NASA "lose" original moon-landing footage

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Conspiracies, Paranormal and the Unexplained
View previous topic :: View next topic  
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:05 pm    Post subject: NASA "lose" original moon-landing footage Reply with quote

NASA Lose Moon Films
Monday August 14, 2006

NASA has lost the original footage of man's first steps on the moon. Neil Armstrong's historic moment was seen by 600 million people in July 1969, but according to NASA the original tapes have been mislaid in their vast archive. They are now trying to track them down through paperwork dating back 35 years.

The television broadcast came from a camera that was pointed at a black and white monitor back on Earth. According to officials the footage could lay to rest the conspiracy theory that the landings were faked on a Hollywood sound stage.

Despite being the best record of the historic event, NASA simply filed the tapes away with other records. A spokesman for the space agency said: "We're trying to track them down through the paperwork created at the time. But it's 35 years ago so it's a challenge."

-------------

This is bound to add fuel to the fires of those who believe the whole thing was a setup for sure! How could such important documentary evidence be lost?
maycm
'cheeky banana'

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a bit more to this story, and that is the fact that the only place that still has the technology to play these old tapes and assist in conversion is a facility that is scheduled to close in the next couple of months.

That's why there is a race to find them now.

I can just imagine a warehouse containing tens of thousands of cases, with these tapes buried in there somewhere. Sounds like the end of the Indiana Jones movie when the Ark gets "stored"
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maycm wrote:
There's a bit more to this story, and that is the fact that the only place that still has the technology to play these old tapes and assist in conversion is a facility that is scheduled to close in the next couple of months.

That's why there is a race to find them now.

I can just imagine a warehouse containing tens of thousands of cases, with these tapes buried in there somewhere. Sounds like the end of the Indiana Jones movie when the Ark gets "stored"

yeah, I'm sure it is a large archive for sure, but it's not really an "archive" if there's not an archivist... it would just be a storeroom!

As far as converting the tapes is concerned, I'm sure it's not that difficult to find a way to convert. It's just magnetic media in a standard (for the time) format after all.
IRiSHMaFIA
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still on the fence about this one. I've read so much about it being a hoax that it almost sounds credible to me, but as I said, I'm still on the fence. Kind of reminds me of the film Capricorn One.

I agree with face. There's so much technology out there that it should be fairly easy to convert the film. That should be the least of their problems.
maycm
'cheeky banana'

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/08/15/nasa_footage_mishap

Quote:
However, if NASA does eventually manage to track down the material, the result may be nothing more than a face-saving exercise. Goddard's data evaluation lab is the only facility with the equipment to play back the tapes, and is scheduled for closure in October. And, even if the playback machinery were still available, Sarkissian added that the tapes are "so old and fragile, it's not certain they could even be played".
Gasman59
Resident Ghost Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a proud American. I've said a 1000 times that I love my country and fear my government and I for one don't believe that we stepped foot on the moon. That is my opinion and I'm allowed it. I think it was all propaganda to be the "better country" in the space race.
There is one simple way to prove it though. Did we not leave certain items behind on the moon ?? How about someone with a high powered telescope check out the moon and see if there are any traces of such left items on the moon ??? Confused
HandoGod

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Backup, backup, backup Confused
btaylo24
King of the PowderRoom

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come on guys, there were there...All the "its a lie" claims have been well shot down, from what I have seen.

To stage a stunt like that would of been impossible....

One day man will go back there, and I will laugh when they find Neil Armstrongs Pi** bags on the moon!
Even then the people who dont believe it will still make up some excuse.....

That USA documentory about non going was the biggest pile of plops I have ever seen....And that guy deserved a smack on the chops from Buzz Aldrin.......)

Some people just dot like the boring old truth...Stand outside ur window and look outside, up and around..Now thats strange!
The whole world is amazing, let alone worrying about conspiracy's!!!!

just my 1pence worth (and not even worth that)

dont hurt me!

Barry Surprised
alan1254
King of the Marshes

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cant believe that this is not true , they did step on the moon it was an amazing technological leap but it was done, the real conspiracy question is why does nasa still exist, just what have they and the trillions of dollars achieved over the past 30 years , nasa is refered to as America'a most expensive hobby , so what is the point of this amazingly expensive hobby? we went to the moon 30 years ago but we cant manage it now? it is well known that there are other shuttles that are owned by the military, is what keeps the programe going?, 7 or 8 years ago my wife and i were driving down the highway heading for Miami we looked out the window and saw a shuttle launch we pulled over to the side of I95 to watch and saw the craft explode a few miles after takeoff , it was not on the TV or in the papers so I assume it must have been a military launch as it was not reported at all, you just cant trust the elected officials in any county these days
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alan1254 wrote:
7 or 8 years ago my wife and i were driving down the highway heading for Miami we looked out the window and saw a shuttle launch we pulled over to the side of I95 to watch and saw the craft explode a few miles after takeoff , it was not on the TV or in the papers so I assume it must have been a military launch as it was not reported at all, you just cant trust the elected officials in any county these days

that's quite something - I'm sure there must be reports of it somewhere on the net

ok, on a search I could only find this:

It would be quite interesting to find out more about what you saw
luke

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i don't know if they went to the moon or not, but i know a lot of the photos definitely were not taken on the moon - no way. so if they did go, they took those photos after on that huge recreation of part of the moon they had.

the space program is a way of getting american people to be alright with giving zillions of pounds to nasa, which in turn is used for the military. nasa didn't even want the space shuttle as it is, the military dictated that - nasa wanted a much smaller craft.

i remember buzz aldrin hit some guy when he was asked to swear on the bible and say he did go - he wouldn't do it and just smacked the guy one ...
alan1254
King of the Marshes

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

all i can say is we saw it with our own eyes when we got to Miami we could not believe it was not being shown on every station , I95 is about 15 miles from canaveral it was a clear blue sky day , many cars had pulled over to watch it was not far downrange at all, perhaps it was not manned, but it certainly blew up, but my main point is what is the point of nasa they seem to perform school boy lab experiments and very little else , why would such a massive amount of money be spent to achieve what? what great things have been learnt over the last 30 years from all the shuttle and space station flights?
Luther Blissett
Free the weed!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone who recently sold a company which produced satellite equipment to the government (& military), some of which required him to have quite high level security clearance, tells me that the US have no military Shuttles. Of course, I don't expect anyone to take that as gospel, but there you are - just my 1p's worth.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is the explanation apparently... of course, with this being (the now highly private) conspiracy section I'll say that lack of good management was probably the cause of this whole malarkey. No conspiracy here, just a bunch of eejits who couldn't organise a trip in a field full of mushrooms - so move along please...

Then again... who knows. haha
major.tom
Macho Business Donkey Wrestler

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt this puts the conspiracy theory to bed.

Q. Where do most theorists believe the moon landings were actually shot?
A. Australia.

Q. Where were the tapes found?
A. Australia (of course).

Coincidence???

(cue ominous music)

Very Happy

The 1st article said that the missing recording was a film of an image shown on a black and white monitor. Even if found, it doesn't prove things either way, does it?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Conspiracies, Paranormal and the Unexplained All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: