Call That Humiliation?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
major.tom
Macho Business Donkey Wrestler

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 7:08 am    Post subject: Call That Humiliation? Reply with quote

eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I certainly agree that the US has done some horrible things to their prisoners, of that there's no doubt. But I think this article almost makes it seem like it's ok for Iran to have kidnapped these individuals - which obviously it isn't. They might look like they're being treated decently now, but give it time..... until they're either killed or until they're released and we hear the entire story.
nekokate

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read that whole article before it sunk in that it was written by the Terry Jones. Now I get the sarcasm!

There's a definite "them and us" hypocricy in most mainstream news reports over this situation and I pretty much agree with the point he's making here.

eefanincan wrote:
...this article almost makes it seem like it's ok for Iran to have kidnapped these individuals...

I'm not sure it does. The very first two sentences in his article are "I share the outrage expressed in the British press over the treatment of our naval personnel accused by Iran of illegally entering their waters. It is a disgrace." He's just pointing out the blatant hypocricy, isn't he?

Also, are they really "kidnapped"? Or are they just detained "under arrest"? One thing I've noticed in most of the news coverage is a lot of very emotive words are being tossed around, like "kidnap" and "hostages", even when in the same articles it is admitted that we really don't yet know fully what the situation is. I'd like to toss the word "propaganda" into the ring ;)
luke

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good article major, beat me to it ;) the media coverage has been completely crap

seems they are following this ...

Quote:
Memo to Media: Rules for covering Iran

Note to All Editors.

Please ensure that journalists stick to following guidelines for reporting covering any relations with the Islamic Republic of Iran:

* Any Iranians captives held by our side must be described as 'detainees' or 'terrorists'.

* Any members of western forces captured by Iran must always be described as 'hostages' or 'captives'. The events are to be described as a HOSTAGE CRISIS.

* Western hostages should always be described as being PARADED even if they are sitting down and eating dinner or reading scripts.

* There should be a clear implication that the hostages are being forced to do nasty foreign type things like making confessions against their will.

* In the event of any western sponsored UN statements, this must be described as an official UN resolution requiring immediate action under threat of force.

* Sufficient coverage must be given to PUBLIC OUTRAGE and ministerial level condemnation. Due consideration must be given to official British or American pronouncements and to published to official boundaries and GPS coordinates that provide supporting evidence for our case.

* Inconvenient facts such as torture and detention of Iranian detainees should NOT be included in order to provide context during this crucial period. This could confuse the public leading to sympathy for the Iranians.

* 'Iranian supply of 'sophisticated IEDs' to insurgents', 'NUCLEAR WEAPONS PROGRAMME' and 'interference in government matters' should be used for context. The word 'alleged' should not accompany 'nuclear weapons programme' as it only sows confusion in the public mind.

* Iran must be described as a 'dictatorship', as a 'theocracy' and a 'sponsor of terrorism' in each and every report.

* Accompanying graphics should show Iranians to be sinister and threatening and Western forces as suitably heroic and/or suffering from maltreatment.

sad but true Sad
major.tom
Macho Business Donkey Wrestler

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've read a few articles by Terry Jones and enjoy the way he makes his point. I agree that the 15 British should be released immediately and unharmed. But let's not feign shock and horror at their (apparent) treatment when the torture cells at Gitmo (and god knows where else) are still in business.

Human rights are universal but they seem to be only selectively applied by our media and "leaders."
nico

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I completely agree with Terry Jones's article, pointing out the mere hypocricy, and how the media are so demonizing the behaviour of the captors.This is by far any comparisson to what the British and the US have done in Iraq. The British should not be in the Persian gulf in the first place anyway.
Let's just hope this will be diplomatically resolved.
luke

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you couldn't make it up ...

Quote:
Blair’s Britain Beyond Parody

A few days ago, Terry Jones of Monty Python fame penned a funny and insightful piece about the UK-Iran “crisis.” It began as follows:

I share the outrage expressed in the British press over the treatment of our naval personnel accused by Iran of illegally entering their waters. It is a disgrace. We would never dream of treating captives like this - allowing them to smoke cigarettes, for example, even though it has been proven that smoking kills.

The same day Jones’ piece appeared in the Guardian, the following appeared in the UK’s Telegraph:

“It was deplorable,” pronounced our tight-lipped Health Secretary, “that the woman hostage should be shown smoking. This sends completely the wrong message to our young people.”

Telegraph link via LRC.

http://www.antiwar.com/blog/2007/04/04/blairs-britain-beyond-parody/
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the irony hurts my brain!
maycm
'cheeky banana'

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

faceless wrote:

In which case you should put your shirty on the boardy.
IRiSHMaFIA
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maycm wrote:
faceless wrote:

In which case you should put your shirty on the boardy.

wow
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

awn
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> News mash All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: