Gillian Taylforth - Why I'm Scared of Marriage

View previous topic :: View next topic  
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:17 am    Post subject: Gillian Taylforth - Why I'm Scared of Marriage Reply with quote

WHY I'M TERRIFIED OF GETTING MARRIED
By Victoria Kennedy
IT'S one of the longest engagements in showbiz. Gillian Taylforth accepted her fiance's proposal 16 years ago - but her wedding day still seems to be as far away as ever. In fact, her pals would be well advised not to bother buying a hat at all. "I'll be walking down the aisle with a Zimmer frame," 51-year-old Gillian laughs with her trademark throaty chuckle. Her partner Geoff Knight - who she's been with for 18 years - hasn't stopped trying to tie her down, though. Earlier this year, the 52-year-old businessman asked her if she wanted to finally set a date. She toyed with the idea - but now she's got cold feet. "We chatted about getting married and wondered when we should to do it," Gillian says. "It'll probably be another 18 years - I think if it ain't broke, don't fix it. When he mentioned it recently, I thought, 'Oh, that'll be nice,' and then I wasn't sure again. I think I'm frightened. I probably worry it'll change things. And anyway, once you've got children, you've made that commitment."

In truth Gillian, who became a household name when she played Kathy Beale in EastEnders, says it's a wonder they're engaged in the first place because the proposal didn't exactly go to plan. "It's a standing joke," she laughs. "He'd talked to me in the September about getting engaged, but then he didn't mention it again. His famous line was 'don't push a river, let it flow'. Then on Christmas Eve we had a row. He was supposed to be round at my house at 11pm. I'd organised some champagne, but then it got to midnight and I thought, 'blow it,' and opened the bubbly. So when he finally got to mine and we put the presents around the tree, I couldn't see a small box. So I thought, 'Well then, whatever.' That night I slept in the bed and he slept on the sofa. Then in the morning he gave me this big box, which had another box inside it, and then another little one inside with a ring in it. I opened it and gasped, 'Oh,' but he didn't say anything. So I put it on the wrong finger and he said, 'You're supposed to put it on your engagement finger.' I snapped back, 'You're supposed to ask me.' So that was it - we were engaged. So if that was the engagement, perhaps we should forget about a wedding!"

Even if Gillian did decide to set a date, she'd be hard-pressed to squeeze it into her schedule. The actress is returning to our screens in ITV1's The Bill as Sergeant Nikki Wright, a married mum of two. Gillian is currently working six days a week on the show. The set is a two-hour drive away from her home, so she leaves at 5.30am and doesn't usually return until 9pm. She's recently hired an au pair to look after her children, Jessica, 14, and Harrison, seven, during the day. And she admits to feeling guilty about not spending enough time with them.

"I leave so early I'm the alarm clock at home now. When I'm sitting in make-up I'll call them and say, 'This is your seven o'clock wake up call,'" she laughs. "It's hard being away from the kids. You're on a guilt trip as a working mum anyway. I told Harrison the other day I wouldn't get back in time to pick him up from school. He just said, 'Oh, OK,' and I felt guilt, guilt, guilt."

Gillian is excited today because she's just bought Harrison a pet tortoise called Tyke. But she says she consciously attempts not to make up for being away by showering her children with gifts. "I don't believe in thinking, 'I've been away so I'll buy them something.' I tend to overcompensate with cuddles. Jessica's at that age where she cringes but Harrison likes it and says, 'Give me a kiss 'cos I love you.'"

Despite the long hours and being away from her kids, Gillian is clearly delighted to be starring in The Bill. The seasoned actress, who was in Footballers' Wives, admits she had the jitters on her first day. "I was so nervous," she says. "However many jobs I've done, I always feel like the new girl. Some of the cast have been together for 22 years, I thought they might think I'm hopeless. And then there's the lovely uniform. Actually, it's not too bad, and at least I know what I'm going to wear every day. It was great wearing all those glam clothes in Footballers' Wives but it's nice to have a change."

Gillian says it's been strange being out in public in the full police get-up. "It's weird walking down the street in the uniform," she chuckles. As people look at me I can see them thinking, 'I know that face... no, it can't be because she's a copper.' One bloke stopped me and said, 'I never meet any policewomen like you, otherwise I wouldn't mind getting arrested.' He obviously needed his glasses, or he was drunk!"

Modest about her looks, the 5ft 6in actress weighs just under 9st and is slim and toned. Dismissing any compliments, she says: "I haven't been to the gym because I've been working so hard. I was thinking of putting a step machine in my dressing room because I don't have the energy to go to the gym for an hour."

On top of her family and work commitments, Gillian is also a supporter of the NSPCC's recent Full Stop campaign to help end cruelty to children. It's a subject she's passionate about. "Every child deserves the right to love and a happy childhood," she says. "If anyone reading this sees something amiss, don't ignore it - tell someone." With that, Gillian is off to see her own kids. "I told Harrison I could pick him up tonight and he was delighted," she says. "It's so good to be there for him."

JOIN the NSPCC's campaign at www.bethefullstop.com

------------------
Twirley

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that Face - I've always liked Gillian Taylforth.

Smile
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Face..... I haven't seen her in awhile so a good read.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Son sees TV's Gillian hit by dad
By RICHARD WHITE
Showbiz Reporter
November 07, 2006

TELLY star Gillian Taylforth was punched by her partner during a row in front of their seven-year-old son. The Bill and Footballers? Wives actress had three stitches in her scalp after Geoff Knights allegedly punched her so hard she careered over a sofa. Gillian, 51, smashed her skull on the side of a coffee table. Knights, 53, spent 18 hours in a police cell and was released on Sunday afternoon with an official caution after Gillian said she didn?t want to press charges.

The row happened at their home in Broxbourne, Herts, after they had been out for a meal with son Harrison to celebrate their 20th anniversary. A pal said: ?Geoff went berserk. He lost it. He?s admitted he hit her and sent her over a couch. She banged her head and there was a lot of blood. She called the police and Geoff was arrested.?

It was the latest in a string of rows between the pair. In 2001 Knights smashed up the family home after another argument at a restaurant. It took 10 cops to pin him down. In 1995 their chauffeur was allegedly hit by Knights as he helped the ex-EastEnders star move out of the couple?s home. And in 1994 Knights threw a cop down stairs after a bust-up and was convicted of assault. In 1992 The Sun revealed that Gillian had been caught by police performing a sex act on Knights in their Range Rover on an A1 slip road.

----------------
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an observation, but, does anyone have a normal life after they leave EastEnders?
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eefanincan wrote:
Just an observation, but, does anyone have a normal life after they leave EastEnders?

I'm starting to wonder the same thing.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skylace wrote:
eefanincan wrote:

I'm starting to wonder the same thing.

As you can see in this interview (from Wednesday) she doesn't seem to have any harm to her... maybe the story was just tabloid bollocks? Nah, surely not!

eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good clip... thanks for posting it.
Twirley

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one - thanks!

Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Soaps All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: