BNP bid to hijack Poppy Day

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Pirty's Purgatory
View previous topic :: View next topic  
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 3:49 pm    Post subject: BNP bid to hijack Poppy Day Reply with quote

BNP Bids To Hijack Poppy Day
By Mark Aitken And Norman Silvester
Nov 4 2007
www.sundaymail.co.uk

THE far-right BNP are trying to hijack Scotland's Poppy Appeal to win public support. The racist organisation have asked activists to volunteer to sell the emblems of remembrance for our war heroes. In a secret bulletin to Scots members, the party ask them to take advantage of a shortage of volunteers. The memo states: "We should be at the front of the queue volunteering to do our bit as we understand better than most the patriotic sacrifice made by those serving and ex-service men and women."

Last night, furious Poppy Appeal organisers said they were appalled by the BNP's sick bid to win favour. Jim Panton, chief executive of Poppyscotland, said: "I had no idea the BNP have tried to get involved in the Poppy Appeal. It's outrageous for any organisation or group to try to hijack the poppy for their own benefit or gain. It is a misuse and misrepresentation of the sentiment of the appeal and we would take a strong line against that. We are apolitical and have not asked any party to back us."

Brigadier Frank Coutts, 89, who served in the Second World War with the King's Own Scottish Borderers, added: "I used to sell poppies on the streets and I wouldn't want to be associated with any sellers from the BNP. Their beliefs are outrageous and contrary to the Royal British Legion's aims. They are disloyal to this country. The Poppy Appeal is a national institution of great importance and no one should be doing anything that might damage that."

Neil Griffiths, of the Royal British Legion Scotland, said: "We abhor any association with the BNP. I worked most ofmy military career with Gurkhas and feel angry by any level of racism when I encounter it. The BNP seem to have forgotten that the Indian Army in the Second World War had two million members. It was the biggest volunteer army in military history and it played a huge role in the war."

SNP defence spokesman Angus Robertson said: "Poppy Day is a day for remembrance by all for all who have made the ultimate sacrifice in conflict and a substantial source of support for our veterans. It is appalling for the far right to try to hijack it. Their repugnant views are rejected right across Scottish society and by our brave ex-service personnel. The poppy is a symbol of our unity and Scots will always wear it with pride."

Last year in Scotland, the Poppy Appeal raised £1.5million. This month, more than 10,000 volunteers armed with 60,000 collection cans will sell poppies. This year's appeal was launched on Wednesday by First Minister Alex Salmond and Scotland football team manager Alex McLeish.

Last night, Kenny Smith, the BNP's Scottish organiser, said: "We are not a Nazi or fascist party. We are not racists. We are patriots who believe that those who laid down their lives for this country in two world wars should always be remembered. There is no way we are hijacking the poppy appeal for political purposes."

THESE are the BNP members who could be selling you poppies this week.

Warren Bennett was one of 58 Scots banned from the Scotland v Norway match during France 98. He was paid to protect BNP leader Nick Griffin on a visit to Glasgow after the racist murder of teenager Kriss Donald. Scott McLean, 33, of Glasgow, was photographed giving a Nazi salute at a Blood and Honour skinhead festival. Steve Blake, an IT consultant, of Stirling, runs the BNP website. He imported hardcore Nazi material from the US in the 80s. Kenny Smith, of Dennistoun, Glasgow, is editor of the Scottish edition of the British Nationalist magazine. William Hamilton, a former director of Hamilton Academical FC, stood against Mohammed Sarwar in the 2005 election.

-----------------
popinjay

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be wearing a white poppy, if any. Fuck the red ones.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whenever I think of remembering British soldiers the first thought that comes into my head is the Bloody Sunday massacre.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Pirty's Purgatory All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: