EE: James Alexandrou interview

View previous topic :: View next topic  
carmelina

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 10:17 am    Post subject: EE: James Alexandrou interview Reply with quote

from Digital Spy

James Alexandrou

Friday, December 15 2006, 18:06 GMT
By Kris Green, Soaps Editor

Albert Square will never be the same again from Christmas Day after the much-anticipated death of Pauline Fowler (Wendy Richard).

But there's still a lot to come and, earlier this week, we saw Joe (Ray Brooks) rumble Pauline's "brain tumour", forcing her to reveal all to son Martin (James Alexandrou). Her closest friends and family cannot believe she could stoop so low.

When the community comes together in a bid to raise money to help Pauline live life to the full before she "dies", Martin finds it difficult to live with the lie. Next week he is forced to confess to Peggy (Barbara Windsor) that his mother's brain tumour was all a charade to prevent him being with Sonia.

James Alexandrou - the man behind the aggrieved son - chats to DS about the departure of his second mum, his memorable moments with her, what the future holds for Martin and also teases about his exit storyline in the spring.

What was your first reaction when you found out Wendy was leaving the show?

"I was shocked, first of all, very saddened, as I think many people were. I knew at that point I was leaving myself, so it wasn't going to be a big change for me work-wise, but as a fan of the show watching the show, it would leave a big hole. It was very, very shocking, I didn't think she was going to leave ever, she'd be there time immemorial."

Do you think this Christmas storyline is a fitting memorial for her?

"Yes, in that it's afforded so much screentime for Wendy and everyone around her in the storylines. It's massive, there's loads of stuff, it's going to pull everyone's heartstrings. I don't think anyone's going to decide how they feel about Pauline until the very last minute, and beyond that as well, her dying, no one knows how to feel about her. No one's going to know exactly how she's feeling at the end and afterwards."

One of Wendy's reasons for leaving is that she didn't think Pauline should have remarried. What's your take on this?

"I don't know if that was originally one of the reasons. For Wendy as a traditionalist and a purist of the show, she felt that Pauline should have stayed a widower. I thought it afforded good storylines for her. Ray Brooks is a seasoned actor, and I don't see any problem with that."

You recently shot Pauline's funeral. What were those scenes like?

"It was over a few days. A real funeral lasts for a few hours, we had to be there for four days, so it was quite grueling and hard."

What's it been like working with Wendy as your second mum all these years?

"It's been wonderful, I've learnt so much from Wendy, mostly how to be an acting professional, how to conduct yourself, how to work, and it's been amazing, she's an absolute legend. I was 11 years old when I came into the show, and I had no idea of what a star she was, from Are You Being Served and everything she's done in the past. I've now grown up and realised, I just feel totally blessed to have worked with her."

Any standout moments on set that you'll remember?

"When we filmed our last scene together, that was pretty hard, and that stands out really. I walked in and Martin and Pauline had a discussion - Martin wants to leave, he's not having a good time, so it's quite hard to play that. It stands out for me, because I realised at that point what I was losing with Wendy going."

Do you stay in touch?

"Yeah, she's been gone now three or four weeks, and we've had the odd text message and phone call. I did a little piece for a documentary they're doing about Wendy, so yeah, I see her now and then."

Focusing on Martin, now his mum's gone, most of the Fowlers have gone, where does Martin go from here?

"Martin's struggling so much with his mum's death that he doesn't really know, he's all over the place, he doesn't know where he's heading, who he should be heading with, or anything really, but I think long-term he hopes to get his life stable again, and have a family set up, I think Martin's a family man, and would like to settle down and have that life."

Do you think the Fowler legacy will live on in the Square?

"After Christmas, all the Fowlers will be gone from the Square. But I think they'll always be remembered, and who knows, there might be some mystery Fowlers arriving next year, who knows!"

Do you think from your own perspective that Sonia's the right woman for Martin?

"They've got a history, haven't they? They love each other, whether they totally complement each other is another matter. I'd like to think so."

I believe it was Natalie Cassidy's final day of filming at the beginning of December. What was the mood like on set?

"It was pretty much both of our last day of filming. It was Natalie's last day on the Friday, and the day after was mine. When we were filming earlier, actually, and we were both quite giddy, we've been in the show since we were kids so we're really excited that we're going, as far as career goes we're quite excited and giddy and playful. It's mad, really, I kept telling Natalie 'try not to think about it', but it was a week away."

Can you tell us any teasers about Martin and Sonia's exit storyline - do they leave together?

"I can't tell you much about the storyline, as you probably know, but if you put two and two together, we're both leaving the show at the same time, are they leaving together - who knows? I know, but I'm not telling."

-----------------------------------------------------
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can hardly believe that this storyline will be ending so soon! Thanks for posting the interview.
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for putting this up. I am also in shock that it is going to be Pauline's last days. Hard to believe really.
Twirley

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent read, Carmelina.

Thanks for taking the time to do this. I'm really looking forward to the Christmas episodes after reading this teaser.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Soaps All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: