Viva Palestina - Gaza mission #4
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Pirty's Purgatory
View previous topic :: View next topic  
prpower

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aljazeera are now covering this:

http://www.livestation.com/channels/3-al_jazeera_english_english
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the FT's article from before the murders.

Delays plague flotilla of Gaza activists
By Tobias Buck in Jerusalem
May 30 2010 Last updated: May 30 2010 15:11

A flotilla of ships carrying humanitarian supplies to the Gaza Strip faced a series of delays and technical problems over the weekend, but activists said on Sunday they would launch their attempt to break the Israeli blockade of the territory as soon as possible. The Israeli navy has been preparing to intercept the convoy at sea and bring all boats and passengers into the port of Ashdod, setting the stage for a confrontation.

Activists suggested they would try to arrive off the Gaza coast on Monday after mechanical problems on two boats forced a delay to the original plan of landing Sunday. Israeli politicians again lashed out at the organisers of the flotilla, amid mounting concern among policymakers that the convoy will fuel international criticism of the country’s policy towards Hamas-ruled Gaza. Danny Ayalon, Israel’s deputy foreign minister, said on Sunday: “This is a provocation intended to delegitimise Israel.”

The “Free Gaza” convoy is made up of at least eight boats carrying some 700 pro-Palestinian activists from around the world, as well as 10,000 tonnes of humanitarian supplies. It represents the most ambitious attempt yet to break Israel’s sea and land blockade of the Gaza Strip. Apart from brief interruptions, Egypt’s border with the territory has also been sealed for years.

The flotilla has presented the Israeli government and military with an acute dilemma: letting the boats pass would severely undermine Israel’s policy of restricting the flow of goods and people into and out of the strip. The Israeli government says the blockade is necessary to pressure Hamas and prevent the supply of arms to Gaza-based militants. Israel also argues that there is no humanitarian crisis in the Gaza Strip because basic supplies are allowed to enter Gaza. The measures have all the same drawn harsh condemnation from human rights groups and parts of the international community.

The expected naval confrontation also carries risks for Israel. Many policymakers there are already concerned about what they see as a sharp decline in Israel’s international standing. They fear that images of Israeli navy boats forcefully intercepting a flotilla of ships carrying aid to Gaza will almost certainly provide fresh ammunition to the country’s critics. The Israeli dilemma was summed up by Ismail Haniyeh, the Hamas leader in the Gaza Strip, who said on Saturday: “If the ships reach Gaza, it’s a victory for Gaza. If they are intercepted and terrorised by the Zionists, it will be a victory for Gaza, too, and they will move again in new ships to break the siege of Gaza.”

There may also be diplomatic repercussions. The boats are sailing under a variety of international flags and include writers, journalists and legislators from countries such as Ireland, Sweden and Turkey. At least three boats are flying the flag of Turkey, which has traditionally been a strategic ally of Israel’s but which has grown increasingly critical of Israeli policies, especially over the past year.

-------------------

Fuck Israel.
modern

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far Presstv, Aljazeera and the mighty Euro News are covering it.

I'm waiting for the Israeli spin on this: Some Israeli PR on Sky and BBC later in the morning, I anticipate...
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers for that link pr

modern, I doubt there can be any spin on this which anyone but the most idiotic could believe. But I'm probably being too optimistic...
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watching the Al Jazeera stream now, there's a large movement on the streets in Turkey to attack Israeli diplomatic centres.

I'd be out there too if there was one near me.
modern

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I'm sure they'll get that Australian PR twat to say something...

This is an international incident that needs to be up before the UN. As far as I can make out, this took place in international waters, which makes this a major crime. I'd like to see how the U.S and U.K can show indifference to this.
major.tom
Macho Business Donkey Wrestler

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no low to which Israel will not plunge. It was utterly inconceivable that they would mount an armed assault with live ammunition on such a well publicized peaceful mission. One can only hope that there are serious ramifications for this shameful crime.
modern

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BBC or Sky won't even scroll this news along the ticker...

Anyway, I'm sure Turkey will take strong action. People there, are already trying to storm the Israeli Embassy.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just saw on the CNN ticker that 'Israel has said they can dock in an Israeli port'. No mention of the murders.
modern

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A least 10 people have been killed - Presstv!

Wicked bastards!
major.tom

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CBC: Israeli ships attack Gaza aid flotilla
BBC: Israel 'intercepts' Gaza flotilla, says Hamas (nice spin: 'intercepts', says a group we hate so why believe them?)
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

George Galloway talking about what's happened tonight.
major.tom

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

modern wrote:
A least 10 people have been killed - Presstv!

Wicked bastards!

http://presstv.com/detail.aspx?id=128420&sectionid=351020202

Shocked and outraged...
modern

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even though it's early in the morning, (here in the UK), the coverage so far from the British networks has been lamentable.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

at least one 'western' media source has reported this:

http://www.smh.com.au/world/paul-mcgeough-with-the--flotilla-in-gaza-20100529-wm9z.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Pirty's Purgatory All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 3 of 11

Jump to: