EE: Sign on the Dotted line- June Brown agrees to a new deal
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
carmelina

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:12 am    Post subject: EE: Sign on the Dotted line- June Brown agrees to a new deal Reply with quote

April 10, 2007

EASTENDERS veteran June Brown WILL play Dot Cotton for another year — after agreeing a new £370,000 contract.

The deal is a huge relief for bosses, who faced losing her in a row over storylines months after big stars like Wendy Richard and Natalie Cassidy quit.

TV Biz revealed in February that June was threatening to leave over scenes which see Dot find a refugee baby abandoned in a church.

But the star has now been talked round and will sign on the Dot-ted line within days.

Last night a BBC insider said: “June is a fundamental part of the soap but she’s 80 and won’t want to work forever. It’s a huge bonus and a relief that she’s agreed to play Dot a little longer. Apart from a break in the 1990s, June has been with us since the show began back in 1985 — and life without her would be unimaginable.

“June may not always agree with her storylines, but she loves the character of Dot and wants to keep playing her. We are thrilled and will carry on finding the best plots and scripts to keep her happy.”

* TV Biz can also reveal that June’s next storylines will involve her attempting to give up the fags when England’s smoking ban comes into force on July 1.

The chain-smoking pensioner will try to stub it out after she is told she can no longer light up in the Queen Vic or the launderette where she works.

BBC chiefs are now fighting for the right to smoke on set so characters can still be seen with cigs in their own homes.

An insider said: “Dot won’t give up for good. That just wouldn’t be realistic.”

* SIMON Fuller is planning a US version of EastEnders, it was claimed yesterday.

The Pop Idol creator, 46, has reportedly signed up to produce the show for telly network Fox.

Albert Square will be moved to gritty, working-class Philadelphia for a 30-minute pilot called Born In The USA. American Idol finalist Lisa Tucker has landed a starring role.

admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Born in the USA? OH christ - more jingoistic bullshit
Twirley

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

faceless wrote:

Mmmm...not sure it'll work. Gritty Philly is a bit rough and quite different to the East End of London.

thinking

But, we'll see...!
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twirley wrote:
faceless wrote:

Mmmm...not sure it'll work. Gritty Philly is a bit rough and quite different to the East End of London.

thinking

But, we'll see...!

I heard this rumor about six months back and I have a bad feeling it's not going to work.
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skylace wrote:
Twirley wrote:
faceless wrote:

thinking

But, we'll see...!

I heard this rumor about six months back and I have a bad feeling it's not going to work.

That was my first thought as well..... but then I rarely like a "remake" of anything... or at the very least, I tend to like the version I see first.
tasst

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great, one of the best actors left in the show.
Marcella-FL
Don't make me pull this van over!!!

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no idea she was that old ... I think the remake is a horrible idea
pirtybirdy
'Native New Yorker'

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remakes usually suck. I heard they got lucky with the office remake, but I never watched the American version. That's because I've always been disappointed with the remakes.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Office (US) is just brilliant. I've watched every episode and can't fault it in the slightest.
Twirley

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

faceless wrote:
The Office (US) is just brilliant. I've watched every episode and can't fault it in the slightest.

I've got to say you're right. I love The (US) Office. Steve Carell does a wonderful job, in quite a different way to Ricky Gervais but just as good. And I love the other characters too, esp Jim...he's a great character.

thumbs

So if it's handled correctly, maybe they could make this remake of EE work.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing that gets me about a remake is the Queen Vic. I just can't see a soap opera in America basing so much of the action in a pub. The power of alcohol has been so important in many fights/incidents that it would be hard to leave it out and keep any similarity.
cori

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't realize June was 80, considering her age she looks damn good! Cannot visualize this as a USA remake as Face stated so much of the goings on are focused on the Queen Vic and this does not exist in the USA as a meeting place, they'd probaly have to focus on a bowling alley, gym or bingo parlor???
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cori wrote:
Didn't realize June was 80, considering her age she looks damn good! Cannot visualize this as a USA remake as Face stated so much of the goings on are focused on the Queen Vic and this does not exist in the USA as a meeting place, they'd probaly have to focus on a bowling alley, gym or bingo parlor???

Um, you seem to be forgetting a popular show in the US called Cheers that it centered around a pub/bar. There are places like that in the states where a lot of action does happen at and people go to locals. However, that's not universal. I do find it a bit insulting that you mention bowling alley, gym or bingo parlor. I'm sure you're joking, but come on.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The point I was aiming at was that it's a show which is aimed at the 7:30/8:00 pm slot and I can't imagine for a minute that the american networks (influenced by those small-minded "right-thinkers" who have so much power) would allow anything like what goes on in Albert Square at that time-slot. "Cheers" was on after 9pm here, which I'm guessing it was there too.
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

faceless wrote:
The point I was aiming at was that it's a show which is aimed at the 7:30/8:00 pm slot and I can't imagine for a minute that the american networks (influenced by those small-minded "right-thinkers" who have so much power) would allow anything like what goes on in Albert Square at that time-slot. "Cheers" was on after 9pm here, which I'm guessing it was there too.

Cheers was on at around 7 or 8 as I remember. I remember this because it was on before my bedtime as a kid. It was watched it with my parents as did most of the kids I grew up with.

I wouldn't see why it would be put later as CSI: Miami, House, L.A. Law and lots of others shows are on before 9 over here depending on the time zone.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Soaps All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: