EE: Adam Woodyatt interview

View previous topic :: View next topic  
carmelina

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 6:13 pm    Post subject: EE: Adam Woodyatt interview Reply with quote

Veteran EastEnders actor Adam Woodyatt - chippy owner Ian Beale - has been with the BBC soap since it began just over 22 years ago, and it's not until now that he's been involved in the show's most expensive scenes to date.

Earlier this week, we grabbed a quick chat with the only remaining original Walford cast member between his scenes at the Hertfordshire-based Elstree Studios to talk about the stunt, the Ben-Stella-Phil dynamic and what's to come for Albert Square's very own Alan Sugar.

What was it like filming the stunt scenes?

"Fortunately we didn’t have to be in car! It was incredible watching it and it makes you realise how dangerous it is speeding in a car. The only reason the car wasn’t squashed to a pulp was because it had something specially fitted to protect it. It was also amazing to be involved in EastEnders' biggest ever stunt."

Can you talk us through what happens?

"Basically Ian and Phil are arguing (as usual) in the car. Phil isn’t looking at what’s going on in front of him and swerves to avoid a branch in the road. They think everyone’s going to be OK until the car slides into the river. It’s very touch-and-go but you’ll have to watch it to find out what happens…"

What's your take on the whole Stella - Ben storyline?

"She’s scary! Stella definitely isn’t one to be messed with and I really hope she gets her comeuppance quick!"

As Ben’s brother, what do you think Ian would do if he found out?

"He'd tell Phil as Phil will be much better at sorting her out than Ian would."

The Mitchell-Beale feud comes to a head next week – how does that feel?

"It’s been very memorable because of all the stunt work. It’s also the end of an era with Ian and Phil arguing all the time. Although I’m not sure how long it’ll last!"

What’s does it feel like being the only remaining original cast member?

"In a way I’m honoured to be that last original cast member. It’s also quite sad in a way as it means that so many close friends and colleagues have left over the years. Luckily there are still a lot of the crew that also started in 1985 and are still here – some of them are really good friends and we all have a real laugh."

You recently signed a new contract – are you excited by the future storylines you've seen?

"I’ve got two great storylines coming up in summer. I’ve read the basic gist of them and they sound very interesting and very explosive. Unfortunately my lips are sealed..."

How would you feel about the soap going five nights a week?

"I’ve been here from the start so I’ve seen it go from 2-3 nights and then to 3-4. We film so much that we basically shoot as much [to air] five nights [a week] anyway."

Why does EastEnders deserve to win 'Best Soap' at the soap awards?

"Personally, I think we’ve been really strong. It’s difficult for me to judge as I don’t get time to watch other soaps, but I do know the standard and effort that goes on in front and behind the cameras. It’s also been a very tough year for everyone as there have been quite a few deaths in the crew and everyone has been really affected by it. It would be nice to win it for them."

What's been your favourite storyline of the year?

"It’s got to be this one. It started over something so pathetic as a saveloy and you’ve really gotten to see how petty Ian and Phil can be. The fact it ends so dramatically really puts everything into perspective and I think it’s been amazingly played out."

Thanks for chatting to us, Adam!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Soaps All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: