Galloway stuff on YouTube

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Pirty's Purgatory
View previous topic :: View next topic  
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:48 pm    Post subject: Galloway stuff on YouTube Reply with quote

I was just looking for any new videos of Galloway on YouTube and found a truly wonderful sight to behold - that of about 4 people who'd chopped up the Question Time appearance a few weeks back into small chunks so they could upload it individually. Why did anyone bother once the first person had? It could only either be ineptitude or ego.

Also, don't they know about the other methods for sharing videos where you can get much better quality and length? I think it's all about their egos. They want to be seen to be the ones that get the most hits and that's all there is to it... and it's sad.

Without wanting to sound cheesy, the only people's videos on there that I look at are adycousins and nekokate. They both provide either original or unique content, and if all the people who wanted some of the limelight woudl do that it would be a lot better.

Now I'm off for some Sugar Puffs - that might get this bad taste out my mouth!
luke

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah i know what you mean. ages back when i put that pakistan debate up on youtube from the parliament channel, someone somehow ripped my versions and then re-uploaded them to youtube under their own name! except their version has some stupid flv to avi converter text bang in the middle of it. check how many times the galloway on sky news things on there ...

chomskyno1 puts some good stuff up, and greg palast now and then
popinjay

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Galloway stuff on YouTube Reply with quote

faceless wrote:
Also, don't they know about the other methods for sharing videos where you can get much better quality and length? I think it's all about their egos. They want to be seen to be the ones that get the most hits and that's all there is to it... and it's sad.

I think it's about reaching a wider audience rather than ego. Why would anybody upload anything to Guba when it's only going to be viewed by a few nerds and people with uber modems? YouTube reaches a lot more people. The quality and length issues are a small price to pay.
nekokate

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love adycousins stuff. I like how his video camera is stuck on the zoom setting, hehe!
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Galloway stuff on YouTube Reply with quote

popinjay wrote:
faceless wrote:

I think it's about reaching a wider audience rather than ego. Why would anybody upload anything to Guba when it's only going to be viewed by a few nerds and people with uber modems? YouTube reaches a lot more people. The quality and length issues are a small price to pay.

If you want populist shite then that's your choice, I want quality and variety myself. How does putting the same video on the same site four times increase the audience when you have to type the same thing in to get the results?

It's bollocks and these people are feeding it with their desire to be NUMBER ONE FAN.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luke wrote:
yeah i know what you mean. ages back when i put that pakistan debate up on youtube from the parliament channel, someone somehow ripped my versions and then re-uploaded them to youtube under their own name! except their version has some stupid flv to avi converter text bang in the middle of it. check how many times the galloway on sky news things on there ...

chomskyno1 puts some good stuff up, and greg palast now and then

I'll check them out, I think the chomsky guy signed up here a while back, but I'm not certain.

That sounds about right with the video you put up though - not only are they copying what's already there, but in doing so lowering the quality of the video!
popinjay

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Galloway stuff on YouTube Reply with quote

faceless wrote:
popinjay wrote:
faceless wrote:

If you want populist shite then that's your choice, I want quality and variety myself. How does putting the same video on the same site four times increase the audience when you have to type the same thing in to get the results?

It's bollocks and these people are feeding it with their desire to be NUMBER ONE FAN.

If you had a TV show, what channel would you want to have it on? BBC One or ITV 4? If you cared about reaching a wide audience, you'd have it on BBC One. Yeah, Guba can offer longer clips and huge files, but it's the same show at the end of the day. It's not like the quality of the YouTube videos is BAD, it's just not as good. And there's way more variety on YouTube than Guba, even if some of that is the same files repeated.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I cared about reaching a wide audience I'd examine have to wonder what made me that insecure.

I believe that good stuff will always filter out - thet 'Trial Of Tony Blair' got over 170000 views on Guba (though it's now deleted). That's 3x as much as the first episode of Curb Your Enthusiasm got on BBC4.
popinjay

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

faceless wrote:
If I cared about reaching a wide audience I'd examine have to wonder what made me that insecure.

I believe that good stuff will always filter out - thet 'Trial Of Tony Blair' got over 170000 views on Guba (though it's now deleted). That's 3x as much as the first episode of Curb Your Enthusiasm got on BBC4.

Sure, there are always exceptions. The fact is YouTube gets millions more hits than Guba though, and YouTube videos are exposed to a greater number of people. It isn't about insecurity or ego if you're uploading something political and want it to reach a large amount of people, it's about spreading the word and converting people to the cause.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exceptions that are created by quality and ease of use - partly my point in the first place.

Would those 170000 people have sat and watched that programme if it was in 10 parts on youtube? I very much doubt it.
popinjay

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

faceless wrote:
Exceptions that are created by quality and ease of use - partly my point in the first place.

Would those 170000 people have sat and watched that programme if it was in 10 parts on youtube? I very much doubt it.

Here's George on BBC HardTalk:

Guba - Full - 1910 views.

YouTube - Part 1 - 12,700 views
YouTube - Part 2 - 10,942 views
YouTube - Part 3 - 8,910 views

YouTube - Full - 13,528 views

Even at lower quality and split into parts, YouTube will pull in more viewers most times than Guba.
Mandy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me jump in here and say I side with faceless on this. Having the same video duplicated makes it harder to find unseen material amongst all the copies.

I also don't like a film split into x parts .. indeed, I have done work to recombine some splits.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I didn't realise you had shares in google.

can you now explain why any one person would upload a video when the same video is on the first page already? It's wankery.
Mandy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

popinjay wrote:

Guba - Full - 1910 views.

YouTube - Part 1 - 12,700 views
YouTube - Part 2 - 10,942 views
YouTube - Part 3 - 8,910 views

YouTube - Full - 13,528 views

I would have been happier if there was JUST 1 you tube (the full one) and the Guba one [cross-referenced]
Mandy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, splitting them up dilutes the message by reducing the hit count of any one video ... and splitting the feedback.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Pirty's Purgatory All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: