Wendy Richard - dying of cancer...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
seshme

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its good that she can spend her last weeks on the planet getting stalked by scumfuck reporters from the Mail.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chemo has hit me for six. But I'll beat this
EXCLUSIVE BRAVE WENDY OPENS HEART TO THE PEOPLE IN FIRST INTERVIEW SINCE STARTING CANCER TREATMENT
18 January 2009
David Jeffs And Sarah Jellema
David.Jeffs@People.Co.Uk

Brave Wendy Richard has spoken for the first time about her cancer battle and vowed: "I'm not dying. I'm staying positive because this illness won't beat me."

Fighter Wendy, 65, who lost her hair six weeks ago, waved courageously to onlookers after she left a clinic this week. Wearing a new blonde wig and a hospital tag, the actress who played EastEnders battle-axe Pauline Fowler for 22 years clung to new husband John Burns for support.

Speaking candidly about her fight against kidney and bone cancer, Wendy said defiantly: "Listen, I never said I was dying, that was other people saying that. Things are fine thanks. I've just had my fifth chemo session and it went OK." And with typical Pauline Fowler bluntness she added: "Other people are far worse off than me so I ain't worried." Opening her heart to The People, Wendy - who rose to fame as brassy shop girl Miss Brahms in the Seventies sitcom Are You Being Served? - revealed how she...

Lives like a recluse in her central London home because her immune system is so low and she worries about getting an infection.

Sleeps for hours during the day because the chemotherapy "knocks her for six".

Blends her food because mouth ulcers from the chemo make solids too painful.

Receives thousands of emails and messages of support from fans all round the world and fellow stars.

Bought three wigs but doesn't worry she's lost her famous blonde locks.

Wendy said: "I haven't been out much because the weather has been so cold. When you are on chemo your immune system is very low. So if I caught a cold it could be quite serious for someone in my position. I'd rather not take a risk. I spend my days watching TV and resting in-between chemo which I have once every four weeks in London's Harley Street. Usually a couple of days afterwards it kicks in and can knock me for six. It affects everybody differently. But I'm staying positive."

Wendy brought forward her wedding to John, 45, her partner of 13 years, a week after being diagnosed with her illness. The couple had an intimate ceremony at the Chesterfield Hotel in London's Mayfair last October with 60 family friends and showbiz stars. Just three days later the actress had her first chemo session.

Wendy said: "John has been absolutely brilliant, first-class. He's been there for me every step of the way, making sure I eat. The worst side-effect is that I get an ulcerated mouth which means I can't eat. I have to have my food blended to help. Mostly though I just nod off during the day"

And in a poignant message to Jade Goody, 27, who is battling cervical cancer and has just lost her hair, Wendy said: "Please offer my support and kindest wishes to her. If you are a woman losing your hair can be a really big deal, especially to someone as young as Jade. But my view is 'so what' - everybody in my position loses their hair but it's no big deal, it will grow back. I wear a wig, I've got three. It gradually started coming out six weeks ago but it's something you expect. It goes with the territory, doesn't it, and you move on. Some days if I'm not going out I won't wear one but I like to look my best at all times. My message to Jade is to persevere and stay positive."

Wendy was diagnosed with an aggressive form of cancer that had attacked her kidney and spread to her bones after she had TWICE beaten breast cancer. She said: "Twice I've had breast cancer but this is different. It's more aggressive this time. I have a cancerous growth on my right kidney and it has spread to the top of my spine and left ribs."

But despite her serious plight, Wendy, whose EastEnders character Pauline died in Albert Square on Christmas Day 2006, says she has been lifted by support from thousands of strangers and her show business friends.

The Middlesbrough-born actress who starred in two Carry On Films said proudly: "I've got emails and messages of support from all over the world. Thousands of them. I was really very touched. So many have been saying a Mass for me. One thing you must never give up is your faith in God."

Wendy, who is bringing out a TV documentary on her cancer battle which is due to be screened in March on BBC3, added: "I've had messages of support from all the old EastEnders cast which I'm very grateful for.

"All my old Are You Being Served friends have also called me - Trevor Bannister, Mollie Sugden and Frank Thornton have been in touch. I've had cards from Fern Britton, Paul O'Grady and Frank Carson just to name a few. Their prayers and kind thoughts mean so much to me and lift me when I'm down. My message to Jade and everyone else in my position is simple: Keep plugging away, keep positive and look to the future."

"You have to have a positive attitude. There's no point giving in is there? I'm certainly not thinking about dying. Wendy Richard is going to be around a long time yet, I can tell you. 'I am NOT dying - I will be around for a long time yet'
pirtybirdy
'Native New Yorker'

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad she has such a positive attitude with such a dire disease. She'll need it, and she'll need all the strength she can muster. It's a tough battle. It breaks my heart actually to read this. I wish her all the best in her fight.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some quite good pics of her through the years there too...
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wendy Richard dies after losing her battle with cancer
26th February 2009

Former EastEnders actress Wendy Richard has died. She was 65. The veteran actress died this morning at the Harley Street Clinic in central London with her husband John Burns at her bedside. Her agent Kevin Francis said: 'She was incredibly brave and retained her sense of humour right to the end.'

Wendy was diagnosed last year with an aggressive form of cancer that attacked her kidney and spread to the top of her spine and her left ribs. Wendy rose to fame as shop girl M'ss Brahms in the Seventies sitcom Are You Being Served? She later played Pauline Fowler in EastEnders for 22 years.
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My heart goes out to her family. I am very saddened by this news.
SpursFan1902
Pitch Queen

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just read this on Yahoo....so sad. She will certainly be missed. My thoughts go out to her family, both at home and on the square.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a report from the 6 O'clock News. There's a special tribute to her after Eastenders tonight, so I'll make that available later.
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RIP Wendy .
Kezza
Gone To The Dogs!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very sad indeed. Thanks for posting the clip from the 6 O'Clock news.
HandoGod

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RIP Wendy, a great actress!!
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the 30 minute tribute show that the BBC had on standby. These things always make me wonder how many others they have at hand...
SpursFan1902
Pitch Queen

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sure just like newspaper obits, they have these things made up of most of the really big stars, just in case.
11antoniacourt

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Face, thanks so much for posting the news. And thanks for taking the time to add the bitter-sweet BBC tribute for us all to view.

Rest in peace Wendy, you'll be missed.
SpursFan1902
Pitch Queen

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just watched the documentary on Wendy and it was very interesting. Alot of that early stuff, I had never seen. The single was a hoot!

The credits said that all of the co-star interviews were done for another documentary called "A Life on the Tube" I think, so they were already done and seemingly not that long ago.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Soaps All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: