Shooting at WVA tech ...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Canniescot

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree with you there Faceless. One of my brother's is a policeman in England and I thank god that he is not armed! I know it would be a different scenario if he worked in the US.

Let's keep all these families in our prayers over the coming days and weeks - they are going to need them.
IRiSHMaFIA
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canniescot wrote:

Let's keep all these families in our prayers over the coming days and weeks - they are going to need them.

Indeed so Cannie
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IRiSHMaFIA wrote:
Canniescot wrote:

Indeed so Cannie

So very true. I cannot even begin to imagine what they are all going through.
Kezza
Gone To The Dogs!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Living in Virginia, I know a lot of people who attended Virginia Tech. It's not the sort of place where one could imagine such a horrible massacre occurring -- the deadliest in US history.

I visited the campus many times when one of my sisters was a student there. It's in an idyllic location in a small town (Blacksburg) in the mountains. What's even more disturbing is that, years ago, my sister lived in the dormitory (West Ambler Johnston) where the first shooting took place.

So, whilst Virginia is also home to the head office of the National Rifle Association, I'm putting aside my issues with gun control/the gun lobby to focus on the incredible horror that has taken place in my home state.

I have friends/neighbours who have children enrolled at VaTech, and my heart just goes out to them. I was even crying with my postman today -- he happened to come by as I was walking my dogs and I asked him if he'd heard any more news. He told me that his nephew is a student there and that he still didn't know if his nephew was OK. My eyes just welled up with tears -- what can you say?? It's just so f***in senseless.

P.S. Someone mentioned copy-cat killings in a previous post. It's almost 8 years to the day of the shooting at Columbine High School in Colorado (Tuesday, 20 April 1999). But from what I've on the news thus far, the VaTech shooter may have acted in response to a breakup with his girlfriend.
Mandy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the last photo which faceless posted on "Mon Apr 16, 2007 6:57 pm", does the Asian guy look like he was being arrested ?

I fear a back-lash if the shooter turns out to be Asian. Today BBC reports he may be ASIAN :
-------------
"One student, Erin Sheehan, described him as "a little bit under six
feet tall, young looking, Asian, dressed sort of strangely, almost like
a boy scout, very short-sleeved light, tan shirt and some sort of ammo
vest with black over it".

http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/rss/-/1/hi/world/americas/6562259.stm
-------------

FYI, I agree with

Mike Rivero on http://www.whatreallyhappened.com/archives/cat_right_to_bear_arms.html wrote:

Another Virginia Shooting The Media WON'T Remind You about
"We went down, too, and Peter was in the front yard. I stopped at my vehicle and got a handgun, a revolver. Ted went toward Peter, and I aimed my gun at him, and Peter tossed his gun down.
Posted Apr 16, 2007 07:19 PM PST
Category: RIGHT TO BEAR ARMS

Another shooting at a Virginia college was brought to a quick end by another student with a handgun.

The lesson from today is simple.

1. The police cannot protect you. The police were at Virginia Tech following the morning's shooting and still did not prevent the afternoon rampage.

2. Gun bans cannot protect you. There was a gun ban in effect on the Virginia Tech campus. Only the shooter was armed, and he knew his victims were not.

Campus Gun Ban Disarmed Virginia Victims
VA Tech has "blood on its hands" as gun control advocates milk tragic events
The lesson of today's tragedy is simple.

The police cannot protect you.

Gun bans cannot protect you.

Only YOU can protect you.

The taxes the government takes with the promise of being able to protect us are money taken under false pretenses. Far more crimes are thwarted by private citizens with legally owned firearms than by the police. - M. R.

http://www.whatreallyhappened.com/archives/cat_current_events.html

Virginia quashed bill allowing handguns on campuses
Tech spokesman celebrated 2006 defeat because it would help make campus safe

WRONG, IDIOT!
The police could not protect those dead students.
A gun ban could not protect those dead students.
The only thing that could have saved their lives was for a student or teacher carrying a firearm to have been able to defend themselves. The shooter(s) CHOSE the campus because they knew their victims would be unarmed and helpless.
Thanks a lot Virginia Tech; that blood stains your hands. - M. R.

til661 wrote:
Quote:
p.s. Before any poster says this is the fault of lax gun control, the complete opposite might be true

I would love to know what this means, people get shot because gun control is too tight?

YES ... that's exactly what I mean. The victims were disarmed. See Mike Rivero / WRH comments above.

I realise this is not a political thread, but a political dimension to this is that with all the overseas wars, how understaffed are the police and first responders in the US ? I recently read :
http://www.rense.com/general76/ENTIRE.HTM wrote:

Bush Is Mobilizing The ENTIRE National Guard

Remember Rita/Katrina when resources were diverted by Bush for his wars .. instead of beefing up the levees.
IRiSHMaFIA
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh for fuck sake this is making me sick. You're bloody right this is not a political thread. It's about HUMAN LOSS!! DON'T TRY AND TURN IT INTO ONE!

Why do you continually post links then post what the bloody links say? Why don't you give us YOUR OPINION instead of having to present links to back up how YOU FEEL?

Oh and I see you're giving the human race a good bit of credit by suggesting people suffering the loss of their sons, daughters, brothers, sisters and friends are going to put that grieving process aside to go bash some Asians. Get a god damn grip! Be human and feel for these people instead of trying to drum up this negative bollocks you're putting out here. Try saying a prayer (if you pray) for them instead of sitting there digging up as much shite as you possibly can.
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is such a horrible, horrible tragedy. They're saying on the news this morning that the shooter was indeed Asian and was a student from the dormitory where the first shots were fired. I can't even comprehend how difficult this might be for everyone.

I hope the fact that he's Asian won't prompt any hate crimes or the like. All energies need to be focused on the students, staff and families associated with this tragedy. Everyone's talking about the physical injuries that people have incurred..... lets think of the psychological trauma that all involved are going through-- that's likely to last for a good long time after any injuries heal.
Marcella-FL
Don't make me pull this van over!!!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I do not think that the fact that he was Asian on a tech college campus will stir up hate crimes against Asians ... I imagine there is a large Asian population on the campus. Plus we aren't talking about a bunch of yahoos at VT ... these are pretty intelligent kids and families. It's not a community college full of kids putting off growing up ...

from the VT website:

and

The Virginia Tech Police Department has confirmed the identification of the gunman responsible for the multiple fatalities at Norris Hall on the Virginia Tech campus Monday. Ballistics match at both crime scenes.

The individual has been identified as Cho Seung-Hui, 23. Cho was enrolled as an undergraduate student in his senior year as an English major at Virginia Tech. Cho, a South Korean native, was in the U.S. as a resident alien with a residence established in Centerville, Va.
Marcella-FL

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

also - timeline of events from the VT site:

http://www.vt.edu/tragedy/timeline.php
vegas
Diamond Geezer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Virginia Tech Police Department has confirmed the identification of the gunman responsible for the multiple fatalities at Norris Hall on the Virginia Tech campus Monday. Ballistics match at both crime scenes.

The individual has been identified as Cho Seung-Hui, 23. Cho was enrolled as an undergraduate student in his senior year as an English major at Virginia Tech. Cho, a South Korean native, was in the U.S. as a resident alien with a residence established in Centerville, Va.

Classes are canceled for the remainder of the week to allow students to mourn and begin healing. Campus will reopen Wednesday for administrative operations.

Norris Hall has been closed for the remainder of the semester.
Marcella-FL

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow ... the echo in here sounds like VEGAS!

this kid in this video really impressed me. He seemed so calm and composed but then at the end he is so human ...

http://www.cnn.com/video/player/player.html?url=/video/us/2007/04/17/chetry.eye.witness.wdbj
IRiSHMaFIA
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marcella-FL wrote:
wow ... the echo in here sounds like VEGAS!

this kid in this video really impressed me. He seemed so calm and composed but then at the end he is so human ...

http://www.cnn.com/video/player/player.html?url=/video/us/2007/04/17/chetry.eye.witness.wdbj

He really impressed me as well. I was surprised he held it together as well as he did during the interview, and you're right....at the end so human.
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is actually the worst school shooting in the United States. However it is not the worst attack on a school ever.
In 1927 45 people were killed and 58 injured in Bath, Michigan. Mostly young children were killed when Andrew Kehoe set off explosives at the school.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So here's the picture of the guy
IRiSHMaFIA
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

faceless wrote:
So here's the picture of the guy

He's so bloody young and it just puzzles me how a person could get into such a dark place in their mind to want to inflict so much horror like he's done. Imagine the hell his parents are going through on so many levels......the loss of their own son and perhaps the guilt of what he's done as well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> News mash All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 3 of 11

Jump to: