Doctor Who to get axe in 2008
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
carmelina

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:52 am    Post subject: Doctor Who to get axe in 2008 Reply with quote

HIT show Doctor Who will be EXTERMINATED next year — after the fourth series.

Boss Russell T. Davies has decided to axe the BBC1 sci-fi drama and concentrate on other projects.

He and senior staff have hatched a plot to hand in a group resignation in summer 2008.

A source said: “The heavy workload — nine months of 16-hour days every year — has started to take its toll.

“It was decided the best thing for the show was go out at the top next year.”

Davies was behind the relaunch of Doctor Who in 2005 — 16 years after it was originally axed.

The series, starring David Tennant as the Time Lord, is watched by eight million every Saturday.

King of the Marshes

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dont like the show myself ( i know, kill the heathen) but to axe it seems like an odd idea its a massive international seller for the bbc, but the bbc dont seem to like anything that makes money (life on mars)
maycm
'cheeky banana'

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If true, it's a shame, but The Doctor is sure to come back - even if they do take a prolonged break. They have revived it successfully more than once, and will do again I'm sure.

Having said that, found this...

Quote:
The BBC is playing down speculation that hit series Doctor Who is set to be axed.

A spokeswoman has branded as "idle speculation" rumours that writer Russell T Davies plans to call time on the show after series four.

A newspaper reported that the workload - 16 hours a day for nine months of the year - is taking its toll and that Davies wanted to free up time for other projects.

The spokeswoman added: "The BBC has a longterm commitment to Doctor Who.

"We are a long way away from even thinking about series five when the current series hasn't ended and we have yet to start filming series four."

Neither star David Tennant, or sidekick Freema Agyeman are contracted beyond the next series - which begins filming this month.
Bob

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a big fan, but would be sad to see it go though as it is very popular,and nice bit of cheese Very Happy
Lostinthestates

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny decision to axe a show that is actually successful?!
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can understand them wanting the show to go out on top. I'm not a huge fan, but I do watch here and there. I think it might be a good idea. The Doctor still had a few lives left!
6ULDV8

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As "maycm" posted, it's mere speculation.

From a few forums that I frequent there seemed to be a general census that the report was a "HOAX", R.Davis is not one to mince words & has always been pretty straight forward when it comes to news (not spoilers tho')...
If there was any truth in the report he'd have come forward & said it in public.

Lets also not forget that he has other projects running at the same time, one of which he has said he could hand off to another team so he can concentrate on Dr Who.
Twirley

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

6ULDV8 wrote:
As "maycm" posted, it's mere speculation.

From a few forums that I frequent there seemed to be a general census that the report was a "HOAX", R.Davis is not one to mince words & has always been pretty straight forward when it comes to news (not spoilers tho')...
If there was any truth in the report he'd have come forward & said it in public.

Lets also not forget that he has other projects running at the same time, one of which he has said he could hand off to another team so he can concentrate on Dr Who.

Oh, I hope it doesn't get axed. I absolutely love it. This recent storyline with "The Master" is going to be a good one for sure.

How on earth is The Doctor going to get his TARDIS back??? Did the previous episode give us any clues?

thinking
maycm
'cheeky banana'

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twirley wrote:
How on earth is The Doctor going to get his TARDIS back??? Did the previous episode give us any clues?

thinking

A couple of ideas on this....

Firstly, the Master's Tardis is likely to be around somewhere, problem is, if it's still fully functioning as per the old series, it's chameleon device may mean it looks like a rock or other part of the surroundings, so it could be difficult to find. (The Doctors chameleon device failed leaving it looking like the last thing it was, ie: a police box).

The other thing is of course that The Master AKA Mr Saxon was around at the same time as The Doctor was in "the present", which is why he was searching for the Doctor through Martha's mother, so it may be that The Doctor who battles The Master is a different version to the one stuck at the end of the universe. Nt sure how they'll reconcile that one, but I guess we'll see.
6ULDV8

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maycm wrote:
Twirley wrote:

thinking

Firstly, the Master's Tardis is likely to be around somewhere, problem is, if it's still fully functioning as per the old series, it's chameleon device may mean it looks like a rock or other part of the surroundings, so it could be difficult to find. (The Doctors chameleon device failed leaving it looking like the last thing it was, ie: a police box).

The other thing is of course that The Master AKA Mr Saxon was around at the same time as The Doctor was in "the present", which is why he was searching for the Doctor through Martha's mother, so it may be that The Doctor who battles The Master is a different version to the one stuck at the end of the universe. Nt sure how they'll reconcile that one, but I guess we'll see.

OR....

As we saw the good old sonic screw driver buggered the tardis for a few moments & may have set a 'homing device'...
(Nice out for the writers)

But more essentialy, I think that cpt Jack is the key to the Dr getting back ;)
Twirley

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maycm wrote:
Twirley wrote:

thinking

Wow - you really know your stuff maycm. I must have missed the bit about Mr Saxon - might have to watch that one again. :-)

And yes, I forgot that The Master would have his own Tardis. Doh! Can't wait for this week's episode.

dancer
Twirley

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

6ULDV8 wrote:
maycm wrote:
Twirley wrote:

thinking

OR....

As we saw the good old sonic screw driver buggered the tardis for a few moments & may have set a 'homing device'...
(Nice out for the writers)

But more essentialy, I think that cpt Jack is the key to the Dr getting back ;)

Ooh yeah, Capt Jack....course he'll help.

Drool Drool kiss kiss

(sorry!)
6ULDV8

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

;)
Hidden: 
Don't say I didn't warn ya' or tell ya' like it is / was
Smile
maycm
'cheeky banana'

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, that episode was not quite as good as the previous one - a little odd in places I must say.

I kind of felt like it was treading water and stretching things out a little for the final episode.

I wonder why the Doctor doesn't automatically regenerate having reached a particular age?

BTW '6' ...... what is your source for the download? - you seem to get it awfully quickly....
Twirley

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

6ULDV8 wrote:
;)
Hidden: 
Don't say I didn't warn ya' or tell ya' like it is / was
Smile

Yep, you were right with Capt Jack...way to go.

Can't wait for the final part of this story. Exciting, I must say!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> General TV All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: