Countdown conundrum?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 3:48 pm    Post subject: Countdown conundrum? Reply with quote

Here's something I just found funny on Countdown.. the first one is a contestant with Ricky Tomlinson second (in the dictionary corner)

Cool
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and from the same show (!) there's this funny clip...

AHend09
Sweet Scot

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMG, Is that eerie or what seeing both of them on the same show
maycm
'cheeky banana'

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This guy apparantly is one of those celebrity impersenators, so he deliberately dresses and presents himself that way.

My arse!
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LYNAM COUNTDOWN EXCLUSIVE: I'LL QUIT
By Nicola Methven, Tv Editor

COUNTDOWN is heading south after Des Lynam threatened to quit unless bosses moved the show from its lifelong home in Leeds closer to London. The former Match of the Day host claimed the 200-mile journey from his house in the capital to Yorkshire was too much for him - despite only having to film for about one week in four. Des demanded they move filming to a site near the M25 or face looking for a new presenter. Bosses yesterday agreed to shoot half the series in a studio near his home as a compromise. The hit series started on Channel 4 in 1982 and has been made by Yorkshire Television in Leeds for the past 24 years.

A Channel 4 spokesman said: "Countdown will begin filming again this September in Leeds. The show will stay in Yorkshire for the rest of the year, with filming at the new studios beginning early in 2007"

A source said: "Des is 63 and has said he's finding the travelling too much. "He wants the show filmed somewhere near the M25 so it's easier for him to get to. It's always been a Yorkshire programme. Richard Whiteley will be turning in his grave."

Des's demands mean that up to 40 production staff will now need to relocate during filming, although the production office - where researchers contact contestants and the programme is edited - will remain in Leeds. Pointing out Countdown is recorded in batches lasting a week, meaning Des gets about three weeks off for every one that he works, the source said: "He only films for about 50 days a year, which is 10 trips if he stays for the week. It's not as if he's having to get the bus up here. And let's not forget he's being paid ?600,000 for his troubles."

Des, whose autobiography is called I Should Have Been At Work, lives in Chiswick, West London, with long-term partner Rose Diamond. His co-host Carol Vorderman was said to have been happy to continue making the regular round-trip from her home in South East London.

Des took over from the late Richard Whiteley last autumn and soon proved a hit with viewers, quickly developing a rapport with Carol. Ratings for the show have increased with Des at the helm. When he landed the job last autumn, he beat off stiff competition from Noel Edmonds.

Earlier this year he told bosses he no longer wanted to make shows for Saturdays and they agreed to cancel the weekend edition. Last night Des's agent insisted he was perfectly happy working in Leeds. "Des has not asked for any changes," she said.

--------------

I hope I'm in the position to make demands of national institutions when I'm his age!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> General TV All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: