No Burka ban for England and Wales

View previous topic :: View next topic  
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:01 pm    Post subject: No Burka ban for England and Wales Reply with quote

That's good to hear. There's something like 10000 women in the whole of the UK who wear the burka, so to bring in a law simply to pander to the small-minded fools who make up the general public (as shown by the two examples in the clip) would be beyond idiotic.
modern

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What skin is it off anyones nose, if someone chooses to wear one or any item of clothing for that matter...
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The comments are worth reading if you haven't seen the type of ignorant bullshit that spouts from little Englanders on this subject... personally, I think the woman should be charged and punished for being a twat.

One of the main reasons why everyone wears clothing that covers the body is because of the effect of the sun. To be in 40c temperatures without being covered is the act of a lunatic - or as the old song says 'Mad dogs and Englishmen go out in the midday sun'.
Stones

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

faceless wrote:
I think the woman should be charged and punished for being a twat.

Smile Why was her immediate reaction to having offended someone to then try and offend as many more people as possible?

Also, there is a Debenhams in Dubai!
iraqia_Jasmin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its great to know there will be no Burqa ban in the uk,people should be free to wear whatever they like.
SpursFan1902
Pitch Queen

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When are travelers going to understand when you go to another country with a different culture, you go by THEIR rules in THEIR country. I can almost understand the kissing couple might not have even thought about it, just playing kissy face out of habit, but the bikini woman has no excuse. What an embarrassment...and for once not an American! Laughing

I am glad that there will be no burka ban too, but again, ,my above statement works in reverse. There are certain times in western culture that you have to show your face...drivers licenses and such and I know that those sorts of situations have been brought up. I think any face covering should be removed for that instance...baseball caps, big sunglasses, and even though the burka has more meaning than caps and glasses, it still obstructs the face and should be removed.
modern

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said Spurs, it's common sense in the end. Like Faceless mentioned above earlier about the Daily Mail comments - they just can't handle people looking or dressing differently to themselves.
iraqia_Jasmin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A muslim women is allowed to show her face in her passport she isnt covering her face in the passport picture she just wears the hijab(headscarf) thats allowed even in the west.
Colston

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Telling people to wear more or less is the same thing.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

French burka ban descends into farce
France's burka ban descended into farce when the first women to be summoned before a European court for illegally wearing the garments were refused entry, because they would not remove their face coverings.
Peter Allen
17 Jun 2011
telegraph.co.uk

Hind and Najet, who keep their features hidden at all times and refuse to identify themselves beyond their first names, were due to appear before a judge outside Paris. Both are accused of violating France's so-called "burka ban", which came into force earlier this year and prevents anyone covering up their faces in public.

But when Hind, a 31-year-old mother, tried to enter the court building in Meaux on Thursday, police held her back, telling her to take her head-covering off. Najet, meanwhile, simply stayed at home, with the 34-year-old saying she knew she would be stopped from entering.

"For the hearing to go ahead, you must remove the veil. Justice must be administered in a calm atmosphere," police commissioner Philippe Tireloque told Hind. Hind, who had brought her own handcuffs to wear as part of an organised protest at the court, replied: "I'll keep my veil on at all times. It's non-negotiable. The law forbids me from expressing myself, and indeed from defending myself. It forces me to dress a certain way, when all I want to do is live according to my religion."

Police are under strict orders not to remove face coverings themselves, meaning Hind was simply told to leave. Their court appearance was accordingly abandoned, as state prosecutors began trying to work out how they can deal with the challenge to the new law. They are expected to come to a decision in September.

The accused are both from the Paris suburb of Aulnay-sous-Bois, and were arrested in Meaux in May after travelling to an anti-burka ban protest. They face fines of £140 and an order to attend compulsory citizenship classes, at which they will be â taught' how to behave as upstanding citizens in a secular republic. Both deny the charge of covering their faces in a public place, saying the burka ban is "unconstitutional'. The case is likely to go all the way to the European Court of Human Rights, rather than seeing the defendants punished for what they chose to wear.

France is the first country in European to implement a full ban on covering up faces in public.

------------------

Laughing
Bradley

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd rather them ban any of the following first;

1) Hoodies
2) Track suit bottoms for people not doing sport
3) Baseball caps worn backwards

** this is not a serious post ** ;)
major.tom
Macho Business Donkey Wrestler

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bradley wrote:
I'd rather them ban any of the following first;

3) Baseball caps worn backwards

Backwards I can live with, but sideways looks downright silly.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> News mash All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: