Serial killer in Suffolk?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RIPPER HUNT: THE SUSPECT
Interview By Michael Duffy, Sunday Mirror

A PRIME SUSPECT in the Ipswich Ripper killings can today be revealed as supermarket worker Tom Stephens, who has been questioned FOUR TIMES by police. The Sunday Mirror tracked down the 37-year-old loner and he chillingly confessed between sobs: "I am a friend of all the girls, ...but I don't have any alibis." Sobbing uncontrollably, recently-divorced Stephens, 37, says he became the girls' "protector" and would have had "complete opportunity" to carry out the crime as "the girls trusted me so much".

He also admits he could be arrested in connection with their murders as he fits the profile of the Ipswich Ripper but strenuously denies any involvement. Well-spoken Stephens said he has been questioned under caution by cops hunting the killer and had his home and car searched by forensic teams. Yesterday Suffolk police sources confirmed to the Sunday Mirror that Stephens was a suspect in the murders of Tania Nichol, 19, Gemma Adams, 25, Annette Nicholls, 29, Anneli Alderton, 24, and Paula Clennell, 24.

During an emotional interview with our reporter, he said: "I'm a friend of all the girls. I was closest to Tania. And Gemma as well. I was close to others as well. But I should have been there to watch over them." He also said: "I don't have alibis for some of the times - actually I'm not entirely sure I have tight alibis for any of the times. But I'm not worried about being charged - I'm innocent." Stephens turned to the street-walking prostitutes of Ipswich 18 months ago after his eight-year marriage collapsed. He grew close to all of the area's prostitutes but was especially devoted to Tania, who was the first to be murdered. He said he was the "nearest thing to a boyfriend" she had. He said he was also close to Gemma, who went missing at the same time as Tania.

And he said that the killer had picked off the five "prettiest" prostitutes in Ipswich. He said: "Gemma and Tania, the ones I was closest to are the best looking girls who do this in Ipswich. In fact, they were probably the top five. Over time I have been involved with most of the girls. If you count, there are about 50 over the last year." And he added: "From the police profiling it does look like me - white male between 25 and 40, knows the area, works strange hours. The bodies have got close to my house. If new information, coincidental information, crops up, I could get arrested. I know I am innocent and I am completely confident it won't go as far as me being charged."

Stephens said he was quizzed by cops once in a car and three times at Ipswich police stations. The first interview was just days after Tania was reported missing on October 30. The second interview was conducted under caution and recorded, he claims. Stephens lives alone on a new estate near Felixstowe, two miles from where the bodies of Paula and Annette were found and has been suspended from his supermarket job. He poured out his heart in the passenger seat of Sunday Mirror reporter Michael Duffy's car in a pub car park near his home.

Click HERE to listen to the interview.

-----------------

That does sound fairly convincing, but I just hope they've not got the wrong guy.
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder, have they made him take a lie detector test ? I'm not a big believer in those things, but perhaps in this situation it might be a good idea.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure whether they'd use a lie-detector, but for the newspaper to have printed this story I reckon they must have checked it with their lawyers. Thing is, it wouldn't be too unlikely that some kind of revenge attack could happen on him and if he's not the guy, that could be quite a situation.
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

faceless wrote:
I'm not sure whether they'd use a lie-detector, but for the newspaper to have printed this story I reckon they must have checked it with their lawyers. Thing is, it wouldn't be too unlikely that some kind of revenge attack could happen on him and if he's not the guy, that could be quite a situation.

True. Sadly though, finding the killer still won't bring these ladies back.
6ULDV8

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if it's him, but BBC world news said they have got a guy & charged him with all 5...
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

6ULDV8 wrote:
Not sure if it's him, but BBC world news said they have got a guy & charged him with all 5...

turns out it is him... that's good they've got him
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

faceless wrote:
6ULDV8 wrote:

turns out it is him... that's good they've got him

I am sure that everyone there is breathing a sigh of relief. But you're right Irish, it won't bring those girls back. But hopefully now it won't happen to anyone else.
IRiSHMaFIA
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just saw it on CNN and heard the interview with the guy. It says suspect held in the five killings, but it doesn't seem they're saying for sure it's him.

I hope he's the right guy if they're putting him out so publically this way, because as mentioned in this thread, people that are falsly accused are treated as guilty by the public even after being vindicated.

If he is the murderer then thank god they caught him before he had the chance to take another innocent life.

Another thing mentioned in this thread that I found quite noticable was in every article or press release the women were referred to as 'prostitutes' and not women. That sickened me as the press almost tried to dehumanize them because of their occupation.

They're every bit as important as any other victim of crime or human on this planet, and they should be referred to by their proper name and not this label.

Who cares what they did for a living? Nobody deserves their life to be taken in such a brutal way.
IRiSHMaFIA
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Second arrest in Strangler case

POLICE investigating the murders of five Ipswich prostitutes have made a second arrest.

Detectives picked up the 48-year-old man at a house in London Road, near the town's red light district, at around 5am.

A police spokesman said the arrest was made on suspicion of the murder of all five girls.

He is being held in custody at a Suffolk police station, where he will be questioned later today.

Tom Stephens, 37, from Trimley, was arrested early yesterday. Police have been given a further 12 hours to question him.

Police are refusing to confirm or deny the identity of the two men in custody.

News of the second arrest was announced by Detective Chief Superintendent Stewart Gull at Suffolk Police headquarters shortly before 9am today.

He said: "The 48-year-old man was arrested at his home address in Ipswich at approximately 5am this morning.

"He has been arrested on suspicion of murdering all five women.

"The man is currently in custody at a police station in Suffolk, where he will be questioned about the deaths later today. Police will not be naming the police station where the man is being held.

"The 37-year-old man, who was arrested at his home in Trimley yesterday, remains in custody."

Forensic experts and search teams were at an address in London Road, Ipswich this morning. They loaded a dark blue Ford Mondeo onto a transporter as officers dressed in white forensic suits began the search for evidence.

A police source described the latest arrest as "significant".

This is slightly confusing. I'm not sure if they're saying it was 2 men doing it or the last one arrested.

If the first guy is innocent then I hope he doesn't face grief from the public, and as mentioned previously, that's a good possibility. Once people see a person taken into custody for questioning, even if they're found innocent they're treated poorly.

I just hope one of the 2 are the actual murderer so the scumbag is off the streets and people can feel more at ease.
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's interesting that they've found a second suspect now. I know that often they bring one in , in the hopes that it will flush the other or someone else out. (I've learned so much watching Criminal Minds Laughing )
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a live news conference on just now and it turns out the first guy has been released, while the second guy has been charged with all 5 murders...
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

faceless wrote:
There's a live news conference on just now and it turns out the first guy has been released, while the second guy has been charged with all 5 murders...

I was just going to post that as I'd just seen it on the 6 o'clock news. I'm glad they've finally caught the guy and hopefully he won't get off of these charges easily..... I doubt it!
6ULDV8

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a huge argument with the wife about all this the other morning as I was driving her to work...

I didn't think the first guy they had was guilty...
To me, he kinda' put his kneck on the line & put his heart into his statements...
He practicaly said he was a sad old anorak who diddled ladies of the night & got on with all 5 women on a personal level...
What he said was one thing, how he said it all swayed me into a "he's not the guy"...

The wife (like most people & media) was certain that he was the killer... going on about how he fits the profile etc... well that's too much CSI & court TV if you ask me.

I am more than glad that they are charging this 2nd guy, I do think that he will attempt to implicate another person (but not the guy they let go).

I'm also looking forward to his 'reasons'.
Don't take me wrong, what he did was horrid, but a killer has a reason or an agenda.
I feel that his reason for the murders were three fold...
I feel that he was the father of the unborn that one of the dead women was found to be with...
That he killed the others to try & take the emphasis off of the pregnant one thus (in his mind) further him from questioning...
I also feel that he got the idea from the new crop of Jack the Ripper media coverage (TV doco'c & news print) but didn't have the stomach to do any ripping.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

6ULDV8 wrote:
I feel that his reason for the murders were three fold...
I feel that he was the father of the unborn that one of the dead women was found to be with...
That he killed the others to try & take the emphasis off of the pregnant one thus (in his mind) further him from questioning...
I also feel that he got the idea from the new crop of Jack the Ripper media coverage (TV doco'c & news print) but didn't have the stomach to do any ripping.

I'm glad it wasn't the first guy either - as we'd have been bombarded for years with shite like "The myspace murderer". In the audio interview with him I didn't pick up any stress from his voice and from that I gathered he was either completely innocent or completely insane. He is gonna get slagged rotten for ever though.

As for the reasons for the other guy to do it - that's a bit extreme I reckon. Wasn't the one who was pregnant killed last? Even if she wasn't I still think that doing 4 more murders over a period of time just to cover up one is a bit much to be believable. But then, you never know..
cori

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just glad they've caught the murderer, lived in Seattle when they were looking for the green river murderer, and that took many, many years to find him.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> News mash All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: