Santa kidnaps 8-yr old

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Annual celebrations
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 5:52 pm    Post subject: Santa kidnaps 8-yr old Reply with quote

COLUMBIA, S.C. - A man charged with kidnapping an 8-year-old girl said he was in "Santa mode" and apologized for his behavior at a Monday afternoon bail hearing.

Portly, with blue eyes, white hair and a full white beard, John Michael Barton, 55, was wearing a Santa suit when he took off on his Triumph motorcycle from a gas station Sunday night with the 8-year-old girl, police said. The girl was in the sidecar - next to a large Rudolph toy.

On Monday, Barton, of Batesburg-Leesville, told Judge Brian Jeffcoat he was trying to do something non-commercial during the holiday season and have some fun.

"I'm so very sorry about this whole thing," Barton told the judge during the bail hearing.

After the hearing, the girl's father, Tripp Morris, said, "I'm not sure what his intentions were. I know he took my daughter without my permission and left."

Morris, his wife, Venus, and their three daughters, ages 5, 6 and 8, were stopped at a Circle K gas station about 8 p.m. when Barton pulled up. It was the 5-year-old's birthday and the family was in town from Augusta, Ga., visiting family in Florence, S.C.

Morris said Barton asked the girls to walk over to his motorcycle so they could see the stuffed Rudolph toy.

Then, Morris said, "I heard the motorcycle engine, and about three seconds later, I heard my wife say, Tripp, go get him! He's got our daughter!' "

Morris said he hit speeds of 80 mph as he chased Barton in his car. He said he was worried that his daughter wasn't wearing a helmet.

Morris said she had asked Barton to stop because she was scared.

The pursuit ended about a mile later in a church parking lot.

Morris told Barton he wanted his daughter back. He told reporters he could smell alcohol on Barton.

Barton was arrested at a bar in Richland County about 10 p.m., according to Lexington County Sheriff James R. Metts. His red-and-white Santa hat and a glass of wine were sitting on the bar counter and he was found hiding in a utility room.

Metts said Barton has been playing Santa for friends for several weeks at various locations in Lexington County and, while dressed as Santa, has taken other children - with their parents' permission - for rides on his motorcycle.

Barton was arrested and charged with driving under the influence in 1998, according to state law enforcement records. He paid a $437 fine.

Jeffcoat set Barton's bail at $100,000
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a life, buddy! You just can't be taking kids for a ride without their parents permission. I imagine they were pretty scared for awhile.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Annual celebrations All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: