Sudan man forced to 'marry' goat
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lostinthestates

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 3:58 am    Post subject: Sudan man forced to 'marry' goat Reply with quote

This story is sort of funny/disturbing!

Sudan man forced to 'marry' goat
A Sudanese man has been forced to take a goat as his "wife", after he was caught having sex with the animal.

The goat's owner, Mr Alifi, said he surprised the man with his goat and took him to a council of elders.

They ordered the man, Mr Tombe, to pay a dowry of 15,000 Sudanese dinars ($50) to Mr Alifi.

"We have given him the goat, and as far as we know they are still together," Mr Alifi said.

Mr Alifi, of Hai Malakal in Upper Nile State, told the Juba Post newspaper that he heard a loud noise around midnight on 13 February and immediately rushed outside to find Mr Tombe with his goat.

"When I asked him: 'What are you doing there?', he fell off the back of the goat, so I captured and tied him up."

Mr Alifi then called elders to decide how to deal with the case.

"They said I should not take him to the police, but rather let him pay a dowry for my goat because he used it as his wife," Mr Alifi told the newspaper.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just as well that kind of tribal law doesn't apply here, or there'd be thousands of highlanders walking about with sheep on their arms!
Lostinthestates

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

faceless wrote:
just as well that kind of tribal law doesn't apply here, or there'd be thousands of highlanders walking about with sheep on their arms!
Very funny Very Happy
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seriously though, I think it's a good punishment - the guy will be embarassed and made to look a fool which is far better than having to bring the "real" law into it.
Aja
Reggae Ambassador

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

faceless wrote:

Aja Falls over laffing goofy
Lostinthestates

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he was very lucky they didn't chop parts of his body off! I think that's what is much more likely to happen in those areas. So I think he got off very lightly - just marrying the goat Very Happy
nekokate

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Sudan man forced to 'marry' goat Reply with quote

Quote:
"When I asked him: 'What are you doing there?', he fell off the back of the goat, so I captured and tied him up."

That is one of the funniest sententences I've ever read!

I wonder if the goat divorces him he'll have to give it half his stuff?
IRiSHMaFIA
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that story is really old. I remember reading it ages back, unless it's happened again.

Either way it's pretty mad!
girldorksrule
Arrrrrrr...scurvy!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cannot breathe I'm laughing so hard.
tasst

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This one gets around. It was in our office in Canada today.
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bah! What a story!
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sudan's famous goat 'wife' dies

The best-known goat in Sudan has died months after being "married" to a man in the South Sudan capital, Juba, the BBC has learned. Local elders ordered a man found having sex with the goat, called Rose, to pay a dowry and "marry" her last February. "The idea was to publicly embarrass the man," says Tom Rhodes, editor of the Juba Post, which first ran the story.

The BBC's story of the "wedding" caught the public imagination and became one of the best read internet stories. Charles Tombe said he was drunk at the time but has since refused to comment on the issue. The kid is owned by Mr Tombe. Rose, black and white, is believed to have died after choking on a plastic bag she swallowed as she was eating scraps on the streets of Juba.

More than a year after the BBC story was first published, it is still picked up by various web forums and recently got more than 100,000 page views for five successive days. Over time, it has received several million hits - making it historically one of the biggest-hitting stories the BBC News website has published. A Google search uncovers more than 1m different web pages, based on the same story. Mr Rhodes, a Briton who helped found the Juba Post in 2004, was shocked when he learned how many people around the world had read the story his newspaper had originally published as a short, light-hearted account and not even bothered to publish on its website. "Wow - what have we done? We have triggered a monster," he said.

He said that he had seen that it occasionally returned in the BBC's "Most read stories" and was worried that he would have trouble with South Sudanese, accusing his paper of tarnishing the image of the region - now trying to rebuild after 21 years of war. But he says he has not come across any such anger. "It doesn't portray Sudan in a bad light - it shows the Sudanese have a sense of humour," he says, referring to the elders' original punishment. He has, however, had people come up and say to him: "Oh, you're the goat man."

Mr Rhodes explains that South Sudan remains a conservative society. If a man is caught sleeping with a girl, he is ordered to marry her immediately in order to save her honour and that of her family, he says. This was the basis for Mr Tombe's punishment. After the hearing, Mr Tombe was ordered to pay a dowry of 15,000 Sudanese dinars ($50, at the time). Afterwards, he left with the goat, not quite hand-in-hand, more hand-in-hoof, to his home in the Hai Malakal suburb of Juba - and not in Upper Nile State as we originally reported.

--------------
Lostinthestates

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read this story on the BBC webpage and thought it was hilarious that a man marying a goat would be the most read story on the webpage taking into consideration the BBC News site is there to comment on the world's major stories. I guess a Sudan goat being courted by a guy is much more interesting than the wars around the world thumbs
Marcella-FL
Don't make me pull this van over!!!

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmmm ... his goat wife choked on a plastic bag, eh? Sounds suspicious ...
fritz

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me think's there should be an investirgation. sherlock
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> News mash All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: