Did you know that ........

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nico

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:15 am    Post subject: Did you know that ........ Reply with quote

Now that Iran has been the center of attention for the past 2 weeks I thought it to be usefull and an education to remind you of the pioneers of the human right doctrin.

Cyrus was the first Achaemenian Emperor of Persia, who issued a decree on his aims and policies, later hailed as his charter of the rights of nations. Inscribed on a clay cylinder ( shown above ), this is known to be the first declaration of Human Rights, and is now kept at the British Museum. A replica of this is also at the United Nations in New York.

This is a replica of a Bas-Relief found in Pasargade, the capital city of Persia founded by Cyrus. It depicts Cyrus the Great ( 580-529 BC).
The Bas-relief shown here symbolizes Multiculturalism, a word coined to express the coexistence and peaceful cohabitation of peoples from different background and culture in one land. A doctrine which is the foundation of advanced societies which was also Cyrus's Claim to fame.

As some of you might have noticed I have recently changed my avatar to the Bas-relief shown above, since I completely stand for multiculturalism.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice one Nico - I was wondering who that was in your avatar and I'd not heard of the guy before. Of course, we should still just bomb Iran "back to the stone age" because Bush and Blair are always right (even when they're wrong) and we must obey them at all costs.
girldorksrule
Arrrrrrr...scurvy!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting.
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I taught this for years. One of the things I miss about teaching is being able to go over this stuff all the time.

I also just love looking at anything done in cuneiform.

However, I always found the Code of Hammurabi much more interesting.
IRiSHMaFIA
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fascinating. Thanks for that nico.
maycm
'cheeky banana'

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superb - that cylinder is something else.

Quite incredible to think something such as this from so long ago can be admired and appreciated as a legacy of a culture long gone.

Makes you think what our culture will be leaving behind for future generations to 'marvel' at.....
luke

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maycm wrote:
Makes you think what our culture will be leaving behind for future generations to 'marvel' at.....

rubbish, millions of tons of rubbish, buried under the ground. and nuclear waste. angry
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luke wrote:
maycm wrote:

rubbish, millions of tons of rubbish, buried under the ground. and nuclear waste. angry

Yes and no. We find terrible stuff and trash and waste from other cultures over the centuries. Granted I know we have it on a larger scale but we will have great things to leave behind too.
nico

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think despite all the pr against Iran and earlier on Iraq, one gets the temptation and the curiosity to learn more about that part of earth, as I did.

I am getting more and more fascinated about Iran and Mesapotamia in general.
I recently discovered a book by Gore Vidal titeled "Creation" . It's an amazing story of the grandson of Zoroaster who travels the world in the service of Persian kings and plays with the ideas of Confucius, Gautama Buddha, Anaxagoras and other thinkers. It's definately worth reading.
Now I know why Persians are so proud of their history as the Greeks are.
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nico wrote:
I think despite all the pr against Iran and earlier on Iraq, one gets the temptation and the curiosity to learn more about that part of earth, as I did.

I am getting more and more fascinated about Iran and Mesapotamia in general.
I recently discovered a book by Gore Vidal titeled "Creation" . It's an amazing story of the grandson of Zoroaster who travels the world in the service of Persian kings and plays with the ideas of Confucius, Gautama Buddha, Anaxagoras and other thinkers. It's definately worth reading.
Now I know why Persians are so proud of their history as the Greeks are.

Mesopotamia is one of my favorite areas of ancient history. I've studied it for years and my students were always so excited to learn about it. If you have not read the Hammurabi I suggest you do! thumbs
nico

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I will
luke

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skylace wrote:
Yes and no. We find terrible stuff and trash and waste from other cultures over the centuries. Granted I know we have it on a larger scale but we will have great things to leave behind too.

sorry i was being a bit negative, i think i need to read some happy news for a change Smile
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luke wrote:
Skylace wrote:

sorry i was being a bit negative, i think i need to read some happy news for a change Smile

It never hurts to! Razz Smile
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

luke wrote:

Click here for some Happy News

Some interesting stuff, nico.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> News mash All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: