EE: Wendy blasts Eastenders writers

View previous topic :: View next topic  
carmelina

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 8:02 pm    Post subject: EE: Wendy blasts Eastenders writers Reply with quote

WENDY Richard is angry with EastEnders bosses — because they broke a promise on character Pauline’s exit.

She accused them of double-crossing her after turning the Albert Square moaner into a bitch.

And she argued writers should NOT have killed her off.

Wendy, 63, said: “I did say, promise me you won’t make Pauline nasty before she goes, and unfortunately they did.

“I wasn’t too happy with the way it was done. They were changing Pauline’s character.

“I was distressed the way things were going, because Pauline would never have remarried. She would have remained a widow, sitting in that chair in the corner.

“That’s what (show creator) Julia Smith wanted, and that’s what I felt was right, so I resigned.”

Pauline meets a grisly end on Christmas Day when she is seen staggering across Albert Square before dropping dead.

She suffers a major brain haemorrhage — only moments after viewers see daughter-in-law Sonia (Natalie Cassidy) lash out at her.

Sonia becomes the key suspect in a dramatic murder mystery storyline.

But Wendy wanted a different ending. She said she would have preferred Pauline and her pet dog Betty to have gone to live with her daughter Michelle in Florida.

She added: “They have Cairn terriers in Florida, so I know they’re all right there. Then if they wished, she could have died off-screen.”

She said another regret was that with her on-screen son Martin (James Alexandrou) and Sonia all leaving there would be no more Fowlers in the Square. She said: “I think it’s a shame because the Fowlers have gone completely now.

“There was so much history with that family that Martin and Sonia had to go as well.

“It would have been nice just for once to see a happy family in the Square, a young couple with their little girl. Pauline might even have left Betty behind for Rebecca.”

Wendy’s comments come in a interview with Gloria Hunniford on the Biography Channel at 9pm on Boxing Day.

-------------------------------------------------------
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They really were turning her into a bitch, weren't they. I rather suspected that she wouldn't like that, so it's interesting to hear that she didn't. It'll be interesting though to see how it all turns out.
misslisalynn

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They only got rid of her because she quit. It would be unreasonable for me to quit my job but expect them to let me pick my replacement, especially if I was a dissatisfied employee.
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be nice to see one happy couple!
cori

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess the closest we're going to see as a happy couple are Jim & Dot, and they've had teir moments, at least they're not shagging their neighbors
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cori wrote:
I guess the closest we're going to see as a happy couple are Jim & Dot, and they've had teir moments, at least they're not shagging their neighbors

That's my thing. They really are the only ones. I am at least happy they had Ian and Jane stay together instead of doing another Ian bust up.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Soaps All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: