Protests in Egypt
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:02 am    Post subject: Protests in Egypt Reply with quote

I really hope this works out for them. I hate the Daily Mail's little-inglander approach to reporting such matters, but they always provide good pictures...
luke

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've just caught the bbc report on this, although the organisers and the leaflets being handed out say the protests are a 'day of revolution against torture, poverty, corruption and unemployment.' the bbc removed the word torture

also, as you expect, hilliary clinton is backing mubarak. ahhh, the west and their dictator allies Smile
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come on the Egyptians!
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Situation in Cairo now: Thousands of people are on the street. People from all corners of Cairo are coming towards Tahrir square.

Alexandria: Almost all police stations have been burnt down.

Buildings of the ruling National unDemocratic party has been burnt all over Egypt.

http://www.facebook.com/elshaheeed.co.uk
luke

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VICE PRESIDENT JOE BIDEN: "Look, Mubarak has been an ally of ours in a number of things that he’s been very responsible on relative to geopolitical interests in the region, Middle East peace efforts, the actions Egypt has taken relative to normalizing relationship with Israel. And I think that it would be—I would not refer to him as a dictator. "

wow

so why do the americans like mubarak so much? what would the worry be if there were democracy in egypt and the people got to pick their leader? this council of foreign relations report sums it up;

"Washington would no longer be able to rely on Cairo to undertake initiatives that are profoundly unpopular with the Egyptian people."

and it might

"harm Washington’s capacity to operate effectively in the Middle East ... Cairo has historically provided Washington with political cover as the United States seeks to achieve its goals in the region."

http://i.cfr.org/content/publications/attachments/CPA_contingencymemo_4.pdf

so fuck the 'goals' of the people of the region, fuck all this protesting against 'torture, poverty, corruption and unemployment' - its all about the 'goals' of the united states! and if those 'goals' are best served by a dictatorship, well, we won't call it a dictatorship Smile
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Rumours spread after police withdrew very quickly that the Egyptian museum was about to get robbed. All TV channels were talking about attempts to enter to steal the museum. Once the rumour was spread, thousands and thousands of Egyptians have now made human chains all around the museum to make sure NO one enters. I'm so PROUD of you Egyptians

thumbs
luke

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RT @ajtalk: CONFIRMED: EGYPTIAN MILITARY ABANDONS THE BORDERS BETWEEN GAZA AND EGYPT #Jan25 #Jan28 #Rafah #Gaza #Mubarak #Police #Cairo
5 minutes ago via TweetDeck

http://twitter.com/1worldcitizen/status/31456360260440064
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BRILLIANT!!!

that's made my day
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are some great pictures from Egypt in this New York Times slideshow

CLICK
luke

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teenager showed me teargas canister "made in USA". Saw the same thing in Tunisia. Time to reconsider US exports? #Jan25 #Egypt 9:05 PM Jan 28th via web

http://twitter.com/bencnn

good to see the egyptian dictatorship are spending that 1.3 billion a year in military 'aid' from america ( and american tax payers ) on american goods - including tanks.

strange the americans are happy to provide equipment for egypt and others to brutally suppress their own populations, yet they won't allow medical supplies to cuba Confused maybe castro should agree to buy american weapons

strange silence from sarah palin and others who were so vocal in their support for protests in iran ...

be interesting when this is over to see an analysis of western government and media statements and coverage of the two events
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dancer
luke

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A computer-inspired message for Egypt's embattled president Hosni Mubarak

al jazeera and the guardian are both running excellent live blogs following the events, plus of course the al jazeera live stream
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not good to see the violence in Tahrir Square today - but I can understand it 100%. Those fuckers storming about on horses and camels must have thought they were invincible or something...
luke

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i missed it all kick off, but i've been catching up, and al jazeera has just started on freeview, and lots of people - various journalists and protesters, are saying these apparently pro mubarak protesters are security services/police, and most definitely organised. some that have been stopped have been found with their security id's!

In my area of Tahrir, the thugs were armed with machetes, straight razors, clubs and stones. And they all had the same chants, the same slogans and the same hostility to journalists. They clearly had been organized and briefed. So the idea that this is some spontaneous outpouring of pro-Mubarak supporters, both in Cairo and in Alexandria, who happen to end up clashing with other side — that is preposterous. It's difficult to know what is happening, and I'm only one observer, but to me these seem to be organized thugs sent in to crack heads, chase out journalists, intimidate the pro-democracy forces and perhaps create a pretext for an even harsher crackdown.

http://kristof.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/02/02/the-view-from-tahrir/?src=tptw

even the bbc ( whose coverage has been awful ) has this;

But from the morning there were thousands of his supporters on Cairo's streets, mobilised presumably by the ruling party, the NDP.

The pro-Mubarak demonstrations were well organised, not spontaneous.

Numbered buses unloaded supporters. Many placards looked as if they had been made by professional sign writers.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-12350643

http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/blog/2011/feb/02/egypt-protests-live-updates
http://blogs.aljazeera.net/middle-east/2011/02/01/live-blog-feb-2-egypt-protests

but i agree it's not good Sad
luke

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A protester carrying a banner addressing Mubarak: "The people want you to fall"...

some good pics from tahrir square http://www.flickr.com/photos/elhamalawy/page2/

edit - the daily mail have got some good pictures on this article

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> News mash All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: