Confessions of a randy dandy (Russell Brand features)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nekokate

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't wait for the movie to come out! His radio show's finally back tonight, too - he took 2 weeks off to have a resty west. Literally West, when I think of it, cos he went to the States Smile
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a video from the Radio 2 site, of Brand's gaff.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russell Brand on 'The Culture Show' - 2007-12-08
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the Graham Norton show - 2007-12-26
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Sequelly Wequel

Russell Brand has signed a second book deal, following the success of his autobiography My Booky Wook. The new volume, as yet untitled, will be released in time for Christmas. According to publishers Hodder, the book can loosely be described as ‘Russell's rantings’ on his favourite subjects including ‘football, sex and the school rabbit’.

Brand's My Booky Wook became the Christmas number one bestseller last Christmas. The new deal was struck between Hodder and Brand’s managers at the John Noel Agency. Hodder’s Ben Dunn, who edits Brand's titles, said that where My Booky Wook was all about Brand himself, the second would be ‘about everything else’.

----------------

I've still not even started reading the first one - I should get round to it...
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brand's bid for rock stardom

Russell Brand is launching a rock career on the back of his latest movie. The comic is releasing a single later this month from his new film Forgetting Sarah Marshall – backed by a media campaign to get it to No 1.

In the film he plays Aldous Snow, the spoiled and sex-crazed lead singer of British indie band Infant Sorrow, named after a William Blake poem. As part of the marketing campaign, the distributors have set up a MySpace page for the band, and been distributing a viral video of ‘Snow’ getting annoyed on a children’s TV show.

On April 12, following pressure from Brand’s fans, the innuendo-laden song Inside Of You, will be released on Universal Music. The Sun newspaper has also latched on to the online campaigns backing the single, and has started to promote the release.

Forgetting Sarah Marshall is released on April 25. Meanwhile, clothes from the film have just been sold on eBay for charity, raising £550.

-------------

I'm not surprised they're releasing the single - I can't see it getting to number one, but I'm sure it will do pretty well all the same.
nekokate

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic. I play that track a lot!! It's brilliant!! I'll even buy the single, since it's for a good cause (getting Ol' Russ to #1!!!!)
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who is this Russell Brand and why is he big in the UK?
By Ruben V. Nepales
Philippine Daily Inquirer
03/04/2008

He says things like: "Daniel Craig is a challenge to my heterosexuality. If I knew I was about to die, I'd be out there chatting up Daniel Craig. I'm going to give him such a big cuddle, that man. I could be a vicious Bond girl!"

Get ready for Russell Brand, who is dubbed the randiest man in show biz in the UK. He's famous in his country as a stand-up comic, newspaper columnist, television and radio host and book author. And now as an actor in an American comedy movie, "Forgetting Sarah Marshall," Russell is poised to become popular as well in the US and the rest of the world.

Playing an egotistical, hedonistic British rock star, Aldous Snow, Russell parlays his raunchy rock 'n' roll image onto the big screen, engaging in hilariously acrobatic sex scenes with Kristen Bell (TV's "Heroes"), who plays the title character. Produced by Judd Apatow ("The 40-Year-Old-Virgin," "Knocked Up"), "Forgetting Sarah Marshall" tells the story of a musician (Jason Segel) who vacations in Hawaii to recover from being dumped by his TV star girlfriend, only to find that she and her new rocker boyfriend are also in the same resort.

Russell is only 32 but has already written an acclaimed autobiography, "My Booky Wook," where he chronicled his troubled young life, including his bouts with drug and sex addiction. He was only 3 when his parents split. At 17, Russell took a trip with his father to the Far East, where they bonded by sharing a room with prostitutes. He also narrated how a spat with a female stripper at dawn led to his being locked out of his house ... and he's naked. In search of a locksmith at three in the morning, he wandered, still nude, into a gay bar.

In his review of the book, the Guardian's Andrew Anthony wrote, "To his (Russell's) expanding CV (curriculum vitae) can now be added a scandalous, libidinous memoir that is better written and more entertaining than any number of the celebrity autobiographies that clog the shelves of our bookshops." "My Booky Wook," which recently made it as a nominee in the biography category of the British Book Awards, will be made into a film, with Russell playing himself.

Now reportedly free of his drug and sexual addiction, Russell, a vegetarian who practices yoga, juggles being a live show performer, BBC Radio and MTV host, journalist and now, a film actor. The eyeliner-wearing Brit was even invited to speak at Oxford late last year.

At the press con, Russell was a hoot, speaking in a courtly manner while talking about stuff like his genitals. But his erudition showed - it's very rare to come across a celebrity who casually says words like "quotidian" and "inveigled."

Wearing what he described as "baubles and trinkets," Russell had the reporters of various nationalities laughing almost with every sentence he uttered. So please note, in these excerpts, Russell delivered one quotable quote after another in a tongue-in-cheek manner. Read them in the press con's humorous context.

You are quite a celebrity in the UK-everybody was writing about your book there-and yet you are little known in this country.

I'm absolutely obscure. I'm unknown. I can go through towns unobserved, unnoticed like a shadow man and may I tell you that it's very bruising for my ego.

Was Daniel Craig a good sport when you kissed him on a TV talk show? After all, he's 007, James Bond.

And I successfully eroticized Daniel Craig.

Did it take much courage?

It didn't take much work because he's quite erotic anyway, playing 007 with all that innate sexuality, suppressed violence and intrigue. The sexuality merely needed to be teased.

Was there any reason you never mentioned your Hollywood foray on that show?

I didn't mention it because we English do not like to appear arrogant or conceited ... I didn't want to hurt anybody's feelings so I politely declined to mention it and instead spoke of my vegetarianism and my love of art.

Did you feel like a fish out of water when you were in Hawaii?

I don't know how a fish out of water would feel. I imagine it would feel an incredible obligation to return to its natural aquatic state. What I felt was being ostracized certainly by my own countrymen and a sudden sense of bereavement for the lack of sexual opportunities. To be denied orgasms is a challenge but well worth it to appear in this fantastic film ...

What did you miss?

Sex. The gaslights, the cobbled streets, the English newspapers.

Can you talk about how you and Kristen Bell prepared for those acrobatic sex scenes?

We obviously had to familiarize ourselves with each other on account of the intimacy of those scenes. While people in London seemed very excited about the opportunity I was afforded - being in such proximity to a beautiful actress like Kristen Bell - I was very nervous because you're surrounded by burly teamsters and intimidating men. Your attitude toward your own genitalia dramatically changes. Also, the male genitalia is not an organ that responds particularly well to lights and focus.

What's more, they made me wear flesh-colored pants [actually a pouch] which I can only describe as being the color of prosthetic limbs and they cover my genitalia. They compromised my dignity but I'm expected to perform sex acts. I didn't want to let down my nation which is England so I thought that it was very important that I looked sexually dexterous. That further heaped pressure on me. I must say that Kristen was incredibly patient and tolerant as she bore some of the worst rutting that I can recall seeing in a film.

And doing those surfing scenes was just as challenging?

Yeah, because look at my hair. You can't go into the sea with this haircut. I had to learn to surf quickly and the situation was made harder by the gentleman teaching me to surf. He used to be with the American Special Forces and was from the US Olympic Water Polo Team, a stronger bastion of masculinity one could ever hope to meet. Being confronted with him while I was feeling so vulnerable was an enormous challenge. Heaped upon that was the necessity to learn surfing. Those were difficult hours. The results speak for themselves. I look awkward and frightened in those scenes.

The title of the film is "Forgetting Sarah Marshall." Are there relationships that you wish you could forget?

Every romantic liaison I have ever had fueled and crafted me into the great lover of romance that sits before you now. Although there has been an awful lot of pain, it is surely a price worth paying for beauty. I will endure pain for the duty that it sometimes bring. Not to say my heart hasn't frequently been broken, for it has, but now I am a much stronger gentleman, still optimistic that love can be found by all.

E-mail the columnist at rvnepales_5585@yahoo.com and read his blog, "The Nepales Report," on http://blogs.inquirer.net/nepalesreport.

------------------
nekokate

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

------------------------------

Oh, baby! Russykins breaks Merikee's hymen!!
pirtybirdy
'Native New Yorker'

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was quite a funny interview. He's so good at making off the cuff jokes. I hope he continues to be successful in other avenues. :-)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

faceless
admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Forgetting Sarah Marshall' star Russell Brand leaves a mark
Lael Loewenstein
USA TODAY

LOS ANGELES — Most people wouldn't show up for an audition, admit they hadn't read the script — and then land their first role in a major motion picture. Russell Brand is not like most people. At a casting session for Forgetting Sarah Marshall, which opens Friday, the British comedian, 32, confessed that he'd only managed to take a "cursory glance" at the screenplay. Then he added with a flourish, "Would you mind telling me what it's all about?"

Instead of showing him the exit, actor/writer Jason Segel and director Nicholas Stoller were so intrigued by Brand's combination of honesty and bravado — not to mention his outlandish appearance — that they urged him to improvise. Never mind that Brand, known for rocker threads, gravity-defying hair and a loosely androgynous persona, was nothing like the bookish character Segel and Stoller had envisioned as the film's romantic rival. For the man who lures comely Sarah Marshall (Kristen Bell) from her longtime boyfriend (Segel), they'd been thinking "more along the lines of a Hugh Grant type," recalls producer Judd Apatow. Stoller at first thought the casting director was playing a practical joke. "But Russell was so persuasive, so funny and so real," he says, "that we decided we had to rewrite the character as a rock star."

As Aldous Snow, Brand mixes a rocker's charisma, a bad boy's sexual magnetism and the comedian's own quirky charm into a tempting cocktail. Critics and preview audiences are abuzz over Brand's scene-stealing performance. The latest in a line of Apatow-shepherded comedies to fuse adolescent male humor with emotional warmth (The 40-Year-Old Virgin, Knocked Up), Sarah Marshall looks to be Brand's ticket to international stardom. Though he enjoys massive popularity in the U.K., he's relatively unknown in the USA, something he freely mines in his standup performances: "What's the point," he muses, lamenting his anonymity in America, "of having such preposterous hair with no fame to back it up?"

Preposterous or not, Brand's hair has become as distinctive as his personality, which he's quick to distinguish from that of his on-screen alter ego. Unlike the relatively plainspoken Snow, Brand demonstrates verbal dexterity and an agile mind, both on stage and in person. And over a vegetarian lunch at Hollywood's Chateau Marmont, Brand is sweet and unfailingly polite, not at all like his aloof and self-important movie character. In person, in fact, Brand is a slightly dialed-down version of his standup persona, which might best be described as manic existentialist. A question about romance, for example, can unleash an elaborate response that references Nietzsche, Depeche Mode, the Bible and The Matrix. A query about balancing humility and narcissism might provoke ruminations on consumerism, quantum physics and Nelson Mandela's human rights struggle.

Like his comedy idols Richard Pryor and Lenny Bruce, Brand freely confesses his own weaknesses, openly using his personal travails for comic fodder in his standup routine. A recovering addict, he'll delve into rapid-fire, stream-of-consciousness stories about his days smuggling heroin. As for questions about his own sexuality, Brand identifies himself as resolutely straight — the tight leather pants, he says, make him less off-putting to men. Brand admits to having supplanted his drug and alcohol dependency with a seemingly insatiable quest for success. Asked if he can imagine attaining the same stature as pop culture icons (and former Chateau Marmont denizens) Jim Morrison, James Dean and John Belushi, Brand replies, without missing a beat, "At the very least. I have a huge hunger in me."

At his current pace, he certainly has a shot. His slate is packed with projects that span film, TV, Internet, radio, newspapers and books; there's hardly a medium he has overlooked. Brand says, however, that it's not fame that feeds him — it's the thrill he gets from performing. "The way I justify my incredible appetite for recognition," Brand says, "is that I would do this happily for the rest of my life for nothing because of a devotional, religious, vocational love of what I consider to be an art form. I love standup comedy. I love making people laugh."

-----------
Twirley

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a fantastic interview with Jonathan Ross. Russell is such a charmer - you can see how he gets his women. Thanks for posting that, Face.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russell Brand is hot to trot
Comedy lothario Russell Brand is trying to take America. Will they think he’s sexy - or just ridiculous?
http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk
Christopher Goodwin

The ranch-style house just above Sunset Boulevard, with a pool and views to the Pacific Ocean, seems much like any other Hollywood Hills home. Just a couple of paces through the open front door, though, and the distinctive estuary cries within tell me that this corner of a foreign field is, for now, Essex. Here, Russell Brand, celebrated son of Grays, has established his American bridgehead. As relentlessly as he has brought Britain to its quivering knees, our most ebullient and unashamedly fame-seeking comedian plans to overwhelm the people here, from sea to shining sea.

Will his attempt to seduce America be his greatest triumph? Or will his very British humour and determinedly idiosyncratic demeanour leave Americans, perhaps, a little shaken but not very stirred? Come to think of it, how did they ever let him in? Isn’t this the man who was notoriously fired by MTV for dressing up as Osama Bin Laden on September 12, 2001? Who delineated his ferocious appetite for all kinds of illegal drugs and illicit women in My Booky Wook, his hilarious, sometimes brilliant and always indulgent autobiography, which was a huge bestseller in Britain last year.

For now, though, as befits him, Brand is engaged in a more intimate American conquest. As I follow the crazed whoops and screams up the stairs and into a bedroom, there’s our Russell, all big, tousled hair, stubbly beard and smeared make-up, naked, in bed with two women, at 11am. Bless him.

“We’re just ’aving a business meeting!” he squeals. More gales of laughter. “Are you an Eng-lish-man?” he asks jauntily, as if it’s not obvious. I am perched at the very end of the bed, trying to pretend, as any Englishman would, that I’m really quite used to conducting interviews in such circumstances. Brand, 32, despite appearances a polite and well brought up young man, facilitates the introductions.

“This lady’s Jennifer,” he says, gesturing to the beautiful, statuesque blonde American naked under the covers on his right. “She’s an enigma,” he adds. An enigma, I suspect, because it seems that she and Brand only got to know each other the previous night. “And this is Sharon, my assistant,” he says, glancing to his left. Sharon, I now see, is the only one of the three who is clothed.

We engage in a bit of idle chitchat, about yoga, among other things, which Brand practises every day, and about a yoga teacher Jennifer and I both know, who – I tell Brand for no good reason – “seems completely straight but is gay. Unlike you,” I add, “who seems gay but is completely straight”. “Yes, I do seem incredibly gay, but look how straight I am,” he says, motioning to the two women he’s in bed with. “How straight do you want? And there’s another couple of people under the sheets. And a Mexican boy down here. Ramos! Ramos!”

Sharon climbs out of bed. “Russell, if you don’t get up and do this interview, your day’s going to be completely messed up,” she tells him. “Oh, no!” he shrieks. “What will happen? Will I be attacked by crows?”

Brand is not one of those Tony Hancock-style comedians who is funny when performing but glum and depressive in private. With Brand, though, it’s hard to know whether the manic private life begat the hysterical public persona or vice versa. As he says in My Booky Wook: “My life is just a series of embarrassing incidents strung together by telling people about those embarrassing incidents.”

What Brand has been able to do, more successfully than any modern comedian, on either side of the Atlantic, is to strip away all boundaries between his private and public personas. He is his act. At the same time, though, his act is not an act, it is Russell Brand, in all his crazed glory, all his unhinged desires and neuroses, unfiltered, rampant, hyper-sexual, but mediated by a strangely knowing, postmodern, almost Buddhist awareness that everything he desires and seeks and feels and needs is, in the great metaphysical scheme of things, meaningless. That’s what he says, at least.

The big question now, though, is whether Americans will succumb to the enticements of Russell Brand, as they have to Sacha Baron Cohen and Ricky Gervais. The important difference being that Baron Cohen became famous in America through his Borat character, and Gervais by playing Andy Millman in Extras, whereas Russell Brand’s only real character is Russell Brand.

I ask him whether he thinks America will take to a deliriously foppish, self-obsessed, camp, raving hetero-sexual, with hair like a bird’s nest. “I read recently that George Bernard Shaw said, ‘The world is formed by unreasonable men,’” he says, in the quieter pedantic voice he sometimes uses. “‘A reasonable man looks at the world and sees how he can fit in with it. An unreasonable man looks at the world and sees how he can change it to fit in with him.’ I like this quote of George Bernard Shaw’s. I’ll not be changing, but America will be.”

That doesn’t mean that even Brand is expecting to change America overnight. He has a master plan. His initial, exploratory charge over the parapet comes this weekend with the US release of his first big American movie, the romantic comedy Forgetting Sarah Marshall. Well, it’s not really Brand’s movie. As yet completely unknown in the States, he gets a measly fourth billing, beneath even the Band Clist American cast. He’s not even mentioned in articles about the film over here.

“I prefer doing things that are solely focused on me, if I’m honest,” he says. Who knew? Still, Forgetting Sarah Marshall should be a hit, and that will introduce Brand to America. It’s the latest film from the production factory of Judd Apatow, America’s reigning king of movie comedy. He brought you The 40-Year-Old Virgin, Knocked Up and Superbad. Although the plot is risible, the film’s pretty funny. Unsurprisingly, Brand steals every scene he’s in. He plays Aldous Snow, a rock star who takes up with the girlfriend of the main character. The reviews have been good, as he is keen to tell me.

“I got particularly singled out,” he says with characteristic lack of modesty. “Variety said it was ‘a marvellously droll and controlled performance from Russell Brand’.” (Variety did say that: I checked.)

Described by Variety as “a slinky, self-absorbed Brit rocker”, Snow dresses in what appear to be Brand’s own tight, black, Lizard King leather trousers. The character acts like an exaggerated parody of the least appealing parts of Brand’s personality. He is, therefore, preening, hideously self-obsessed, sexually rampant and aggravatingly petulant. But also, of course, extremely funny.

Apparently, before Brand was cast, the character was meant to be “a bookish sort of author”, he tells me, “but they rewrote the part for me and they gave me loads of room to improvise”. Before they started shooting the film last summer, in Hawaii, they rehearsed for two weeks, “so there was time to develop the character – or, in my case, to undevelop the character... until it’s exactly like me”.

I should probably mention that Brand and I are now in the living room downstairs. He has arranged himself crosslegged on a big chair. He’s wearing a black leather jacket, a West Ham shirt, a pearl necklace, long woolly Afghan socks and purple knickers. Perhaps it’s too early in the day for trousers. Perhaps he just forgot. A swelling sea of people laps around us, including his manager and the producer of his weekly Radio 2 show, which Brand has been doing the past couple of weeks from the house. He’s also kept writing his weekly football column, in which he regularly mentions his genuine allegiance to West Ham, for The Guardian newspaper.

As we chat, Brand tries to concentrate, but he’s easily distracted and is now waving at someone behind me. Jennifer, in an extremely short blue dress, is on the stairs, about to do a twirl. “She was going to show me her bum then,” Brand tells me, sounding very Frankie Howerd. “Hey, you’re gorgeous!” he shouts to her. “Ain’t she gorgeous? I’m lucky.”

He has been in LA for the past couple of months because he is now starring as Adam Sandler’s sidekick in a movie called Bedtime Stories. In fact, he has Sandler, who appeared on The Russell Brand Show – his 2006 chat show – to thank for his LA sojourn. “He recommended me to his agent,” he recalls. “His agent said, ‘Do you want to come to LA and make films?’ I said, ‘How odd that you would say that. That’s exactly what I want to do.’ ” He also shares his agent with Sacha Baron Cohen and Chris Rock.

After that, Brand will star in another Judd Apatow comedy, but he will be commuting to and from the UK a lot over the next 18 months. He’s doing another series of Ponderland for Channel 4, some stand-up and another book. He’s also going to South America to make a documentary about “revolution” and meet people like the Venezue-lan president Hugo Chavez, if there are any other people like Hugo Chavez. And he and the film director Michael Winterbottom have finished the first draft of a script adapted from My Booky Wook.

When he first approached Brand, Winterbottom asked if he would like to play himself in the film. “ Yes!” he replied. “I’m not going to have lived that life so that when it gets turned into a film, some other f***er turns up and does it. That’s the payoff. It makes living that life worthwhile.” Sharon appears with a cup of coffee for me. “Got any cat’s milk?” Brand asks her. “Give him cat’s milk, Shaz. It’s the only way he’ll learn.”

Brand admits he has an uneasy relationship with fame and success. On the one hand, he has always craved it, and it has been the engine of his life and career. He went to drama school as a teenager because he realised, “Performing was my way out of Grays, conformity and myself,” he says in My Booky Wook. But later, he notes, “Once I finally got a bit of success, it became clear that my internal deficit of sadness and longing would not really be sated by the things I always thought would save me. The realisation made me turn to hard drugs – specifically her-oin – in an even more concerted way than I ever had before.”

I wonder if he finally eased up when he became really successful in the UK, two or three years ago? “No. Within about 15 minutes I thought, let’s go to America,” he says. “I’m aware that it’s vacuous, that it’s temporary, that it’s transient and meaningless, but I have enough love and regard for my art to feel validated in the pursuit of fame. If I was to spend the rest of my life performing stand-up in front of 30 people above a pub, I would carry on doing it. I would do it while under the spell of her-oin, but I would carry on doing it.

“May I say, explicitly and without any duplicity: I like being famous. I like it. I did it on purpose. I did it quite, quite deliberately. I went into it with my eyes open, and I won’t rest until there is not a single territory on this planet where I can’t go to a supermarket. Obscurity does not suit me. You can’t have this haircut and not be famous. It’s unbecoming.”

I tell him that I had seen him in a restaurant in LA a couple of weeks before. I thought he looked adrift in a place where nobody recognised him, apart from me. “And I tried not to stare,” I say. “I wish you had,” he says. “It would have been welcome. Out here, I’m just a man with strange clothing and odd hair.”

Brand says the worst thing about not being famous is that it’s harder for him to pick up women. “Everyone tells me it’s good for me,” he says. “It doesn’t feel good. What felt good was being able to just walk up to people, tug a forelock and know that an orgasm was only moments away. This new world, of endless protocol, is like f***ing living in a Jane Austen novel.” Although My Booky Wook begins and ends with his April 2005 incarceration in a sex-addiction clinic in Philadelphia, he seems to be unapologetically off the sex-wagon these days. He’s still clean and sober, though.

A couple of weeks after interviewing Brand, I catch a stand-up show he does in a small, 100-seat club on Hollywood Boulevard. He’s doing gigs every few weeks, trying out his persona and material on American audiences, although a good percentage of the house that night is British. The show is brilliant, a riot, running the uniquely Brand gamut from high-flown references (the poststructuralist philosophers Derrida and Lacan, the Method theorist Stanislavsky) to his love of “bumming” and the unrepeatable things he might do to the Queen if he was ever to be knighted and on his knees in front of her. When he describes meeting Macaulay Culkin in Hawaii and feeling he can’t ask him about Michael Jackson, he brings the house down. “Come on, mate, be honest. Michael Jackson. What happened? Neverland? Some-timesland.”

Brand knows that getting attuned to what works with live audiences is critical to his success or failure in America. “Stand-up is the spine of everything I do, me in relationship with an audience, because that’s what I like best, where there’s no filter,” he says. “My intention is to do films in tandem with stand-up comedy. The role models are Rich-ard Pryor, Woody Allen, Steve Martin. There exists a clear template in American entertainment that doesn’t exist in the UK. Pryor, really, he’s my hero in all of that.”

But as Brand faces the prospect of spending a lot more time in LA in the next few years, I wonder how comfortable he really feels about it. “I miss my cat, Morrissey, a lot,” he says. “And I miss my mum, I miss her loads.”

I get the sense, though, as he looks out from the patio of his house, across Hollywood, that he also feels a certain anxiety as he realises that his ultimate goal – to be world famous – may now be within his grasp. “At the moment, it is very exciting, all of this, coming over here, but I’m aware of how fragile it is, so I’m just trying to enjoy it,” he says. “And trying to live in the moment and remembering that the things that are ultimately important are not material or related to fame or orgasms.

“I met this swami, and I said, ‘I’m a bit ridden with egotism and ambition, I’m riddled with it, I’m alive with it, I’m crawling with the stuff.’ He said, ‘Don’t worry. It’s a gift from God. Use it in the service of God.’ Except he said Krishna, but I’m anglicising it to make it sound less oooooeeee. . .”

You have got to love a man who is so openly self-deprecating about his greatest desire. As Brand well knows. “Thanks for coming,” he says as I leave. “What a lovely journey we’ve had. Make me look beautiful.”

----------------------

there's been some amount of stuff about Brand lately - you'd think he was important or something!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Comedy News All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 4 of 11

Jump to: