EE: New producer to start in Feb 2010
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:14 pm    Post subject: EE: New producer to start in Feb 2010 Reply with quote

New producer set for EastEnders

Former Hollyoaks producer Bryan Kirkwood will take over as EastEnders executive producer in February when Diederick Santer steps down. Kirkwood spent three years producing Channel 4's Hollyoaks and for the past year has been working on its sister show, Hollyoaks Later.

"I'm a huge soap fan... it's a dream come true," said Kirkwood. "I'll be taking over a show at the top of its game - quite a daunting task but one I can't wait to get started on."

Since 2006, Santer has tackled difficult storylines about issues such as paedophilia and mental illness. He was also responsible for the creation of the Mitchell Sisters and the Masood family, plus the long-awaited return of Ricky and Bianca. "I've had the most fantastic time at EastEnders. It's without doubt the best job in telly, and I've loved every minute of it," said Santer. "I'm delighted that I'm passing the show on to Bryan Kirkwood. He's a vastly talented and original producer with a brilliant storylining mind. I'm confident that, under him, EastEnders will continue to thrive and to grow and to keep delivering the very best drama to its massive audience."

Kirkwood will take over in the year the soap celebrates its 25th anniversary - and also the year that Barbara Windsor, who plays pub landlady Peggy Mitchell, leaves the show. Santer will continue working for BBC drama production as an executive producer.

--------------------

I've never watched Hollyoaks, but it's aimed more at a younger audience so I wonder if he'll do the same with Eastenders.
SpursFan1902
Pitch Queen

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He might be smart to make EE a little more youthful and I don't mean kids/teens because we have that covered but there is an age bracket between the teens and the 30 somethings that isn't really represented, except for Janine and Ryan. We need some 20 somethings to go to R&R's and some young marrieds just getting started. Just so long as he doesn't completely change everything...
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I've never watched Hollyoaks, but it's aimed more at a younger audience so I wonder if he'll do the same with Eastenders.

I'm guessing he will..... I know that they're already to do some "webisodes" of EE geared towards the younger audience, so likely he'll expand on that.
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you Spurs. It would be nicer to have a bit more 20 somethings, young married/dating couples. We have teeny and late 30s and 40s mainly now, so a bit of a shake up there would be good.
SpursFan1902
Pitch Queen

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just don't want him to turn it into a teen soap ala 90210 or The O.C. - I am not sure what the English equivilant of those show are...except for possibly Hollyoaks (I have never seen it either).

I am sorry to see Diederick Santer leave as he really brought the show back around when we were starting to sag. He saw the errors in the Ferrara family and corrected them in the Massoods. He brought in the rotating writers and assigned the writers differently so that they were writing whole storylines and not just episodes...This new guy has pretty big shoes to fill.
HandoGod

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with you Spurs, just hope it doesn't become boring and like Hollyoaks has been for a few years.
SpursFan1902
Pitch Queen

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me too, Handogod. It's not like I will ever stop watching, but I hate it when EE is boring. We have been doing so well and gaining audience again, I would hate to lose that momentum.
SpursFan1902
Pitch Queen

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I watched E20...not sure what I think yet. I know that it is aimed at a younger audience, so these are just the grumblings of an old lady, but it is so urban...and not cool Eastend urban, new, hip hop "bruv" urban. Since the epis are so short it is not too much of a time investment and for now I will continue to watch, but we will see how long that lasts....

On a positive note, it is done well, with the exception of possibly Fat (or is it Phat) Boy. He is a little OTT. I like the interspursing of the EastEnder characters. The kids should interact with the old timers. I hope that continues.

My favorite line so far: Zsa Zsa to Lucy Beale "I would love to hang out all day with you, but I hate you!" "nuff said... It looks like Lucy may have met her match.
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't watched it yet Spurs. Going to try and watch it this weekend.
SpursFan1902
Pitch Queen

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do, Sky, and let us know what you think. I think it could probably grow on me...like I said the epis are short 15mins each, so it would be easy to fit it in. Is it going to be daily or will it follow EE's schedule?
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watched the first one...... was ok but not overly impressed. But, that being said, it was only the first episode --- I think we'll have to give it time.

Certainly agree with you on Fat/Phat Boy, spurs -- he's a little OTT isn't he? Smile
SpursFan1902
Pitch Queen

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He is and, at risk of sounding like my late father, sometimes I have no idea what he is talking about!! Laughing I figure it out, but....
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing
Twirley

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmmm...I'm with you Ladies on this! I watched the first three episodes and was a bit thrown by how it's really just about the teens. Maybe it's character setup so we understand the kids before we see the parents. I do like Zsa Zsa and Leon, not sure about Mercy and Fat Boy though.

Anyhow, I'll give it a go for a while and let you know.
SpursFan1902
Pitch Queen

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it is meant to be totally about the teens. I think we are going to get phone calls and such from the adults, but the stories are going to center on Zsa Zsa, Leon, Mercy and Fat Boy and what they get done for...oh I mean, up to... Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Soaps All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: