Girls said murdering friend felt right, court told
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mandy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the risk of being politically incorrect, I wish children (and adults) "respect" (or even fear) "someone", e.g. parents / teachers / god etc.

With no external influence telling children what is right and wrong, and threatening punishment (in the present life or afterwards), then we should not be surprised children think they can get away with murder.
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GG_Fan wrote:
At the risk of being politically incorrect, I wish children (and adults) "respect" (or even fear) "someone", e.g. parents / teachers / god etc.

With no external influence telling children what is right and wrong, and threatening punishment (in the present life or afterwards), then we should not be surprised children think they can get away with murder.

The scary thing is there are also children raised in very moral homes where this takes place. Too much structure and morals can cause these types of behaviors as well. Too much of either isn't good.
Mandy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skylace wrote:
The scary thing is there are also children raised in very moral homes where this takes place. Too much structure and morals can cause these types of behaviours as well. Too much of either isn't good.

I agree .. but I fear the environment we are in already veers too much to the "independence" side already where even mild chastisement for children is either illegal, or effectively illegal. I believe this makes kids think they are invincible and can do anything they like, especially when parents are too busy (or don't care) about instilling a moral compass into the children.

There is something to be said for fear of god .. after all, the police aren't around everywhere, but if children believe god sees and knows everything ...
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GG_Fan wrote:
Skylace wrote:
The scary thing is there are also children raised in very moral homes where this takes place. Too much structure and morals can cause these types of behaviors as well. Too much of either isn't good.

I agree .. but I fear the environment we are in already veers too much to the "independence" side already where even mild chistisement for children is either illegal, or effectively illegal. I believe this makes kids think they are invincible and can do anything they like, especially when parents are too busy (or don't care) about instilling a moral compass into the children.

There is something to be said for fear of god .. after all, the police aren't around everywhere, but if children believe god sees and knows everything ...

I don't agree that fear of God or anything for that matter is a good way to control someone or make them stay in line.

I do not have a fear in God or even a fear of the police. Instead I was raised to be responsible.

That is the biggest problem I see with our youth today. Plenty of them are scared or angry but they have no sense of responsibility. Someone else will take care of it or it's someone else's fault.

I even think that by giving kids too many changes in school it causes problems. Like one of the current policies that if a child doesn't turn in their work they don't get a zero for it. Instead they are given multiple chances to turn it in and are even given credit for the work the do turn in.

I think this sends a bad message to kids that they don't need to do the work to get credit. Then when they get older and have to pay bills or work they're going to think they have many chances to do these things.

We need to raise our children to use critical thinking skills and to be responsible and have the ability to admit when they are wrong and rejoice when they are right. Fear in something is not the answer to making someone behave.
Mandy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skylace wrote:
Fear in something is not the answer to making someone behave.

I wish you were right, but I fear human nature is the opposite .. without fear of "something", society would break down.
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GG_Fan wrote:
Skylace wrote:
Fear in something is not the answer to making someone behave.

I wish you were right, but I fear human nature is the opposite .. without fear of "something", society would break down.

There have been plenty of studies done that show fear doesn't work. Just look at death penalty studies. People are afraid of dying, but that doesn't deter them.

Furthermore, just go into a classroom, the best teachers with the most control don't use fear to control the class.

Fear is something we need to have to keep ourselves safe yes, fight or flight, but it isn't good for controlling people in the long run. It actually causes more problems. Just talk to abuse victims.
Mandy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skylace wrote:
There have been plenty of studies done that show fear doesn't work. Just look at death penalty studies. People are afraid of dying, but that doesn't deter them.

Furthermore, just go into a classroom, the best teachers with the most control don't use fear to control the class.

Fear is something we need to have to keep ourselves safe yes, fight or flight, but it isn't good for controlling people in the long run. It actually causes more problems. Just talk to abuse victims.

Since this forum is about what people personally belief, I personally believe we have sent a whole generation of children down the wrong track of morality .. Society has to do something, and I believe it should urgently instill a sense of what is good/bad into the kids, with associated fear if they don't follow it. The proof of the pudding is in the eating, and we have seen what is happenning to society : religious attendance down, crime up ..
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GG_Fan wrote:
Skylace wrote:

Since this forum is about what people personally belief, I personally believe we have sent a whole generation of children down the wrong track of morality .. Society has to do something, and I believe it should urgently instill a sense of what is good/bad into the kids, with associated fear if they don't follow it. The proof of the pudding is in the eating, and we have seen what is happenning to society : religious attendance down, crime up ..

And my personal belief is that you're wrong about the fear.
Oh well, we'll have to agree to disagree.
Mandy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep...
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say that to use fear/intimidation is to pretty much admit defeat.
Mandy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

faceless wrote:
I'd say that to use fear/intimidation is to pretty much admit defeat.

Better to admit defeat, but pull these kids away from a destructive course, than stay the course (reminds me of Bush wanting to stay the course in Iraq, or the Charge of the Light Brigade).
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're supposed to be in charge of the child, so you should be involved in the child's life in such a manner that you'll be able to pre-empt aggression or violence by having a better understanding of him/her in the first place.
Mandy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One way to pre-empt aggression and violence is to have a better understanding of the child, and by making it absolutely clear there will be punishment if they commit evil acts. Hopefully you would never need to actually punish the child .. in which case the warning worked in that it prevented the child committing the evil act. Indeed, if the fear is punishment from God in the after-life, the child won't experience aggression and violence on this earth, though some people fear God would punish them during their life-time.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Children don't commit evil acts very often. If they do then they should be receiving clinical help.
Aja
Reggae Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GG Fan ...what religion are you ?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> News mash All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: