Starbuck's being sued over voucher
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:35 pm    Post subject: Starbuck's being sued over voucher Reply with quote

A Starbucks customer in the US who was told her free drink voucher was worthless is launching a $114m (?60m) lawsuit against the coffee colossus.

Starbucks pulled the free drink offer, saying it had been redistributed beyond its original intent.

The woman's lawyer says $114m equals the cost of drinks for all those turned away when the company decided to cancel its offer.

He hopes millions of other disappointed customers will join the legal effort.

The company originally e-mailed the offer to employees in the south-east of the US, with instructions to forward it to family and friends.

Like many popular things on the internet, the e-mail quickly got out of control, being forwarded to perhaps millions of people around the country and posted on websites.

When Starbucks realised how many people were coming in for their free drink, it rescinded the offer.

But one customer in New York city felt so betrayed she approached a lawyer.

He is accusing the company of fraud and is requesting class-action status for the lawsuit, hoping to sign-up countless others around the country who also missed out on their free drink.

Legal experts do not think the case has much chance of winning.
_____

What is up with some people? This is just a stupid lawsuit. I think it's crap of Starbucks to pull it like that, but to sue them for $114m? no
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about boycotting them and going to another coffee place? That'll still hit them in the pocketbook.
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eefanincan wrote:
How about boycotting them and going to another coffee place? That'll still hit them in the pocketbook.

That's exactly what I thought. Just don't go there if you're that unhappy about it.
pirtybirdy
'Native New Yorker'

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I really cannot stand people like this. Another scammer looking for a corporation to give them a free ride in life. Pathetic. :grr:
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
IRiSHMaFIA
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pirtybirdy wrote:
Oh, I really cannot stand people like this. Another scammer looking for a corporation to give them a free ride in life. Pathetic. :grr:

I agree with you spot on.

I heard about this a few weeks back and starbucks had emailed the vouchers to employees but they started emailing them out to loads of people and actually did go well past the actual intent of what they were meant to be used for.

I can't stand people that think they can sue corps like this either as they think something is owed to them, and for what? Not getting a free cup of java? Screw them! If they do continue with the lawsuit I hope starbucks wins and the ejit suing has to pay legal costs and goes bankrupt for being a greedy prick.
Griffo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha, idiots. I don't really understand much about all this lawsuit business. But do you think any normal person can actually afford to carry on with the case considering it's against a huge company?
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Griffo wrote:
Haha, idiots. I don't really understand much about all this lawsuit business. But do you think any normal person can actually afford to carry on with the case considering it's against a huge company?

That's why they want to get a "class-action" case sorted. That way the thousands of people who stand to gain share the costs I think...

I'd love to see someone making millions off these faceless, soulless corporations but I don't reckon this will work... anyone who has enough time to complain to this extent about not getting a cup of coffee is an arse. Then again her determination is probably down to one manager being an officious arse too.
IRiSHMaFIA
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

faceless wrote:

I'd love to see someone making millions off these faceless, soulless corporations but I don't reckon this will work... anyone who has enough time to complain to this extent about not getting a cup of coffee is an arse. Then again her determination is probably down to one manager being an officious arse too.

These 'faceless, soulless corporations' were once one persons idea and they happen to stumble across something that was good, enabling them to make it big and make a lot of money, and I'm sure they had to invest a lot of their hard earned dollars in order to get it off the ground. Even if it was a group effort it still takes a lot of money to make money.

Why should some pathetic whining arselicker win a lawsuit against them when it's all over a free cup of coffee? It sickens me that the average arse out there thinks they can get their life paid for on the backs of others, and that includes large corp giants.

They've done bugger all to deserve a thing out of them, and if I was the judge in this matter I'd say here's a voucher for 1 free coffee now get the F out of my courtroom and stop wasting peoples time ye bloody moocher.

People are too carried away with suing others over the littlest things, and they're also costing taxpayers money. Why should the taxpayer have to pay for lowlifes trying to get a free ride?
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IRiSHMaFIA wrote:
faceless wrote:

These 'faceless, soulless corporations' were once one persons idea and they happen to stumble across something that was good, enabling them to make it big and make a lot of money, and I'm sure they had to invest a lot of their hard earned dollars in order to get it off the ground. Even if it was a group effort it still takes a lot of money to make money.

The fact that their buying policies contribute directly to poverty in many places is what makes this particular company soulless. Because they can buy up massive amounts of raw product they force the prices down for the beans that many everyday farmers work to produce in shit conditions worldwide. They say that they make a point of buying "Fair Trade" coffee, but it only amounts to 1% of their total buying.

They couldn't care less. They also use milk from cows which have had genetically modified hormones injected apparently... nice!

www.organicconsumers.org/Starbucks/092702_fair_trade.cfm

I still think the woman with the legal petition is an arse though.
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they should pay me for having to figure out their damn menu..... some days, ya just want a plain cup of coffee or tea and I want to order, small, medium or large not in italian or whatever Smile
IRiSHMaFIA
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

faceless wrote:
IRiSHMaFIA wrote:
faceless wrote:

The fact that their buying policies contribute directly to poverty in many places is what makes this particular company soulless. Because they can buy up massive amounts of raw product they force the prices down for the beans that many everyday farmers work to produce in shit conditions worldwide. They say that they make a point of buying "Fair Trade" coffee, but it only amounts to 1% of their total buying.

They couldn't care less. They also use milk from cows which have had genetically modified hormones injected apparently... nice!

www.organicconsumers.org/Starbucks/092702_fair_trade.cfm

I still think the woman with the legal petition is an arse though.

My point isn't really about Starbucks but more the person with the lawsuit. I'm sure what a lot of companies do would most likely piss me off, especially if it causes hardships to farmers or anyone else for that matter.

As far as cows go, unfortunately they're being injected by the farmers themselves and not just for Starbucks but for many other reasons, such as growth hormones to promote growth so they can sell more meat. They also feed cows and other animals the leftovers from slaughter that they can't use, which is a form of forced cannibalism to save on the price of feed.

Companies do a lot of bad things that a majority of the public doesn't know about, and I'm not in anyway excusing that, but for people to take advantage of the legal system like this woman is just a waste of time and money. I hope she loses in a big way where she finds herself lighter in the pocket for being a greedy bitch.
IRiSHMaFIA
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eefanincan wrote:
I think they should pay me for having to figure out their damn menu..... some days, ya just want a plain cup of coffee or tea and I want to order, small, medium or large not in italian or whatever Smile

I've not ever tried it before. I'm a Tim Hortons girl myself :coffee:
Gasman59
Resident Ghost Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about all governments wise up and stop all this bullshit sueing business. Get a life !!!
IRiSHMaFIA
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gasman59 wrote:
How about all governments wise up and stop all this bullshit sueing business. Get a life !!!

The judicial system in just about every country is a complete catastrophe in one way or another.

I was reading the newspaper the other day and was completely shocked at this one story.

In Toronto, there were people getting information about home owners finances etc, putting their homes up for sale and once the home was sold they took the money and ran. The actual owner of the home had to vacate for the 'new' owners but still have to pay the mortage!

They are trying to change the laws to avoid this happening again.

Another thing I read a while back is something called 'squatters rights'.

If you go on hols for a month, someone can break into your home and live there and when you come back, you can't kick them out! They can legally take over your property.

Another thing we found out from an estate agent here is if you buy property and aren't using a portion of it and your neighbour does, if you don't tell them right away it's your property then they can take it over legally and you're screwed. When you want to sell, you must take that portion of the property off as it's no longer yours.

There's a couple examples of a broken down judicial system, and that's not even the tip of the iceburg.
Kezza
Gone To The Dogs!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

faceless wrote:
Griffo wrote:

That's why they want to get a "class-action" case sorted. That way the thousands of people who stand to gain share the costs I think...

And the messed-up thing about class-action lawsuits is that the lawyers stand to make the most money. The law firm will take anywhere from 33% - 40%, leaving the rest to be divided by the thousands in "the class."

My wireless phone company settled a class-action lawsuit in the millions of dollars and by default, I was a member of "the class" since I didn't opt out. My share? $15.00. I'm not kidding. no
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> News mash All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: