Snow and Christmas
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Annual celebrations
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cat21

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:15 pm    Post subject: Snow and Christmas Reply with quote

Just wondering...

Because I'm in Australia I've not had a Christmas with snow (or even one where the temperature was below 24C for that matter!).

Does the weather play a part in your perception and enjoyment of the season?

Even though I had my first 2 Christmases in England I can't remember the snow or the cold during this time so I can't imagine it...but it still felt like Christmas to us! We even had the full Roast dinner!

Your views?

Cath
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only had one Christmas without cold weather (it's hit or miss with the snow, but it's mostly around... being Canada!!). It just feels different, but I was with a lot of fellow Canadians so, it was still festive despite the lack of the white stuff. In a pinch, you can buy that snow in a can and spray your windows and stuff. Not the same, but at least it's something.

Right now, I'd gladlly ship all our snow down to you asap!!! Laughing (see my pictures in the other forums!)
btaylo24
King of the PowderRoom

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been in OZ two years and its hard to get in the spirit when its so warm outside (35'c today)

Best thing to do (as the oh wise Irish M advised me) is to get all the decorations and tree up.....It will soon start to feel like xmas...

Cheers

BArry
6ULDV8

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spent many years in Cape Town South Africa (most of my youth) & trust me, no snow... more like Xmas day at the beach BBQ-ing a turkey etc...

For myself, snow / cold weather is needed, but this is due to having some of my fondest memories of family & friends at xmas in colder countries.

The coldest Xmas I ever had (with the most snowfall etc) was a scandanavian one... OMG, more snow in 3 days than I have ever seen & such a fanatical Xmas regeime...

I plan on taking the kids to Cape town for a christmas so they can experience the whole beach on xmas day thing, so far tho non of them nor the wife likes the idea of 110 degrees or more at xmas...
It's not what they are used to...

I can tell you this tho'...
Xmas didn't start in mid October in those days as it does here now.
Mad Mad Mad
Griffo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snow is awesome. Christmas or not, i love it.

The snow here in the UK is never thick enough to do anything with it though. And usually the rain washes it away the day after Mad
6ULDV8

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Griffo wrote:
Snow is awesome. Christmas or not, i love it.

The snow here in the UK is never thick enough to do anything with it though. And usually the rain washes it away the day after Mad

Not too sure on that, depends where you are m8...

I spent a few nice white Xmas's & a few weeks around them with great snowfall (& it stayed) in the 'Hertfordshire' & in central london (soho & west end).

I can recall working in Covent Garden as a street entertainer (comedy magic) & having a stall there (also magic) during the xmas season & everything being a blanket of white that stayed for weeks on end.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

6ULDV8 wrote:
I can recall working in Covent Garden as a street entertainer (comedy magic) & having a stall there (also magic) during the xmas season & everything being a blanket of white that stayed for weeks on end.

Yes, the Victorian era was known for its colder weather...

Laughing
6ULDV8

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

faceless wrote:
6ULDV8 wrote:

Laughing

Cheeky bugger lol....

Seriously, Covent Garden Xmas 1990... brrrrrrr
Snow everywhere most of the last 2 weeks of December & first 2 weeks of January.
It hardly let up m8.

Kinda' makes it hard on people working outdoors with their hands...
I tried "slight of glove" & "slight of mitten" but it wasn't too great.
Razz

If I recall correctly 1991 was pretty much the same, only a few days less snow either side of Xmas day.

On another note...

Xmas spirit, ya' want a huge dose of it, visit covent garden this time of year...
It does indeed feel more christmassy, almost victorian in a way, so faceless almost had it right.
IRiSHMaFIA
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

btaylo24 wrote:
I have been in OZ two years and its hard to get in the spirit when its so warm outside (35'c today)

Best thing to do (as the oh wise Irish M advised me) is to get all the decorations and tree up.....It will soon start to feel like xmas...

Cheers

BArry

Thanks for sharing that Barry. It looks nice Smile I'll post a pic once the bugger's up here which should be this weekend.
IRiSHMaFIA
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

faceless wrote:
6ULDV8 wrote:

Laughing

cheek! I love it Laughing
6ULDV8

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ohhh...

Are we going to have the oblig' "OUR TREE" thread this year....

Please please please.

Yet to buy ours...
Was thinking this weekend too.

Tree Tips:

Bring it indoors, let it stand for about 36 - 48 hours so that the branches drop naturaly before attempting to decorate.
Lots of FRESH water with 1/2 a dozen or so packets of stuff you get from a florist to keep flowers fresh.
(I have them on hand year round, but for very little cost a florist will part with 1/2 a dozen packets, you get more that way than the 'specialized' xmas tree packet that costs an arm & a leg)

There is nothing worse than seeing a tree that was decorated before it had dropped it's branches...
Well, unless you count one that dries up as it drops it's branches.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

6ULDV8 wrote:

Are we going to have the oblig' "OUR TREE" thread this year....

that seems a plan, if anyone wants to start a thread about it, feel free
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Living in New Mexico I think I can remember maybe one Christmas tha we had snow, or maybe it was the day after. I can't remember because it happened about six years ago. But we have had some dust storms on Christmas day Laughing
Gasman59
Resident Ghost Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Living in PA all my life, I can say that growing up with stories of Christmas snow and all that, it woudn't be Christmas (for me) without the chill in that air and a little white stuff on the ground. And no, not the stuff out of the bag I dropped either.
6ULDV8

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gasman59 wrote:
a little white stuff on the ground. And no, not the stuff out of the bag I dropped either.

You sir... should be more careful when your baking goods...
Such a waste of flour is terrible...

Embarassed Razz Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Annual celebrations All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: