good coverage, it is costing me $238.00 a month. Since I have the financial ability to pay for it, I do.

Having said all of that, even though I have insurance, I would certainly opt for some sort of national coverage (like the NHS) if all things were equal. I think that someone who couldn't afford the 238 a month should have insurance and they should pay what they can afford. Our government should be providing some sort of assistance...more than what they are doing now.

thats pretty terrible, lukcy you can pay it spursfan, i bet theres lots that can't though ... you'd think the government would be able to help kids/students out at the least - i mean to get them educated and keep them well and fit is to the benefit of the country. its mad that of all the industrialised nations, america is the only one without universal healthcare. but i guess the american elite are to busy buying bombs and giving tax breaks to the rich to worry about health care for the poor ... you should move to cuba! Smile
TheCaptain

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If a government cannot provide free healthcare for all, what's the point of having a government?

They are not there to be our "leaders", they are OUR servants, and we pay them to do our will and to care for their citizens.

All developed nations have the financial resources to provide basic care for all. Failure to do so is a gross misappropriation of funds.

My compliments,

TheCaptain.
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I am happy to report that we now have health care coverage. We will have to pay for it ourselves but at least we have it. The deductible is low and we also get Rx. Tonight we will be going over the handbook and all that fun stuff so we know what is going on for sure in all areas that concern us.

Now just have to find a new GP.
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope you're able to find a GP soon, Sky. There are many thousands of people in our province without one and it's a terrible situation. Our health care system is similar to the NHS, but still, if you don't have a primary doctor, it's hard to get proper followup.

For everyone else out there....... is this a problem where you live? How difficult is it to get a family GP?
Twirley

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm about to try to locate one that takes my insurance and try to make an appointment for next week. Will let you know how I get on.

BTW, I'm in Charlotte, NC.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using the same surgery since I was a kid - though from between the age of 14 and 30 I think I only went once. The last few years have seen me trek up that hill quite a few times though...
Twirley

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

faceless wrote:
I've been using the same surgery since I was a kid - though from between the age of 14 and 30 I think I only went once. The last few years have seen me trek up that hill quite a few times though...

I think it's called "getting old"....!! shhh

I remember when the doc said that to me once. I looked at her and said, "But I'm only 31...!" Laughing
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

faceless wrote:

Just curious.... when you say using the same surgery, does that mean the same office and you get whatever dr. is there, or has it been the same dr. Just wondering as it works differently here. When a dr. moves or retires, he/she can take her caseload with them. They can choose to hand their caseload over if a new dr. is taking over, but that dr. doesn't have to accept the patients as they may have their own caseload already. So basically, if a dr. leaves, usually the patients are left in the lurch.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Health and Fitness All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: