Jamie Oliver's nightmare

View previous topic :: View next topic  
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 3:10 pm    Post subject: Jamie Oliver's nightmare Reply with quote

Parents feed pupils through gates

Pupils at a South Yorkshire school are being fed fish and chips through the gates by parents who say the canteen is not providing what their children want. Students at Rawmarsh Comprehensive are not allowed out of the grounds at lunchtime, so some parents are taking their orders for the chip shop instead. They say pupils are not being given enough time or choice for their meals but the school said it aimed to provide good quality food that helped pupils' to concentrate in the afternoons.

Julie Critchley is one of the parents who delivers pupils' orders from the grounds of a neighbouring cemetery in Rotherham while the school gates are locked. "The children aren't eating what the school provide in the cafeteria because they don't like the quality of the food," she said. "They prefer to come to us to have their food delivered fresh and hot, which is what they're asking for. We're giving them what they're asking for."

The move is being seen as a backlash against TV chef Jamie Oliver's campaign for healthy school dinners. But Ms Critchley insisted it was not about promoting junk food as they had several orders for jacket potatoes and salad sandwiches alongside the burgers and fish and chips.

She said their actions had been prompted by the school's half hour meal breaks, as pupils did not have long enough to eat. "They're like caged animals at the moment," she said. "By the time the children have queued to get their lunch they haven't time to eat it."

From this term, pupils have been given two half hour breaks instead of the previous 15 and 45 minutes. Head teacher John Lambert said reorganising the school day and keeping pupils on site during breaks had already shown its benefits. "Our motives are about effective education," he said. "Afternoon lateness has dropped to virtually zero and we know they are learning better in the afternoons."

He said he understood some pupils would resist the changes but believed that parents taking orders at the gates was undermining the school and their children's education. "We aim to provide good quality food which is within government healthy eating guidelines and helps the children's learning in the afternoon," he said. "The food that these parents are handing out is not part of a healthy eating diet and on top of that I have to question the morality of delivering it from the grounds of a cemetery. I just don't think it's helping their children and I don't think it's helping their children's school."

---------------

Christ on a deep-fried bike!
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For fuck sake. It's just amazing. If they want their kids to eat shit, let them. And if the food being provided by the schools isn't warm and such, then they need to sort it.

However, being upset they only have a half hour! Jesus! Over here most of our kids get about 20 mins to eat! If it's the upper levels they have 40. That's it and no other breaks in between.
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why don't they just pack their lunch and bring it to school if they don't like what they get? We don't have lunch programs here and everyone seems to do quite fine with a sandwich or something in a thermos.
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eefanincan wrote:
Why don't they just pack their lunch and bring it to school if they don't like what they get? We don't have lunch programs here and everyone seems to do quite fine with a sandwich or something in a thermos.

That's an excellent point. You can't really ban packed lunches. Why does it have to be fish and chips pushed through the gates?
Bat

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We'll be seeing a chippy van on the gravestones next no
IRiSHMaFIA
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bat wrote:

That's actually an enterprising idea. There's money to be made here and if I were you, I'd jump on this opportunity.

I'll invest agree
Gasman59
Resident Ghost Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had a half an hour for lunch and spent most of it in the line to get our lunch. Confused
Marcella-FL
Don't make me pull this van over!!!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW! I thought my daughter had it rough with no cakes or cookies in school! How can these kids maintain their XBOX figures with no deep fried chip fat on a stick?
maycm
'cheeky banana'

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IRiSHMaFIA wrote:
Bat wrote:

That's actually an enterprising idea. There's money to be made here and if I were you, I'd jump on this opportunity.

I'll invest agree

If I were you Irish, I'd lay off the chips.....
fritz

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many years ago when I went to school(Catholic school with Nuns trough as old boots and kind of looked them too)We didn?t have lunches provided by the schools. We had to brown bag it.But MOM always gave us a choice.Take it or leave it.I suggest these kids get the same.Hell I survived.
Razz
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fritz wrote:
Many years ago when I went to school(Catholic school with Nuns trough as old boots and kind of looked them too)We didn?t have lunches provided by the schools. We had to brown bag it.But MOM always gave us a choice.Take it or leave it.I suggest these kids get the same.Hell I survived.
Razz

Amen! We were (and still are) provided with a lunch menu for the month. My mom had me sit down and look at it. I circled all the days I wanted a packed lunch. She'd make it for me on those days. While she did know what I liked and didn't like, I didn't get all that much say. There was never any crisps or anything like that in there. The only thing I got extra was maybe a nice pudding. And of course a note on my napkin. Smile
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fritz wrote:
Razz

Exactly!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> News mash All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: