Shooting at WVA tech ...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marcella-FL
Don't make me pull this van over!!!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the news report I heard said the authorities believe the shooter had 2 9mms and extra ammo.

There were bomb threats at the school last week ... I wonder what was going on with that ...
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marcella-FL wrote:
the news report I heard said the authorities believe the shooter had 2 9mms and extra ammo.

There were bomb threats at the school last week ... I wonder what was going on with that ...

I had read that as well and have been wondering the same thing. I am sure we will get even more information as the day unfolds.
Marcella-FL

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

til661 wrote:
The point is that there is no evidence to suggest that these issues are 40x more prevalent in the US. There are plenty of people in Western Europe with the same problems but there aren't 8000+ people shot every year

But what's the flat out homicide rate in the UK compared to the USA homicide rate? and how does that rate compare to the population differences of the two countries? the USA has approx. 300 million vs UK's 61 million ...

I think it is obvious that it is an issue with more than gun control OR mental health as the main instigating factor ...
til661

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

United Kingdom: 0.0140633 per 1,000 people

United States: 0.042802 per 1,000 people

overall homicide rate. 2 1/2 times more than any other first-world country. except finland for some reason

Finland: 0.0283362 per 1,000 people, no idea what's going on up there.

Firearms deaths per capita are approx 20 times higher in the US than anywhere in europe.
IRiSHMaFIA
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skylace wrote:
vegas wrote:
How many shootings will it take before they ban the sale of guns?

I'm sorry but banning the sale of guns isn't the answer. People will still get them if they want to whether it's legal or illegally.

My questions would be how many times does this have to happen that we don't start paying attention to people with strange behavior or sudden changes in personality? When will be start noticing children with odd behavior and take precautions instead of ignorning them? When will make sure those people with dangerous mental illness are medicated whether they want to or not?

Not all shootings have links that are warning signs but a lot of these big ones do.

I agree with you 100% here Skylace. Banning the sale of guns isn't going to do bugger all as people can get their hands on them easily enough on any street corner pretty much.

I don't agree with weapons period being honest as I hate hunters and see them as one of the lowest forms of life. Sorry if there are hunters here but to call the killing of a living, breathing creature in the name of sport is barbaric to me.

The people doing these types of attacks on innocent people indeed have deep seeded mental problems and unfortunately not always easy to read. Some people become reclusive and it makes it impossible to really know where their heads are at, whilst others can act entirely normal and go out and do something like this.
Mandy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wrote in on the GG thread (before I realised the thread was here) :

This is v. sad.

I hope Bush & co don't use / abuse this to advance their agenda.

p.s. Before any poster says this is the fault of lax gun control, the complete opposite might be true.

Note, I read that there was some racist graffiti problem at the university recently. Anyway, way too early to speculate on who the shooter was and motive.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I went off the deep end tonight I'd not be able to shoot anyone as the people who might have guns wouldn't give one to someone who was mental as the trail would be followed so closely.
Mandy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

faceless wrote:
If I went off the deep end tonight I'd not be able to shoot anyone as the people who might have guns wouldn't give one to someone who was mental as the trail would be followed so closely.

If you had the cash, and knew where to go, you can get anything.

If prior shootings were a sign, the people who do these murders plan well ahead and even practice.

Either the University should have more armed guards, or the students should be allowed to carry weapons for protection. I know this view has very little support on this forum .. but to me it seems the only way. We have to protect the vulnerable, or else give the vulnerable the means to protect themselves.

p.s. In the mad world of the people crazy enough to do this, there could be a copy/cat element in future.
IRiSHMaFIA
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GG_Fan wrote:
I wrote in on the GG thread (before I realised the thread was here) :

This is v. sad.

I hope Bush & co don't use / abuse this to advance their agenda.

p.s. Before any poster says this is the fault of lax gun control, the complete opposite might be true.

Note, I read that there was some racist graffiti problem at the university recently. Anyway, way too early to speculate on who the shooter was and motive.

I really don't think this is the thread to start talking politics along with this tragedy. We're looking at it in more human terms and not how Bush or anyone else will use or not this for any agenda. Not EVERYTHING has to be politically attached.

Quote:

Did you read any of the posts before yours?

*edit*

very poorly worded on my part because I was pissed off seeing the name Bush added into this. Hope anyone reading it understood what I meant.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GG_Fan wrote:
faceless wrote:

If you had the cash, and knew where to go, you can get anything.

yes, that may be true if you weren't foaming at the mouth with an insane glint in your eye that spelt trouble for the person selling you what you want.
til661

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not even true up to that point. 90% of the UK population wouldn't know where to buy a gun, who to ask, anything. Neither I nor anybody I know has seen a gun in their lives. Maybe if i was a gangster i might but the vast majority of people aren't gangsters so wouldn't have access to that world. Hence the fact that they are legally available to buy leads to an increase in the number of gun deaths, it is beyond obvious. The more there are floating about, the more chance that they will be used.

Quote:
p.s. Before any poster says this is the fault of lax gun control, the complete opposite might be true

I would love to know what this means, people get shot because gun control is too tight?
IRiSHMaFIA
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

til661 wrote:
It's not even true up to that point. 90% of the UK population wouldn't know where to buy a gun, who to ask, anything. Neither I nor anybody I know has seen a gun in their lives. Maybe if i was a gangster i might but the vast majority of people aren't gangsters so wouldn't have access to that world. Hence the fact that they are legally available to buy leads to an increase in the number of gun deaths, it is beyond obvious. The more there are floating about, the more chance that they will be used.

Quote:
p.s. Before any poster says this is the fault of lax gun control, the complete opposite might be true

I would love to know what this means, people get shot because gun control is too tight?

I don't believe you're correct on 90% of the population in the UK not knowing where to buy a gun. I could get one within 30 minutes if I was back home. I've also seen quite a few people with guns in my lifetime....more than I care to remember.

You should read the comments about the quote above. The poster didn't read the discussion that already started on the same topic. Read the different opinions and perhaps add to it?
janbo1960

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see 2 issues - one being a lack of gun control and the second being a lack of humanity.

I dont like Mondays either - I just dont go out on a shooting spree BUT even if I did it shouldn't be easy to get hold of guns and that amount of ammunition.

My sympathy go out to the families of those involved.
Marcella-FL

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

til661 wrote:
United Kingdom: 0.0140633 per 1,000 people

United States: 0.042802 per 1,000 people

overall homicide rate. 2 1/2 times more than any other first-world country. except finland for some reason

Finland: 0.0283362 per 1,000 people, no idea what's going on up there.

Firearms deaths per capita are approx 20 times higher in the US than anywhere in europe.

Thanks for the stats ... I guess my point is that although the USA surpasses all other countries for gun crimes , if someone is pissed off enough they can figure out a way to kill someone be it illegal guns, pint glass or bare hands ...
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My town is Europe's murder capital - all thanks to the humble kitchen knife. I'm sure there would be a lot more if guns were readily available, but they're simply not.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> News mash All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 2 of 11

Jump to: